Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Ouch, $2300.00 one way for a small pleasure boat is mind boggling. I have travelled the Trent Canal, the Welland, the Rideau, the Erie and St Lawrence seaway for a fraction of that. The St Lawrence seaway which is a comparable commercial system handling traffic from all over the world has 15 locks and stretches a numbing 3000 kilometers from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic ocean and it can be traveled one way for about $450. By comparison, I read the panama is only about 80 Kilometers and way fewer locks.

I guess I won't be doing the Panama anytime soon, unless of course I was going to stay on the Pacific side.

It's very expensive for a leisure boat, but do have to say a mariners dream looking at all the big vessels in such close proximity to smaller leisure ones. Alll perfectly choreographed till the large vessel enters the lock first and clicks it into ahead. Then a little excitement for a few moments.

captainoftrasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
From the Panamanian perspective, it's what the traffic will bear. The canal's maritime traffic doesn't benefit Panama (the goods are to/from elsewhere) except as an income-generating machine.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
From the Panamanian perspective, it's what the traffic will bear. The canal's maritime traffic doesn't benefit Panama (the goods are to/from elsewhere) except as an income-generating machine.
the traffic TOTALLY benefits panama.. in income!.. when a cruise ship costs $ 75,000+ for a one day trip.. and a cargo ship can cost
$125,000.00 the country is doing rather well off the canal.

I was blown away how far panama has come in the last 20 years.. panama city is a metropolis...

Between the canal and the internet cable crossing the place is a major commerce center.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Ouch, $2300.00 one way for a small pleasure boat is mind boggling. I have travelled the Trent Canal, the Welland, the Rideau, the Erie and St Lawrence seaway for a fraction of that. The St Lawrence seaway which is a comparable commercial system handling traffic from all over the world has 15 locks and stretches a numbing 3000 kilometers from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic ocean and it can be traveled one way for about $450. By comparison, I read the panama is only about 80 Kilometers and way fewer locks.

I guess I won't be doing the Panama anytime soon, unless of course I was going to stay on the Pacific side.
when you consider the cost to get the boat, outfit it, get it as far as panama from either Northern coast of the US the cost is insignificant.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #25
Guru

Took a chance and went out with the boat with the temps only in the middle seventies and passed this RO/RO unloading in San Diego Bay. They come in twice a week and disgorge cars and trucks. Talkin' to one of the drivers who told me they take cars damaged in transit, back to Japan for destruction because Americans fixed them up and sold them as new. (?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb Race 001 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	27419  

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote