Old 06-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #101

City: Denver, CO
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Vessel Model: 1988 45' Nelson
ICW tips

All the tips in this thread are good.
Here's my four rules of cruising the ICW.
1 - One NO vote wins -- if either my wife or I don't like the conditions and says NO to going out, that's that.
2 - We are always more concerned about the conditions at the destination rather than at the start or out on the cruise itself. Weather is everything.
3 - Assume the magenta line on your chart plotter is out of date. Read the markers.
4 - Most dockmasters have DDD, Dockmaster Distance Dementia. When they tell you the Piggly Wiggly is only a half a mile away, it is most likely much further than that. For instance, if they say it is only 8/10th of a mile away, we always multiply the two integers together. 8/10ths = 80 miles away. (Just kidding...but you should have bikes on board your boat.)

www.theonboardlife.com
skipperdarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #102

City: Jacksonville Fla
Vessel Name: The Office
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
ICW Tips

Slow down enjoy the ride.
Don't travel on weekends when the nuts and idiots are on the water with their latest toy.

HTH,
S

Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #103
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
ICW Tips

HTH,
S
You got that right; stop and smell the roses if you are not on a delivery. So many beautiful anchorages and places to explore. Was just reading someone's ICW blog, skipping from dock to dock, town to town, past some very pretty and unique places only reachable by boat. I guess everyone has their preferences and personal style.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #104
FF
Guru

Paper charts frequently have a great visual description of the bottom conditions.

Chart #1 has all the explanations.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #105

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Great posts, just what we were looking for!

How about some small-town gems that may have eluded the spotlight?

By the way, we have heard of a cruising couple that never had any terrifying experiences. We were told that they simply took no chances with bad weather.

What actions are recommended when the pop-up thunderstorm appears? We have the various radar weather apps which may help.

Thanks Again!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #106
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Great posts, just what we were looking for!

How about some small-town gems that may have eluded the spotlight?

By the way, we have heard of a cruising couple that never had any terrifying experiences. We were told that they simply took no chances with bad weather.

What actions are recommended when the pop-up thunderstorm appears? We have the various radar weather apps which may help.

Thanks Again!
I have been cruising part time for over 40 years...NJ to Florida and the Bahamas. Never been terrified....concerned yes...but never terrified because I love fair weather and boat in it if all possible.

Concerned with weather... but almost never more than worried about being uncomfortable, never in danger. Last 2 trips to FL with girlfriend she has been concerned with tornado watches. My theory is underway you have options....tied to a dock you get off the boat and into a safe structure... at anchor you really have none.

I watch internet radar like a hawk when the worst is approaching....usually blinding rain only lasts for a few minutes to 1/2 hr. If I can, I'll just keep motoring if I think I can stay in the channel at minimum steerage speed. If I can't.....I'll look for a structure or bank I can keep station on or if necessary even nose her into a sod bank or steep sand bar...so far it's never been necessary on my trawler but often in my assistance towboat.

Usually, if a severe enough to be a tornado watch...watching the line of returns on a NWS Doppler radar and seeing if and where the most intense sections are headed , then either head away or quickly find the best shelter available is in the plan.

My biggest issue really was last December when ice almost trapped me in a marina in Baltimore...I listened to the dockmaster when my inner voice said move to the outer slips before nightfall.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #107
Guru

If it is towns you are interested in visiting, a car is a much better and much more economical means to get there and explore. If you are passing by boat anyway, having made the visit once before by car will allow you to have a better lay of the land to enjoy your nautical visit. I continually note comments about towns from boaters who only scratched the surface; witness the recent thread about some gourmet North Carolina cruising.

It depends on how far off the beaten path, or shall I say the magenta line, you want to venture. A tight budget combined with an aversion to anchoring out and worst of all, a schedule, really limits things.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #108
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
"It depends on how far off the beaten path, or shall I say the magenta line, you want to venture. "
VERY eloquent. Nicely put😎❗️

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #109
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
. I continually note comments about towns from boaters who only scratched the surface; witness the recent thread about some gourmet North Carolina cruising.
In planning your trips, don't just plan the navigation part of it. Plan the pleasure side. Research that. Blogs, books. We never go to a town that we haven't looked through Trip Advisor for and planned some things. Also most towns have their own websites.

I just pulled up Edenton NC as an example and we haven't yet made it there. Trip Advisor has 10 activities. VisitEdenton.com has 12 activities, 15 recreational activities, 5 places for culture and art. Edenton.com has even more. But if we were stopping there for two days we'd pick around six of those. That means we'd see about 20% of what there was to see. Plus we'd walk and find shops, antiques, local antiquities, meet people, find ice cream. We would leave already thinking of things we'd want to see next time through. Or if we got weathered in, there are many days worth to be enjoyed. If you want a meal out, we found 22 restaurants listed and most reviewed.

To us there is really no such thing as a bad port. They all have something unique. Just walking the town is a joy to us. Yesterday afternoon we just walked the boardwalk in Westport, WA, watched the fishing boats coming in across the bar, talked a fishing charter captain. He's 47, been doing it 36 years, licensed since he was 18. His father did it. His grandfather. We're planning later this summer when we're back there to go out on his boat one day. They've had their boat since the late 90's. We grabbed lunch at a local deli and met people who were there. Many places we go we find incredible parks too.

Bahamas we'll often just pick an uninhabited island we want to explore. Decide to anchor for the day, get in the dinghy, enjoy the beach, circle it. We still have hundreds of islands we want to see. No two are alike.

So don't just plan the water aspect. We plan the land portion. And we have lists of things we'd like to do, never running out because then many we want to do again plus we discover things not on our lists. We get weathered in an extra day or two, no big deal. Just enjoy. I challenge any of you to just pick a town right now that you've never been to, just by. Research it a little. You'll see there is more there than you expected. We've not yet left a town that we said "Well, that's done. No need to ever go back." It's always, "That was nice. If we ever get back there, we'll make sure to...."
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #110
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
There is nothing that says the trip has to be following the line on the ICW. The NC sounds loop that David and B and B wrote about is a great experience while working your way South. Edenton, Manteo, and Ocracoke are great experiences while taking only a little extra travel time. If you want to go up the Pamlico River about 30 miles Bath and "Little" Washington are good. They both have free to reasonably priced dockage right in the village.

Several of the ICW towns are too good to miss. Beaufort NC, Southport, Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort SC, Savannah, Fernandina Beach, St. Augustine, Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, and Stuart. South of Stuart you are in the megaopolis until the laid back keys.

That is all on the Atlantic ICW. Don't forget the Gulf ICW offers some great cruising.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #111
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
South of Stuart you are in the megaopolis PARADISE until the laid back keys.
Wifey B: Just a slight correction....hehe. Ok, to some may not be paradise but also just because there are lots of people and boats, don't overlook that there is a lot of beauty too. Search and ye shall find. We live in Fort Lauderdale but still take trips to Miami and West Palm. Just in Fort Lauderdale though a few examples for those not into the big city aspect. First, where else can you cruise such beautiful canals? Well, you could go to Venice. See so many boats? I don't know. But some of the type things easily overlooked. Bonnet House Museum and Gardens. Antique Auto Museum. All the beaches and parks. Walk along Las Olas Boulevard. Riverwalk and the New River. Hugh Taylor State Park (yes, in the middle of the city, 180 acre park), Explore by Water Taxi or Sun Trolley. Sawgrass Recreation Park (go explore in an airboat). Everglades Park and the Gator Boys of Animal Planet. Museum of Art. Naval Air Station Museum. Swimming Hall of Fame. Beautiful Scantily Clad Girls and Hot Muscle Guys (Oh, bad me throwing that one in).

And not trying to sell you on Fort Lauderdale. We have too many people already. lol. But just to express not to overlook the possibilities of any place you pass. One of our best days ever cruising was in a place we previously had no desire to go and then weathered in an extra day. We fell in love with Apalachicola (mentioning Gulf Coast). We found a side of the town most don't realize is there. Most areas are multi-faceted. Just find the facet you like.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #112
Guru

Quote:

Several of the ICW towns are too good to miss. Beaufort NC, Southport, Georgetown, Charleston, Beaufort SC, Savannah, Fernandina Beach, St. Augustine, Vero Beach, Ft. Pierce, and Stuart. South of Stuart you are in the megaopolis until the laid back keys.

That is all on the Atlantic ICW. Don't forget the Gulf ICW offers some great cruising.
OK if you are talking towns and docks, and staying strictly on the "line" , let's add Swansboro, McClellanville, Brunswick/St.Simons, St. Mary's (a little off the line), New Smyrna Beach, Old Daytona, Titusville, Cocoa and Melbourne. Each with it's sometimes small but unique charms and at least one really good place to eat plus another unique attraction. And many can be anchored off or have cheap dockage.

Further off "the line", places like New Bern, Darien, Old Bluffton, Jacksonville, Green Cove Springs (and in general the St. Johns River).

I could give you an equally healthy list of anchorages with no town attached, many of which we always spent a few extra days in.

The point is, no matter your style, the journey can, and in my opinion should be, the destination.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

The point is, no matter your style, the journey can, and in my opinion should be, the destination.
But you can have both. Wonderful journeys and wonderful places. Enjoy the water and cruising, enjoy just being out on it, but also make the most of the places you land along the way too. Example. We rode horses along the beach in Port St. Joe. What fun. But we would never drive from Fort Lauderdale there to go horseback riding, or for anything else there really. That's 8 1/2 hours in a car. No thanks. Now of course it was days in a boat. Many days, well actually a couple or three weeks, by water to get there. But we were on the water just to enjoy it. However, as long as there, what a wonderful day we had. The point about boating to us is that wherever the water takes us we'll enjoy. But being taken there by water is the essential and most important part to us. Oh and we went kite flying on the beach in Panama City. Guess we could do that at home.

Guess I think of the things we do in the places we end up as the icing on the cake. The cake (cruising on the water) is delicious and what we are doing it for, but the icing is nice. However, icing without cake, no thanks.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #114
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
ICW Tips

Don't travel on weekends when the nuts and idiots are on the water with their latest toy.

HTH,
S
There are many parts of the AICW where "nuts and idiots" do not normally operate. I wouldn't stay in port or at an anchorage just because other boaters may be on the water.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #115
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Just a slight correction....hehe. Ok, to some may not be paradise but also just because there are lots of people and boats, don't overlook that there is a lot of beauty too. Search and ye shall find. We live in Fort Lauderdale but still take trips to Miami and West Palm. Just in Fort Lauderdale though a few examples for those not into the big city aspect. First, where else can you cruise such beautiful canals? Well, you could go to Venice. See so many boats? I don't know. But some of the type things easily overlooked. Bonnet House Museum and Gardens. Antique Auto Museum. All the beaches and parks. Walk along Las Olas Boulevard. Riverwalk and the New River. Hugh Taylor State Park (yes, in the middle of the city, 180 acre park), Explore by Water Taxi or Sun Trolley. Sawgrass Recreation Park (go explore in an airboat). Everglades Park and the Gator Boys of Animal Planet. Museum of Art. Naval Air Station Museum. Swimming Hall of Fame. Beautiful Scantily Clad Girls and Hot Muscle Guys (Oh, bad me throwing that one in).

And not trying to sell you on Fort Lauderdale. We have too many people already. lol. But just to express not to overlook the possibilities of any place you pass. One of our best days ever cruising was in a place we previously had no desire to go and then weathered in an extra day. We fell in love with Apalachicola (mentioning Gulf Coast). We found a side of the town most don't realize is there. Most areas are multi-faceted. Just find the facet you like.
While not everyone's cup of tea, I like Ft. Lauderdale. Stayed about a week last year split between a mooring and slip at Los Olas Docks (it got hot and needed A/C). The dinghy is great for cruising the canals (low bridges are no problem), and going up the New River. Bus service is good, the beach is beautiful, exotic cars everywhere, and the people watching . . . . .it is a fun place with good restaurants.

I am still thinking of going down to spend about a week on Biscayne Bay. I think of Biscayne Bay as the upper Keys.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #116
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Ft Lauderdale is ground zero for yachting. Any piece,part or service can be found for pleasure boats there. A great place to wander.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
While not everyone's cup of tea, I like Ft. Lauderdale. Stayed about a week last year split between a mooring and slip at Los Olas Docks (it got hot and needed A/C). The dinghy is great for cruising the canals (low bridges are no problem), and going up the New River. Bus service is good, the beach is beautiful, exotic cars everywhere, and the people watching . . . . .it is a fun place with good restaurants.

I am still thinking of going down to spend about a week on Biscayne Bay. I think of Biscayne Bay as the upper Keys.
And take the dinghy up Miami River. Yes, in Fort Lauderdale you can go up New River, go to the Dania cut off, see so much by dinghy. We've been told we use ours more than anyone. But so many places it's so nice to just get out and enjoy. The Savannah River is one we took way up, we circled islands, saw the National Parks. We've even thought of taking them up the Dismal Swamp.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #118
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Paper charts frequently have a great visual description of the bottom conditions.

Chart #1 has all the explanations.

Ditto raster charts.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #119
Guru

City: Fort Myers
You have recieved plenty of good information, I might add do not rule out heading out an inlet and cruising out in the ocean, I find it a nice break, especially in dense locations like Florida.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #120
Guru

Once you have done the inside once, outside becomes very appealing in good weather. But I think everyone should do the inside at least once to see the sights and decide for themselves what is worth skipping.

Love FLL. We always made a point of spending some time at one of the marinas on the west side of I-95. Unique in all the world. Met Capt. Bill1 there, at the greatness of the Yachthaven. And as previously inferred it is the best place anywhere to do do work and and add goodies to your boat, especially DIY. Just learn where Lester's Diner is, ideally by eating there regularly, because when you ask some obscure vendor to give you directions, that is where they will start. Next, learn all the nicknames for various points on the New River.