Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
How does the spot work? Is it off the new VHF radios? Does it cost?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
It's a small satellite transponder. It transmits every 10 minutes and for $49/yr you can tell the world where you're at.

You can track them here:

SPOT Shared Page

The SPOT itself costs about $100.

They transmit in the UHF band @ 1610.73 to 1620.57 MHz, Receive @ 2484.39 to 2499.15 MHz

Old 06-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I love the pictures and hoping for the best of journeys!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
Guru

Land on the left navigation right now. lol
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Hey-if the land is on the left, at lest you know you are headed in the right direction!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
What's next for you guys after this one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Everest.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	20605  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A September voyage would probably be easier. But hang in there!
Now you tell em!!

So to recap, you've got GoAweigh, GFC and StuartT on board, right? Who's who in the picture at the table?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 06-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
So to recap, you've got GoAweigh, GFC and StuartT on board, right? Who's who in the picture at the table?
GFC (Mike), GoAweigh (Doug), GFC and StuartT (Stuart)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Well we FINALLY made it to Ilwaco, WA. This has been a heck of a day. We started out about 0730 from Neah Bay under sunny skies, flat seas with no winds and just a beautiful day. We passed inside of Tatoosh Island rather than go around the outside and we headed down the coast of WA. This is an area where there are almost no roads so the only ways to see it are by boat or by air.

It stayed calm for a couple of hours but then the seas started to build. By lunch time it was getting REAL nasty with the marine weather saying 4’-7’ seas and I believe every bit of that. We were running about 9-10 kts as we headed south but after awhile we stepped that up so we were doing about 12-13kts. The seas continued to build so we had to slow back down a bit.

To make a long story short, this day seemed like it would never end. The seas were on our stbd bow so we were rolling a bit and at times it seemed like we were going to drop into a hole between the waves. Spray going everywhere, the wind blowing the spray over the boat, and nobody on board could stand up without leaning against something or hanging tight to something.

But all good things must come to an end and finally it did. As we came down the coast and got into the channel to cross the infamous Columbia River Bar, we were taking the seas on our stern. They calmed down a lot and as we crossed the bar we were in about a 2’-3’ swell with a light chop on top. We crossed the bar in the calmest seas we’d seen for hours.

So here we are, tied to the dock and it’s time for a toddy. For dinner we’re having the halibut filet that the Indians gave us last night and as soon as my head and stomach settle down a bit I’ll get to the cooking duties.

I have some photos but the internet service here is pretty spotty and it will take some time to upload them. I’ll post them as soon as I can.

Bruised and battered GFC
Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #30
Guru

Having fun yet?

Remember when they say 4-7 foot out there, they're talking about "significant wave height".

Significant wave height is the average of the highest 1/3 of the waves present. Not necessarily the highest. You might catch a few 10 footers.

Watch that forecast for tomorrow. The bigger stuff is always south of ya. It can get real chunky from the Oregon border south. I've never been on anything that small, but made that trip dozens of times. It's big water that deserves to be paid attention to. Be safe guys.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #31

City: South Puget Sound, WA
AIS is showing 17.5 kts for Following Seas when you were off Westport. I trust you boys will get a good night's sleep. Best wishes.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Following Seas
Vessel Model: 2001 Bayliner 5788
When it started getting rough, I decided to get on up on the step rather than act like a bobbing cork. It decreased a lot of the bouncing, but impacts with some of the larger swells would take your breath away. We had sacrificed some headway at 10 - 11 knots so increasing our speed to 17 knots, then backing off to 13 knots brought us back on schedule and we made the Columbia River Bar in perfect position to make the bar crossing without incident.

We had an outstanding halibut dinner that GFC Mike prepared, courtesy of the Makah Indian Nation, and will get a much needed nights rest. We will stay in Ilwaco tomorrow to pass up a marginal forecast for the Oregon coast and get set up for an earl departure Wednesday morning.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
What's next for you guys after this one?
It's easier breathing at sea level.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
But all good things must come to an end and finally it did. As we came down the coast and got into the channel to cross the infamous Columbia River Bar, we were taking the seas on our stern. They calmed down a lot and as we crossed the bar we were in about a 2-3 swell with a light chop on top. We crossed the bar in the calmest seas wed seen for hours.
Whew!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

As it looks right now, the weather improves for a tomorrow am departure, probably to Florence, a 133 NM run (bar entrance to bar entrance).

Will spend some time today working on porthole leaks in the forward stateroom. They are fixed so we may have to pull and reseal them.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #36
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Well it sure feels good to have had a good night's sleep. I went to bed some time around 10:30 and just got up at 7:30. We're stuck in Ilwaco today because the weather/wave report looks a lot like what we had yesterday. I'm not feeling a bit bad about spending the day here rather than going out.

Yesterday was not fun for me. I had breakfast some time shortly after we rounded the NW corner of WA state when we were in beautifully calm waters. Then I gave it all back around lunch time when we were getting tossed around so much. That's the first time in my 65+ years that I've ralphed due to rough seas. Yuck.

I did manage to take some photos yesterday and also some videos. The internet service here is pretty slow so I'll wait until later to load them but I'm going to post the pics and identify what they are.

Cruising along the Straits of Juan de Fuca, the extreme northern coast of WA. Much of this land is inaccessible by road so you can only see it by air or water.

More of the same. These cliffs remind me of some of the areas along the Columbia River that I've posted pics of before.

More of the same. This area is really pretty.

Our first real good look at Tatoosh Island. It sits right at the NW corner of the state. Most of the boats that pass through here go out and around the island. There are many underwater shallow shoals that require you go out a mile or more around the island. Rolland (the USCG guy) told us he used to take his 190' ship between the island and the mainland and showed us where the passage was. We took that and saved probably an hour of transit time. It's a relatively narrow channel but easily wide enough for us to pass through.

Tatoosh Island Light and some of the surrounding islands and rocks.

The next two shots were taken while we were rocking and rolling around. They really don't do justice to the way things really were. As I said earlier, I took some videos and will try to upload them to Youtube later today or tonight.

I have a video camera that I used a few times yesterday and will try to post those videos to Youtube so I can share them. The problem we had was that when the going really got rough enough for good videos it took both hands to hold onto something. As an example of how we were rolling around, at one point Stuart was sitting on the helm seat. It's on a wide base but not mounted to the floor. The chair (and Stuart) were tipped over due to the waves. I managed to reach up and grab his arm and he got a foot down on the floor before he went all the way over or he might have bashed his head against the helm cabinets.

I'm going to get some breakfast so I'll see y'all later.

Well rested GFC
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
Guru

Great pictures. Keep em coming.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great stuff, guys! No doubt many of us would be right there at the rail with you, Mike.

Enjoy your day in the harbor. And good luck sealing the portlights.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #39
Veteran Member

As we sit here in the Ilwaco marina, there are whitecaps in the inner harbor between the docks. I went up to the office a few minutes ago and almost lost my hat several time. I feel for anyone out there in a small craft right now.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #40
Guru

City: somewhere
Sounds like you made the right choice.