Houston Ship Channel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troy994719

Last weekend I went on a*trip up the Houston Ship Channel into Downtown Houston. This is a security zone and normally pleasure boats are not allowed. Once a year the Texas Mariners Cruising Association plans a trip and gets permission from the USCG to go up the ship channel into Buffalo Bayou and tie up at Allens Landing.
We were all required to carry a permission letter form the USCG*and travel together in a group during daylight hours. It took quite a bit of planning for the cruise leader and he did a great job. The final count was 22 power boats and about 150 people on board.
I would highly recommend this trip to anyone that is on Galveston Bay, its really interesting to see everything in action in the port and you get to see it from a view that not many people get to experience. Once you are tied up at Allens Landing you can walk into downtown to quite a few restaurants and also you can continue up the bayou in a dingy for miles. I went about six miles and ended up in the River Oaks area. Here are a few pictures from the weekend.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 78
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 74
Yea, I made that trip 3 times before 9/11. It's like being in the Amazon once you get past the turning basin. Did anybody hit anything on the bottom? We bumped something once... figured it was a car somebody ditched.

I dont think anyone hit anything this trip, but* I know people that have hit junk!

-- Edited by troy994719 on Thursday 15th of October 2009 12:09:13 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom