Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #261
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,972
Yes, your write up and photos were interesting. Quite an accomplishment for your first AICW trip. No big incidents, and the boat proved to be reliable. Congratulations.

Now, you are in a great cruising area, and Key West is just 100 miles. Enjoy.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #262
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 997
I liked the log style posts, very informative, maybe you could expand a bit on the boat, things that worked well, things that need to change (or not). Your fuel usage seems pretty good as well.
__________________

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #263
Senior Member
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 263
Going to be making a trip from Galveston bay Texas to Jacksonville FL/Jekyll Island GA in February before heading North in April.

My buddy who I've been boating with since we were kids is going to join but he cannot make the first few days. I am thinking of hiring a captain to help me navigate to New Orleans where my friend will meet me.

I am hoping to set out at the crack of dawn on Friday AM with a goal to make it to NOLA Saturday by sunset or Sunday by Noon. I don't know if that is realistic? What worries me is the limited fuel and dock options between Galveston and NOLA. Depending when we arrive in NOLA, we will either set out for Florida Sunday or crack of dawn Monday (I am thinking as long as we arrive Saturday PM or before noon Sunday we will press on-ward on Sunday).

I am hoping to be able to make it to Jacksonville by the following Sunday. Again, don't know if that is realistic? That would leave 10 days for the ~1,500 mile journey. We will cross Lake Okeechobee.

I am concerned about no wake zones along the way but hear they don't get bad until Florida and also concerned that some of the hurricanes may have moved the bottom around.

I am going to target a cruise of 20-23 mph where possible which is a fuel burn of 20-25gph.

Anyone have any thoughts on this trip?

Thank you!
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:47 AM   #264
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,582
Is there a reason you need to be over here by that Sunday. A week to get from NOLA to JAX is a helluva haul. Doable? If the conditions are right and everything runs well. But my initial reaction is that you would be pushing it, especially if you are planning on coming up the inside once on the east coast of FL.

Plus you will be pretty whooped with those days on top of one another, and tiredness is dangerous.

Also, how well do you know your boat - have you had her for a while or is she new to you?

Think about adding two or three additional days.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #265
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,885
what kind of boat?

be careful when in Florida to read the sinage closely for slow speed zones. They come and go enough to drive you crazy.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #266
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,393
You will need to cross part of the Gulf of Mexico. Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs is about 150 miles. I did Panama city to Tarpon Springs, which is 200 miles. You need a weather window (really good weather window if going on plane ) to make that crossing. It could take a week or more to get that window in February. While you can do shorter crossing such as Carrabelle to Steinhatchee or Cedar key, there's only a marina in Steinhatchee. Also understand that from Steinhatchee south, you will be in the land of crab pots. For this reason, almost all Great Loopers cross from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #267
Senior Member
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Is there a reason you need to be over here by that Sunday. A week to get from NOLA to JAX is a helluva haul. Doable? If the conditions are right and everything runs well. But my initial reaction is that you would be pushing it, especially if you are planning on coming up the inside once on the east coast of FL.

Plus you will be pretty whooped with those days on top of one another, and tiredness is dangerous.

Also, how well do you know your boat - have you had her for a while or is she new to you?

Think about adding two or three additional days.
Have a flight home from JAX Monday. So really have 11 days but not much bufferr. I will have 2-3 people with me on the trip from NOLA to JAX. Myself and one other are experienced boaters. The other two are not but should be able to serve as lookouts.

I have only been on the boat a few times but have combed through the systems and manuals. Planning to do another shake down cruise in a few weeks.

I wish I had an extra 2-3 days but pushing it with work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
what kind of boat?

be careful when in Florida to read the sinage closely for slow speed zones. They come and go enough to drive you crazy.
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44.

Is there any online resource that has the slow speed zones listed?

What about a resource for post-hurricane changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You will need to cross part of the Gulf of Mexico. Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs is about 150 miles. I did Panama city to Tarpon Springs, which is 200 miles. You need a weather window (really good weather window if going on plane ) to make that crossing. It could take a week or more to get that window in February. While you can do shorter crossing such as Carrabelle to Steinhatchee or Cedar key, there's only a marina in Steinhatchee. Also understand that from Steinhatchee south, you will be in the land of crab pots. For this reason, almost all Great Loopers cross from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs.

Ted
Can you please elaborate on the weather. What would be safe limits? If weather is not good, how much of a setback is it going to be to stay on the intracoastal from from Carrabelle all the way to Tarpon Springs?
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #268
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Can you please elaborate on the weather. What would be safe limits? If weather is not good, how much of a setback is it going to be to stay on the intracoastal from from Carrabelle all the way to Tarpon Springs?
There is no intracoastal from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. You can hug the coast but you will be dealing with skinny water, bars, and crabpots. Not sure what changes Irma has made but Steinhatchee, Cedar Key and Crystal River used to be places you could duck in and spend a night. It is a challenging trip at this time of year and waiting 2-3 weeks or more for a weather window is not uncommon.

Given your lack of knowledge of the route, it might be best to hire a delivery captain to do the whole trip.
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #269
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,160
I'm pretty sure you'll probably need close to two weeks to get through there. Irma made a big mess out of things. Spend some time on youtube watching videos about boating that area after Irma.

I agree with Donsan about hiring a local delivery captain to make that run since you're under a time crunch.
__________________


ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #270
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Have a flight home from JAX Monday. So really have 11 days but not much bufferr. I will have 2-3 people with me on the trip from NOLA to JAX. Myself and one other are experienced boaters. The other two are not but should be able to serve as lookouts.

I have only been on the boat a few times but have combed through the systems and manuals. Planning to do another shake down cruise in a few weeks.

I wish I had an extra 2-3 days but pushing it with work.

A schedule adds a layer of complexity to almost all boat trips.

A tight schedule and a long distance adds another order of magnitude of complexity.

A tight schedule for a long-distance trip on a new-to-you boat, new-to-you route, whatever speed zones you might encounter... would be a bridge way too far, for me.

The delivery captain idea might be worth some additional exploring, even for parts of the trip you can make at a manageable pace. Cap'n could then carry on even when you have to leave.

Or... maybe break the delivery into separate legs. Take the boat part way, stop, go home, return for the later leg(s) later.

??

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #271
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,216
Yep, the weather gods frown on tight boat schedules. Especially in feb when fronts are marching through.

Might get lucky, but have a backup plan if things get snotty.

My bud took a 47 from NC to SFL on a schedule last week. Got beat up.

I took a 58 on same trip in Oct and got beat up.

Back up plan is key.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #272
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,377
ICW- Your Best Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this trip?

Yea.. The truth will hurt here... DONíT TRY IT!... Boats and schedules donít mix. If you try to plan a long trip like this on a schedule, you will never make it, you will make it an unsafe journey, and probably destroy the boat in the process. Hire someone or plan it to take twice as long.
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #273
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,922
Scope out a couple places to bail with nearby airports if you get boxed up. Here is a few:
Marina Jacks, Sarasota - Sarasota Bradenton airport nearby
City of Ft Myers Yacht Basin -Southwest Regional (RSW) airport nearby
Sunset Bay Marina - Stuart - West Palm Beach airport about 25 miles.
Halifax Harbor Marina, Daytona Beach - Daytona Beach International

The second worse than the weather this time of year is the short daylight. Sunrise to sunset plus 1/2 hour on each end is pushing it to the max. Today is a little over 10 hours of light.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #274
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Can you please elaborate on the weather. What would be safe limits? If weather is not good, how much of a setback is it going to be to stay on the intracoastal from from Carrabelle all the way to Tarpon Springs?
You don't specify the size of the boat, but most of this will apply regardless.

A lot of the weather patterns during the winter have a southern component . Waves have a long way to travel up the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, the waves can come from hundreds of miles away. These waves / large swells give you a beam sea. If there is another weather pattern with winds from the North or East, you end up with a confused sea ( waves from 2 or more directions ). When the wave crests meet at your bow, the waves are much bigger. Doing this crossing in a confused sea is referred to as the washing machine as you get bounced around by waves from different directions. While cruising through these conditions can be done, you would need a very large boat to maintain 20+ knots, and the fatigue factor for 7 hours would be horrific.

Generally the weather window requires a number of days without winds from SE, S, or SW to let the seas calm down and 36 hours without significant winds from the NE or E.

As already mentioned, there is no GICW from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. Most Loopers wait at Carrabelle or Panama city for the window. Determining safe weather is very dependent on boat and crew. As you will be 75+ miles from land and the weather has been known to deteriorate, a forecast of 2' seas is the limit for many Loopers.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #275
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
what kind of boat?

be careful when in Florida to read the sinage closely for slow speed zones. They come and go enough to drive you crazy.
Very intelligent manatees we have down here to read those signs!
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #276
Senior Member
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
There is no intracoastal from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. You can hug the coast but you will be dealing with skinny water, bars, and crabpots. Not sure what changes Irma has made but Steinhatchee, Cedar Key and Crystal River used to be places you could duck in and spend a night. It is a challenging trip at this time of year and waiting 2-3 weeks or more for a weather window is not uncommon.

Given your lack of knowledge of the route, it might be best to hire a delivery captain to do the whole trip.
I guess I was too focused on the TX to NOLA part, hadn't charted the rest of the route yet except for a quick mileage estimate. Didn't know there were so many locks I'd have to pass through to get to NOLA. Anyone know if these are open 24x7 or have limited hours? The USACE web page for Louisiana locks seems to be malfunctioning and I can't find any other information online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
A schedule adds a layer of complexity to almost all boat trips.

A tight schedule and a long distance adds another order of magnitude of complexity.

A tight schedule for a long-distance trip on a new-to-you boat, new-to-you route, whatever speed zones you might encounter... would be a bridge way too far, for me.

The delivery captain idea might be worth some additional exploring, even for parts of the trip you can make at a manageable pace. Cap'n could then carry on even when you have to leave.

Or... maybe break the delivery into separate legs. Take the boat part way, stop, go home, return for the later leg(s) later.

??

-Chris
I know its aggressive. As long as I can get the boat to Florida I suppose I can fly down for a long weekend to get it to JAX. The alternative is trusting a delivery captain with my new girl or having her trucked across to the east coast of florida at a cost of probably 2x+ what it would cost me to do myself via water. I still have 1,000 miles from JAX to the North East. 2,500 miles to cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yep, the weather gods frown on tight boat schedules. Especially in feb when fronts are marching through.

Might get lucky, but have a backup plan if things get snotty.

My bud took a 47 from NC to SFL on a schedule last week. Got beat up.

I took a 58 on same trip in Oct and got beat up.

Back up plan is key.
I am curious what beat up means? I don't need the smoothest ride but don't want a broken neck either..

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Scope out a couple places to bail with nearby airports if you get boxed up. Here is a few:
Marina Jacks, Sarasota - Sarasota Bradenton airport nearby
City of Ft Myers Yacht Basin -Southwest Regional (RSW) airport nearby
Sunset Bay Marina - Stuart - West Palm Beach airport about 25 miles.
Halifax Harbor Marina, Daytona Beach - Daytona Beach International

The second worse than the weather this time of year is the short daylight. Sunrise to sunset plus 1/2 hour on each end is pushing it to the max. Today is a little over 10 hours of light.
Yes, I was thinking of not booking my return flight until I make it to FL and have a better sense as to how things are going.

Day light should be 11 hours in February plus the 30 mins on either end gives me 12 hours. I was going to aim for a max of 10 hours per day of running time but 2 hours contingency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You don't specify the size of the boat, but most of this will apply regardless.

A lot of the weather patterns during the winter have a southern component . Waves have a long way to travel up the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, the waves can come from hundreds of miles away. These waves / large swells give you a beam sea. If there is another weather pattern with winds from the North or East, you end up with a confused sea ( waves from 2 or more directions ). When the wave crests meet at your bow, the waves are much bigger. Doing this crossing in a confused sea is referred to as the washing machine as you get bounced around by waves from different directions. While cruising through these conditions can be done, you would need a very large boat to maintain 20+ knots, and the fatigue factor for 7 hours would be horrific.

Generally the weather window requires a number of days without winds from SE, S, or SW to let the seas calm down and 36 hours without significant winds from the NE or E.

As already mentioned, there is no GICW from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs. Most Loopers wait at Carrabelle or Panama city for the window. Determining safe weather is very dependent on boat and crew. As you will be 75+ miles from land and the weather has been known to deteriorate, a forecast of 2' seas is the limit for many Loopers.

Ted
45'

I chatted with a couple delivery captains and they both brushed off weather in mid-to-late February saying its worse now and will be OK then. I don't know if that was them just trying to close the deal. I agree, beam sea the whole trip, plus confused waves, will not be pleasant at all.

What speed wind is tolerable? Is there a good buoy or weather site to help me plan for this crossing?


Thank you all for the input!
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #277
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,160
Locks are usually only open during business hours or a little later. They're not usually open more than dawn to dusk in a lot of areas. I may be wrong about those down there.

Beat up means really rough seas. Getting injured in rough seas depends on how well your balance is and how good you stow everything aboard the boat. Loose items flying about the boat can be very dangerous.

Wind speed isn't always the problem. It's wind against the current that can be rough. Direction is really more of an issue. Wind against a current can build big waves that come at you quick. Nothing more unnerving than being caught in the trough between waves. I have only been there once. I wasn't the cap'n and damn glad I wasn't.
__________________


ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #278
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

45'

I chatted with a couple delivery captains and they both brushed off weather in mid-to-late February saying its worse now and will be OK then. I don't know if that was them just trying to close the deal. I agree, beam sea the whole trip, plus confused waves, will not be pleasant at all.

What speed wind is tolerable? Is there a good buoy or weather site to help me plan for this crossing?


Thank you all for the input!
Most delivery captains have a day rate whether they're sitting at the dock or underway. Nothing parties like a rental. There's no incentive for them to go as they get paid for every day. If they beat your boat up....well it's not theirs. They are correct that you will see some ok days in February....maybe 5 to 8 days.

It's less about the wind speed, and more about direction and wave height. Unfortunately there are no offshore weather buoys along the path. The AGLCA has a weather guesser that is pretty good forecasting the windows 3 to 4 days in advance. Unfortunately, I think he stops at the end of January. When I did it in the end of October, I used the AGLCA guy plus Intellicast's wind maps. We had gale force winds from the North for 2 days before the crossing. The wind and the waves knock down any waves from the South. Since you're so close to the North coast of the gulf, the waves fell out very quickly. Came out of Panama city with 4' swells from the North. By the time I reached Cape St. George the swells were less than 2' every 10 seconds. My crossing took over 24 hours with almost no wind except for the last 6 hours, East 10 to 15 knots.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #279
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,228
Worryingly you are already pushing both ends of daylight, so no resilience in the plan. And it`s a "new to you" boat on a long delivery voyage. Local weather advice is for others. Best reconsider. A Captain is a good idea. Or breaking it into sections.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:44 AM   #280
Guru
 
City: New Orleans
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 618
Locks between Houston/New Orleans are open 24/7 except when closed for maintenance and that is published well in advance.

Galveston to New Orleans via open water in your boat is 48 hours. Plenty fuel stops on the way if you wish. Most amateurs go inland though along the ICW. Doesnít matter how fast your boat goes, you will still average less than 8 knots along the may. Most non commercial drivers operate daylight only in the ICW. Give yourself a week. Neither route is a lot of fun in winter.

Typical weather pattern in January through end of March is a cold front about every four days. One day strong southerly winds, one day strong northerly winds, two days light winds. Repeat. Sometimes they stretch out some but donít count on it.

Contact me if you wish by PM for real time free advice, I have done this many times.
__________________

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012