Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Weather Router Needed - Quick Circumnavigation of Vancouver Island

Greetings,

A pal and I are going to run IRENE around Vancouver Island. We will probably take three days; possibly two and no more than four. I would like to consult with a professional, a day or two prior to launch, once a weather window appears. Once we launch, we will no longer need their services.

Can anyone recommend a weather professional that is reasonable and particularly suited for this mission, please?

Many thanks,

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
You trying to win a bet, set a record, or has this been an irresistible itch that just won't go away?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Guru

Unless there is a pot of gold at the end of the run why? Even with moderate weather at this time of year it could not be a fun ride and the scenery what fog rain and mist. You and your crew may get very tired with that schedule at high speed and that can lead to big trouble. Really curious as to why aside from its there to be done.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Commanders' Weather
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
It appears that the boat in your Avatar lacks radar. The weather the past few weeks has been horrible for very large vessels on the route you are planning. More coming. Have you talked with the CG out of Esquimalt about your plans and safety gear? Knowing the route and weather you are contemplating makes me nervous on your behalf, scared too.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
It appears that the boat in your Avatar lacks radar. The weather the past few weeks has been horrible for very large vessels on the route you are planning. More coming. Have you talked with the CG out of Esquimalt about your plans and safety gear? Knowing the route and weather you are contemplating makes me nervous on your behalf, scared too.
Thank you for your concern, Sunchaser.

IRENE has radar - its just not visible in the avatar photo. It's behind the inflatable boat, in the grey bag, on the cabin top.

We are not going now - in addition to the poor weather there are many other reasons NOT to go in January. Once the days get long and we get (hopefully) a blocking high weather pattern, we will select an appropriate window and go. We will have more than sufficient experience and ample safety gear aboard.

Are you able to recommend a weather professional, sir?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Are you able to recommend a weather professional, sir?
Whew, glad you're not going this month. My experience on the West Coast of VI and BC has been easily accomplished with Environment Canada marine weather, buoy observation data and marine weather radio.

Weather routers I am familiar with may not provide the quick hit you are looking for. One is a really bright guy out of FL - Bob Cook. Two commercial and large yacht routers are Weather Routing Inc and Advanced Weather Technologies.

Those 16 hour days will be nice at 20 knots. Are you going CW or CCW around the island?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Are you going CW or CCW around the island?
Likely CCW, based upon advice and the likely swell direction. I will remain flexible if the right weather arrives...it might be nice to come "down" the Johnstone Strait.

I read about two similar-sized boats that did the Pacific Challenge, and I believe they both went CCW.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #10
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
CCW, with the prevailing winds and swells on the outside and in Juan de Fuca.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Guru

CCW on the outside. On JdF, as you well know, beware the opposing tides and strong winds, ditto Johnstone Strait. Tide/current timing and marine wind weather watch will provide the guidance you need on the Straits. Forget about a router (except for verifying Env Canada maybe) on the Straits, too many local variables IMHO.

Some years ago on JdF I ran a 21' SeaRay cuddy going east with a strong westerly and on the flood. Great time at around 12 to 25 knots and throttle hand control required with 6 to 8' breaking swells, I would not have done it though going west.

You will have fun and so many places to duck into if issues arise.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #12
Guru

Thank you to all that offered advice. I hope to offer a trip report upon conclusion.

Best Wishes
Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Environment Canada has a "talk to a meterologist" 1-900 line. Evidently towing companies use this service to look for possible weather windows to bring tows through exposed areas. The number I have is 1-900-565-6565: "Weather One-on-One Forecaster Consultation (1-900-565-6565...for cellular telephone access and credit billing)". According to the EC guy I met at the boat show, towing companies use this service to look for possible weather windows to bring tows through exposed areas. I believe it is $1.89/minute.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote