How many Miles do you typically go per year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobfnbw

Mainly for those that are out there full time, I wondered how many miles or how many gallons of diesel do you typically use per year cruising ?

Reason I am curious is the cost of fuel is sure to keep going up and since a trawler uses a few more gallons than a typical sail boat (even though all my boats I tended to motor more than sail but thats another story) I wonder how much people budget for fuel costs. I know that it will vary a bit between boats, but would like to hear from individuals to get a range.
Thanks
Bob

Heya Bob,
***Depending how hard you push on the skinny pedal, could vary by 40% to 60%+.* I*seldom figure in the cost of fuel very often.* It's one of the lesser boating expenses @ 100 hrs. to 300hrs. per season.* First year we had our first boat, we religiously kept track of expenses.* Spent $550 on fuel and $875 on cocktails.* Ever since then, don't bother.

Per trip. A nice bottle of single malt scotch.
*Now thats go juice.

SD

skipperdude wrote:Per trip. A nice bottle of single malt scotch.

Now thats go juice.
Bourbon for me, in the winter.* It is rocket fuel!

Gin in the summer.* It kept the British empire running for a few centuries, maybe it will keep me going too.

I tried Burbon once. Knocked me out. I wound up hanging over the rail with about 4 inches of snow on my back.* My buddy took a picture. He still*haules it out once in a while just to give me a hard time.
*I haven't touched it since.*

Rocket fuel.* Oh boy.

SD*

I agree with RTF. Fuel is such a minimal component of the cost of owning and operating a boat that we virtually ignore it. And I have no idea how many miles we go a year. Around here with our currents there is always a significant difference between the miles we go over the bottom and the miles we travel through the water. Work/travel schedules and winds permitting, we tend to go out about two weekends per month year round (I get every other Monday off in theory). We also take at least one longer cruise, two or three weeks. The destinations we generally go to on the weekends are about 25 miles away. So perhaps 50-60 miles per trip.

While our fuel management system has us rotating the fuel draw and refueling between our five tanks, in the course of a year we generally fill up each tank twice. So that's up to 800 gallons a year.

In the last three summers cruising SE Alaska (and some Lake Powell), we've averaged about 2600 nautical miles, and some 800-900 gallons of diesel.* Fuel cost seems to be about 1/4 to 1/3 of our total cruising costs, depending on how much we spend on equipment repairs/replacements and upgrades.* This does not count groceries and liquor, which we would use even if we were not cruising.* Our boat is a trailer-kept 26-footer.*

Also:* Even though we can cruise at 18 knots planing, we travel at only 6.5 knots probably 90% of the time, and average about 35-40 nm per day.

But the full story is: to get us (and boat) from home in Utah to our launch point (often Prince Rupert) we burn maybe 2/3 as much diesel as for a summer on the water.* So in reality for us fuel is about half our total cruising costs.

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 07:23:29 AM

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 07:24:01 AM

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 06:28:39 PM

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 06:29:41 PM

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 06:30:22 PM

Thanks all for your replies.
So let me phrase it another way....

IF you were living and traveling FULL TIME.. most days a year, how much fuel do you think you would burn, or how many miles do you think you would go.

Not thinking about the part time use of your boat, but full time, retired living on the water traveling up and down the coast, the loop, the bahamas, etc.

Richard Cook I believe is in line with my calculations of around 1/3 of the cost or roughly I believe 1000 / month. A little more than my cocktail bill.

thanks, Bob

Buy one of those roller thingies to use on charts--- the deal where you enter the chart scale and then roll the tip along the route you plan to take and the readout tells you how many miles/nautical miles it is. We have one--- very handy device. Run this thing around your planned route and do the math. Distance divided by miles/nautical miles per hour times the amount of fuel the boat burns in an hour. You can add a bit for warm up times and then multiply the total by the anticipated cost of fuel per gallon (or litre if you're buying it that way). There's your "total fuel cost" answer.

Otherwise you've asked a pretty much impossible question to answer since every boater will have a different idea of how long they're willing to run each day, how long they want to remain in one place, what speed they want to run, what route they want to take, and so on. You might get figures from boaters who have done the same sort of thing (if they've bothered to keep track of their expenses), but the chances are they won't relate too much to what you end up doing since they probably did almost everything differently even though they covered the same ground.

Based on the very few people I've known who've lived on their boats full time AND cruised them full time, the cost to live full time on a boat that's going somewhere (as opposed to tied up more or less permanently in a slip) is not much different than the cost of living on shore. You don't have the house payment and other expenses related to a home, but you may have similar costs for a boat depending on if you've financed it, and so on. You don't have car repairs and fuel bills but you have boat repairs and fuel bills, which in our experience so far average out to be more than the car(s) In the end, according to them, it was pretty much a wash. You eat the same amount of food, either cooked yourself or purchased, you buy the same amount of books and magazines, you go to the same number of movies, your medical/dental costs are the same, and so on. For these people, they moved onto the boat for a number of years for the lifestyle, not to reduce costs, and they continued to do all the things they had done when they lived on shore.* They just did them in a string of other places.* They got into this figuring their total living expenses would not change much in terms dollars spent, and for the most part, they said they didn't.

Now if you not only move onto a boat but also change your lifestyle to reduce personal expenditures considerably, you can perhaps live for a lot less even though you're operating the boat full time.* I don't know--- I've not met anyone who's done this.

You've probably read or heard that the VERY average cost of owning a boat--- at least a power boat, don't know about sail--- is about ten percent of the purchase price (or value) of the boat per year. We've found that, over time, this is a relatively accurate figure. Some years have been much less than ten percent, other years have been much more. Ownership costs are considered to be moorage, insurance, electricity, fuel, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and perishables (lube oil, filters, toilet paper, boat cleaning supplies, etc.). For the purposes of the ten-percent formula as it was explained to me, ownership costs do NOT include boat payments if you've financed the boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 03:33:17 PM

Back
Top Bottom