Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Guru

City: LI or Fla
tips for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland

In early stages for next years cruise, leaving Long Island and heading to Nova Scotia and possibly Newfoundland, anyone done this and pass along some tidbits on good ports to stay and ones to stay away from? Thanks!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Ocean Breeze has a post on Show us your home port Post # 101.
It shows the south of the island of Newfoundland,

SD
Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Guru

ok thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
This might also give you some ideas.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ans-11091.html
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Greetings; Take alook at the following sites. www.pilgimspassage and MODAKI. Both are sail, but the latter is site, Joe and Yvonne Watson can will on request provide solid information. The former, a whitby 42 sailor has been everywhere and has great site and much information as well. Enjoy the trip. The only caution from a Newfy, is watch out for the "swells" and I don't mean those coming from a "bar". Bill
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Greetings: Something happended to Joe's address: MODAKI. Bill
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Only traveled as far as Maine , but the cold water will require a modest full time heating system for your comfort.

We used a Dickinson setup as no electric is required for heat 24/7.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Guru

Thanks everyone, keep it coming, all good stuff. I've read a good number of sailboat journeys/blogs, have to give that group credit, they do get out and travel. Looking more from a power boat perspective, such as good fuel stop, or fuel can be trucked in this port. Looking at mileage I think Newfoundland will be another trip, as it looks like the Bras d' Or Lake Nova Scotia would be the furtherest north we would go.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
We traveled that route (and more) last summer running from East/North to West/South. Here's our blog starting around the Canso Canal and working back towards Maine.

Adventures of Tanglewood: East Coast of Nova Scotia
twistedtree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Guru

twistedtree, GREAT, thanks for sharing, sure I'll have a question or two, but this looks exactly what I was hoping to see. Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
TwistedTree: Absolutely a beautiful boat!! How long is she & do you have anymore pics?

Edit: Belay that! I just read more of your blog and got answers to my questions.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Guru

He is building a Nordhavn 60 now, really impressive little ship! Good luck with the build and commissioning.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Guru

Wanna buy the Grand Banks? I'll be putting it on the market this winter, available for delivery anywhere along the eastern seaboard as we return to New England from the Bahamas.....
Old 08-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
Guru

Beautiful boat and certainly setup extremely well, if I was in the market for a 47 that would be a winner for sure. What are your plans for bringing the N60 around, down the left coast through the canal, or other plans?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Beautiful boat and certainly setup extremely well, if I was in the market for a 47 that would be a winner for sure. What are your plans for bringing the N60 around, down the left coast through the canal, or other plans?
We don't yet know how/when the N60 will see the east coast. Our plan is to cruise the Pacific first, both the west coast of the Americas, and across to Asia and Oceania. We could spend a year in New Zealand alone since we have family there. Patagonia and Tiera del Fuego are also on the list, as is the NW passage, so there are lots of routes that we might ultimately take. My expectation is that it will be 5 years or more before the boat sees the Atlantic.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
Guru

That is great, that is the vessel to do it in, all the best to you and your wife!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Wanna buy the Grand Banks? I'll be putting it on the market this winter....
I've been aboard most of the Nordhavn models as their main office is right up the road from me in Dana Pt. I can't help but wonder though, Why you would go to a 60' Nordy and sell your 47 GB Euro. Don't get me wrong! The Nordys are great boats but compared to the larger GBs, they seem chopped up (smaller spaces) to me.

Are you contemplating more blue water cruising (ocean crossing) or do you just want to experience a 60' Nordhavn for awhile?

Edit: I just reread your last post and had my questions answered. Except for crossing oceans, I'd still rather have the 47 Euro.

My favorite coastal cruising boat
Attached Thumbnails
GB 47 EU.jpg   Flybridge Stairs Open_opt.jpg   Stern.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Guru

The GB 47' is a great coastal cruising boat. It's our favorite too which is why we bought one. But as you noted, they are not suitable for long passages, and certainly not for ocean crossings. There just isn't enough range and sea worthiness to do it. Going slow I can get 600 NM range out of the Europa. The Nordhavn can cover 3000-4000 NM. And the N60 comes with 1/2 plate glass windows, plus storm plates for crossings.

The other thing is interior space. Even comparing an N47 to the GB, there is much more interior space on the Nordhavn. It comes at the expense of the full walk-around deck, but there is much more space.

Last (if there is ever a last), is the value of a true pilot house that is light-isolated from the rest of the boat so you can run at night without constraining other activities elsewhere on the boat. The combined salon/helm on the GB is great for day cruising, but really unsuitable for night operation. Even the GB Aleutians and the Flemings, both of which we seriously considered, don't have properly isolated pilot house. They are more separate than on the Europa, but appear more geared towards separating the staff from the guests that for providing 24x7 operation. At a minimum, blackout curtains would have to be installed.

But all this is really just an illustration of how different boats are geared towards different usage models. The trick is to understand your intended use and find a boat that matches. The majority of people on this site do port hopping while operating during the day, so these things don't matter, and you subsequently have a larger range of boats that can meet your needs. The list of production boats suitable as passage makers and geared towards operation by a couple, not a crew, is very short indeed.

OK, sorry for diverting the thread.....
Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Guru

By the way, I'm in China now having visited the yard to see the N60 under construction. It's facinating to see the build process, both in pictures, and first hand. I've posted lots of pictures and narrative on our blog at Adventures of Tanglewood if it's of interest.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If your boat is insured check with your insurance company to see if you will have coverage in Newfoundland. Same might be true for parts of Nova Scotia.

Time of year will be critical for Newfoundland. The Canadian Coast Guard was not excited about a 58 ft Krogen going to Newfoundland in the end of August. This was August 2008 and there might have been other issues.

Atlantic Nova Scotia and the Bras D'Or Lake area are magnificent. Plan to spend a couple of weeks in the Bras D'Or Lake and Cape Breton Island.
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote