ICW - Brunswick to Hilton Head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poggly57

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ohana
Vessel Make
1980 42' Hatteras LRC
Hello all,
We're very new at cruising the ICW. My husband just purchased his boat May 15. My question today is what do those who have traveled it think of the ICW from Brunswick to Hilton Head? :confused: We've heard it's really bad. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Also, suggestions on marinas around Savannah?
Thanks!
Patsy

Hello all,
We're very new at cruising the ICW. My husband just purchased his boat May 15. My question today is what do those who have traveled it think of the ICW from Brunswick to Hilton Head? :confused: We've heard it's really bad. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Also, suggestions on marinas around Savannah?
Thanks!
Patsy

Bad-----it depends. If you are trying to get there fast run outside to the Savannah River entrance. Otherwise, I think any boater that has not done the Georgia ICW has missed something. Winding your way through the seemingly endless saltwater marshes and sounds can be a great experience. Isle of Hope Marina is really good, but a little removed from town.

If you want to be in the middle of the River Street action, there are three marinas along the waterfront. When I say action, I mean on and off the river. Be well fendered to be prepared to be rocked by the 24 hour river traffic. Be sure to put all valuables inside and lock up when leaving.

You are probably on less display at the River Street Market Place Docks. There is a low fence between you and the crowds. For action, you can't beat the waterfront. It's about 15 miles from HH.

We stay at HH a lot, where will you keep your boat?

img_158782_0_c0b422628edb85f956c3f55d0791a633.jpg

Last edited:
I've done it quite a few times, but it has been a while. I would echo Don's statement that wending through the Georgia saltwater marshes is an experience that every boat should experience. Some friends tell me that there are lots of shallow places in the ICW in that area these days, though, so need to watch for those. And if you do not already have towing insurance, be sure and get it ASAP!

John

Running outside

Thanks folks!
We have Sea Tow so got that covered. :thumb:
We'll be going back and forth from SC to FL most years so plenty of time to see the GA waterway. Having just completed a 4 day trip where we had too much water to cover each day to enjoy our destinations, I'd rather shorten this trip if possible. We can catch the scenic route going back to FL when we're not in a rush.
So, I'm leaning towards going outside of the ICW if it's great weather. I think I'd be hesitant if there's much wind at all...
I'm pretty sure my husband will go along with whatever route I choose. He'd rather I be relaxed. :D
I appreciate the input!
Patsy

Home Port

Moonstruck: We plan to keep the boat at Skull Creek Marina.
It was the most reasonably priced that we found. We'll have a car when we go to Hilton Head so transportation won't be an issue.
Patsy

So, I'm leaning towards going outside of the ICW if it's great weather. I think I'd be hesitant if there's much wind at all...

Patsy

Outside is always better traveling if the weather permits. Just put it on autopilot and relax.

Autopilot

Autopilots are a wonderful thing.

Moonstruck: We plan to keep the boat at Skull Creek Marina.
It was the most reasonably priced that we found. We'll have a car when we go to Hilton Head so transportation won't be an issue.
Patsy

I think I remembered that you had been leaning toward Skull Creek. If not stopping in Savannah, I would go in at Port Royal Sound. Kind of a narrow little run to Skull Creek. It will put you within about 20 miles of Beaufort. Nice to have that close.

Skull Creek

Yes, definitely, through Port Royal Sound. I just looked at the chart and looks much better than going up the creek! :thumb:
Patsy

Yes, definitely, through Port Royal Sound. I just looked at the chart and looks much better than going up the creek! :thumb:
Patsy

Entering Skull Creek from the north watch your chart very carefully. To me it looks a little strange with the markers on your port side being near piers. Then it turns to starboard and runs very near shore on the other side.

In about 3 weeks, I'll come back and let y'all know how it went. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom