Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHASA III View Post
Since getting back into boating, I'm interested in adding a Class B AIS transponder to the boat, for the obvious safety enhancements. Watching your travels has just added to this interest.

I've been surprised, however, to see your AIS reports disappear at times. The Spot reports have been consistent, as I've found with my motorcycle touring. The AIS doesn't seem as reliable.

At the present time, Spot is showing you a little south of Cape Blanco (at 11:18 AM), but the AIS is MIA. I wonder if that's due to the 2W mode for Class B units? While I've used Spot Messenger for years, I have little experience with the AIS units, so this might be the norm?

-Vic
We need to remember that AIS is primarialy a vessle to vessle safety system. The shore based component does not generally have a real time safety implication.

Ship to ship you can look at other vessles within VHF range, and use that data to determine a best course to work your way through them. It is a addition to RADAR. The vessels will show up on your chart plotter (and or your radar) even if they are not dicernable on RADAR due to land contours, etc... You can see a target, and instantly know its speed, bearing, etc...

So, is AIS reliable? yes it is ship to ship. The land based component is only as reliable as the link to a shore station. No link, no land based AIS.

www.mvlisasway.com
Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
OK...that clarifies it. I knew Spot talked to the birds, and suspected that the AIS VHF limitations might be a factor. Considering that, since any of the big boys that might do you harm would be in range, the AIS seems like a huge addition to the safety margin. I spent too many times going from Pt. Townsend to Victoria, getting nailed by the fog, & wishing for at least a radar! I now have the radar, but AIS seems like a useful augmentation.

Hope your seas are smooth.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #83
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Next time you see a USCG bird, get on 16 and request a humanitarian drop of Klondike bars....
LOVE IT!!! If they can land in my front yard to pick them up!
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #84

City: Seattle, Salmon Bay
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 1987 Cheer Men Marine PT42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
... We spent most of the day in water too deep for pots so that was a good thing. The depth finder reads down to 500’ and it was not reading for a couple of hours yesterday. The charts showed we were in 200 fathoms (600’) for awhile so that’s what happened. (my bold)
Right when you think these guys know what they're doing...

Just kidding. I am enjoying the adventure.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #85
Veteran Member

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Following Seas
Vessel Model: 2001 Bayliner 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic View Post
Right when you think these guys know what they're doing...

Just kidding. I am enjoying the adventure.

Don't worry. He did a head smack when he realized the mistake, but he's been on watch so he will have to correct that little gaff later.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #86
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Just curious how you guys are getting internet access? I'm assuming you are posting some of these posts while offshore.

Ron
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #87
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
Just curious how you guys are getting internet access? I'm assuming you are posting some of these posts while offshore.

Ron
Ron the National Security Agency is picking up their transmissions and passing them along.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post

Ron
Ron, I was told that northern California would be a dead area for cell reception, but with a marine antenna installed and a 4G Wilson Sleek on the Verizon network, we have had almost constant cell reception. 20 miles northwest of Eureka right now and while it happens to still be 1X service, we are getting 4 bars. Will be at least 3G in Eureka.

The only real dead spot we have encountered is the northern Washington coast for about 50 miles. Other than that, we have been connected almost all the way.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #89

City: Portland OR
Vessel Name: Tamaroa
Vessel Model: Krogen Express
We found cell reception spotty below Brookings. We saw nothing in the water to run into except whales and the occaisional crab pot and kelp. The Coast Guard helicopter was probably doing routine fishery patrol but we have also been told by helicopter crew members that they also video tape boats underway for homeland security purposes. You can sometimes contact a helo on VHF ch. 83. Good luck at Mendocino, biggest seas I have ever seen. uncomfortable but not dangerous. These were conditions as of last week on our North bound trip from Newport Beach........
Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #90
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Day 6
We just arrived in our first California marina, here at Eureka. What a beautiful day it was for being out on the ocean. The temps were probably in the high 60’s to 70’s, there were almost no winds, the clouds burned off by around 10:30 and it turned out to be a great day.

We left Coos Bay around 0715 after taking on a full load of fuel and it was about 7:00 p.m. when we got here, covering about 170 miles in that 12 hour period. I don’t think it could have been a better day. We saw a couple of whales, had some dolphins playing around the boat this morning an got to dodge some crab pots here and there during the day.

We cruised around 14-15kts and this afternoon we had a following sea pushing us along at times at speeds up to 16+ knots. I don’t have any pics of the whales; sorry but they were there then gone too quickly. I do have some photos and videos of what was just a beautiful day on the water. I’m going to make this short so I can add some comments to the forum comments and questions.

This is what it looked like all day long. What a great day on the ocean.

Some clouds over the CA coast.

USCG Station Eureka, CA

Following Seas at the dock in Eureka

I'm loading some videos to Youtube and will post them when they're loaded.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #91
GFC
Guru

Here are some videos I took today. I hope you enjoy watching them as much as I enjoyed being out there to video the day.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #92
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
For once, a blissful day!

What's your next immediate destination and ETA?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #93

City: Bording
So being an european i had to google a Klondike bar since we dont have them here...

That led me to urbandictionary.com and a " Kentucky Klondike Bar" biiiiiiig mistake!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #94
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
[QUOTE=Torben DH;
That led me to urbandictionary.com and a " Kentucky Klondike Bar" biiiiiiig mistake![/QUOTE]

I don't get it either, and the Kentucky version didn't help. AAHHHK! That is beyond comprehension.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #95
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torben DH View Post
So being an european i had to google a Klondike bar since we dont have them here...

That led me to urbandictionary.com and a " Kentucky Klondike Bar" biiiiiiig mistake!
Now that is funny! I guess if you don't live here you wouldn't know these:

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #96
Guru

City: somewhere
They're probably illegal in Europe because of all the chemicals in those things...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
For once, a blissful day!

What's your next immediate destination and ETA?
As we see it right now it looks like either Ft. Braqg, or if conditions permit, Bodega Bay Saturday, then the Golden Gate and Bay Area Sunday. The is a best case scenario.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #98
GFC
Guru

Good Morning. We're going to sit it out today in Eureka. It's as calm as can be right now but winds are forecasted to be in the 30-35 range with 8' seas on 8 seconds. That probably would mean an 8' sea + a 2'-3' wind wave which would result in 11' seas on 8 seconds.

I've learned on this trip that the longer the period between swells and the shorter the waves, the more manageable they are. When they hit the magic number where the swell height + the wind wave height are approaching the time period between swells, that is not a good time to be out there. An example of that would be a 5'-8' swell with a 2' wind wave on 10 seconds.

That's about what we were in on the way to Ilwaco and you've seen what that looks like. It's not so much the swell height that's the problem. We were in some 8' swells yesterday, but the time between swells was very long so they weren't any problem. The boat just rides up and over them.

As some of you may have noticed, I'm not posting during the day while we're moving. I have a vertigo problem that prevents me from doing that but if I maintain my eyes on the horizon I'm fine. It's when I start looking down at instruments or trying to read or type that it kicks in and it ain't fun. That's why you'll usually only see my pics and videos posted after we're at the dock.

Thus far, this trip has been a good education for me and it's getting me better prepared for when GW and I take our boat around the coast and spend a summer in Canadian waters. I'm grateful for the opportunity to get this first hand knowledge before we strike out on our own.

This boat is very well equipped and quite comfortable for cruising. It's about the same length as mine but 1.5' wider and has a different roll rate than mine. That took a bit of adjustment when we first started but after a day or so I've gotten used to the roll rate of Following Seas.

It's amazing to me how those diesels just keep on ticking. When I was buying my boat I talked with a Cat dealer about my 3406C's and he said they were designed to run at or near WOT 24/7. We've been running 12+ hours and day and the hum from the diesels is almost putting us to sleep, especially on a day like yesterday.

Walking around on the boat is a bit challenging even with calm seas. Every step you take when you're running on the ocean requires having a hand on something....cupboards, stair rails, etc. Even a simple thing like coming down from the helm to the galley to get something requires holding on. I know that before I take our boat around the coast I'm going to be putting some additional grab rails on the interior.
Well rested GFC
Old 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #99
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I was disappointed yesterday that the AIS stopped north of Eureka last info Received: 0d 17h 20min ago. Are you experiencing a problem with it or just poor service? Love following your journeys on the google satellite photos. To many of us this is the only way we be able to make this trip.

Have FUN and be SAFE.
Thanks for sharing all the info.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #100
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Your video's make me miss my fast cabin cruiser I had before my GB. It's great seeing the water move fast under your boat. Thanks, I guess.

Love your tutorial as well. Especially the wave timing and how it dictates the roll of the boat.

Have a great day at sea and I can't wait for your next report.

I just have to ask, what is the fuel bill so far and what are you paying per gallon? Do they give a discount for over 200 gallons like my fuel depots?

Closed Thread