Old 05-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Humpback whale

We were traveling thru Dangerous passage looking for a cove to anchor in. As we came around a bend we heard a series of loud slapping noises.* Suddenly to our right we could see a large Humpback.**Or at least it's tail slapping the water. I shut off the motor and we sat and listened. You could accually feel the concussion as it smacked the water., Suddenly it dove shallow an went right under the boat, just benieth the keel. it was wider than the boat is long. It seemed like it took forever for it to pass under. *I have it on film. I don't know what it was doing . Either mating dance or Fishing.* It sure was exciting.* And BIG.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Humpback whale

SD,Because they are so sound sensitive I usually leave the engine running to make darn sure they know exactly where we are. Now I know what may happen if I shut down. Don't know if I'm up to that.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Yep I am pretty sure I would have freaked out with a whale UNDER the boat!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

While fishing in SE Alaska a few years ago, we had a pod of 5 humpbacks so close to our 30 ft boat that one of them sounded and swam right at the boat, just below the surface. I yelled for everyone to "hold on" but the whale never* touched us. I could see him quite clearly as he passed beneath the boat. Needless to say, everyone was extremely nervous and also relieved when he surfaced on the other side, about 30 ft away. Apparantly this is a common happening in that part of the world.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #5

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...1e-83975340185

March 15, 2007 *UWAJIMA BAY, Japan (03/13/2007)-- An angry whale knocked a Japanese fisherman out of his small boat on Tuesday, and the whole thing was caught on tape.The man had been trying to rescue the whale, which had strayed out of open waters.The body of the fisherman was later discovered by divers. He was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.The whale started to thrash and threw two other fishermen from another boat into the water, as well.

Food for thought.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
coyote454 wrote:

Food for thought.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
Yeah!!*
I kinda thought the same thing with me as the food.

Just kidding. I know it's a baleen whale* not man eaters.
SD

Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -

A number of years ago we ended up in the middle of five gray whales who were feeding in Bellingham Bay, a very rare occurrence. We have also found ourselves in the middle of a pod of Orcas both here in Puget Sound and up the north end of Vancouver Island. In each case we shut the engine(s) down and drift and turn off the depth sounder. I was told by some whale expert at some tine or another than the clicking of a depth sounder can be an annoying sound to a whale.

The gray whales were impressive, each one considerably longer than our boat. Bellingham Bay is quite shallow, about 100 feet, and the whales were stirring up huge clouds of sand and mud. They would surface and sometimes head right for the boat, sliding under at the last second to pass just beneath us.

We weren't worried about them hitting us accidentally. Several years earlier we'd seen some underwater footage that had been taken in Hawaii of a mother humpback and her calf. Two divers were in the water with her, one of them the cameraman. The mother did not seem at all concerned about their presence but she would maneuver slowly to keep herself between the divers and the calf. At one point she did a 180-degree turn away from one of the divers, herding the calf ahead of her as she went. The other diver was filming this, and as the whale turned away the huge pectoral fin on the outside of the turn swept around like a giant sickle, knifing straight at the diver she was turning away from. But just as the fin got within a few feet of him she flicked it up a coupe of feet so it glided over him and then brought it back down on the other side. She obviously did this by feel or some other sense because her head was turned in a position where the diver was out of her line of sight.

If a whale want to hit your boat it will. If it doesn't it won't.

The only time I've ever been worried around whales was fishing some 40 miles off the north shore of Oahu in the 1970s. We were trolling along watching for birds when two sperm whales surfaced behind us and cruised past, one on either side of the boat. Both I and the boat owner were pretty concerned because a) we were fishing in a 28' Uniflite which was considerably smaller than either of the whales and, b) sperms are the ones with the reputations for attacking things (for real, not just in Moby Dick). But they cruised past like a couple of big, black subs and then submerged out ahead of us and we didn't see them again.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There have been a lot of humpbacks on the coast the last few years. We were anchored up in East Higgins Pass last year, west of Bella Bella. About 0200 the boat lurched to one side and the aluminum hull rang like someone had hit a bell. There was a mad scramble from bunks to deck and when we hit the spreader lights there was a ring of scales, blood, mucous, and dead sardines around us. As far as I can tell one of the humpbacks we'd been watching before dark had chased a school of sardines into us. I have no idea if the clang was caused by the fish, the whale, or both colliding with the hull. Several tonnes of animal either way, I guess.
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
KMA

City: Merritt Island

Just last year we had 2 very large blue whales pass under us in the San Pedro channel.* Now, you guys know I have a big boat (64'x17.5').* Well, these things just dwarfed us... literally.* After passing under us, one of them turned around, began to parallel us (we'd slowed to idle speed to watch), and blew whale snot all over the port side (and all over me, since I was standing on deck outside the port hatch).

They departed shortly hereafter, my wife took the helm and I went below and changed my shorts
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Guru

Whale Snot???

Thare she* blows!!!

Must a bee one giant luggie

SD
Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

No whales down here in South Louisiana, but plenty of alligators. My brother and I were fishing in the marsh south of Houma in about 1 1/2 feet of water, drift fishing for redfish. I think it was October and a little cool out, and we drifted over an 8 footer buried in the mud. I tossed my bait in front of him and he grabbed it and took off. Cut the line before he could strip it all off. Lots of interesting critters in the marsh.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote