Help need a mechanic in Port Royal, SC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capecodder

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Her Shine. Newburyport
Hello,

I am stuck to the dock at Port Royal Landing Marina and with starter issues. This a very pretty spot to be stuck, but. The >30 AMP circuit breaker on the dock pedestal popped last night and my inverter keep the electric heat on. So this am my battiery were low and went I tried to start this am something happened with my starter. It will make a whirring sound and will not engage. The marina staff seem to only know one tech and he was to arrive to my boat at12:30PM it's 4:30 PM now and he is still on the way. Anyone know anyone were here, very close to Beaford, SC?

Seems I saw this somewhere: "If you can't fix it, it shouldn't be on the boat".

Bob

Thanks Bob. I guess I should just abandon the boat here. I'm ok at a lot of things but am stumped today. I wish I was Bob and knew everything :)

Big "coincidence". Is it really a starter motor issue, or a lack of battery issue?

Big "coincidence". Is it really a starter motor issue, or a lack of battery issue?

Batteries were very low this am, but fully recharged now. All were replaced three months old. i just wish I could find an expert, I'm stumped and as a transient snow bird. No assistance from the locals even from the local tow boat man? After some sleep and hours of Internet study I become an expert. :)

Hello,

I am stuck to the dock at Port Royal Landing Marina and with starter issues. This a very pretty spot to be stuck, but. The >30 AMP circuit breaker on the dock pedestal popped last night and my inverter keep the electric heat on. So this am my battiery were low and went I tried to start this am something happened with my starter. It will make a whirring sound and will not engage. The marina staff seem to only know one tech and he was to arrive to my boat at12:30PM it's 4:30 PM now and he is still on the way. Anyone know anyone were here, very close to Beaford, SC?

Trying to heat your boat with an electric heater and an inverter is a loosing proposition. I hesitate to say what you should have done but I'll say it anyway; You should have gone out and reset the breaker or moved your cord to another outlet..

Since your starter has been fine for years and just stopped working when you ran your batteries down, I would almost put money on it being a battery problem, not a starter problem.

As for a mechanic, you should be able to find one on your own using the Internet or by calling around. Try calling other marinas for recommendations. You are only an hour by car from Charleston and Charleston is full of marine mechanics, some good, some not so good.

Have you asked if the marina has a jump start battery?

Google "starter whirrs but won't engage" lots of suggestions. from what I saw in a quick look maybe batt is too weak to spin fast enough or hard enough to extend the starter gear, on the starter's shaft, out far enough to engage the flywheel.
Good luck

The trouble with the inverter I do not know how long the power was out. All was good at 11pm and noticed it was out at 3:30 am and turned off most loads reset the dock breaker.

Start battiery is a good brand only 3 month old and tests well after recharge.

I did find someone hope he is a good one, said he would show up at 9am

I'm out of my home port and hoped I could of found recommendation.

As a total non mechanic, the classic short term treatment for a starter not throwing in was a smart tap to the body of the starter motor and/or the solenoid.

Do you have a multi meter/volt meter that you can test voltage at the hot terminal at starter?

Bruce has the right direction. What is the make and model of your motor? That may dictate who can help you from a distance. Your problem is its Friday night. Your mechanics are lubricating their intakes in the bar.

If you have time, you can look a bunch of stuff up on YouTube and get a mini-education on your starter maintenance.

As mentioned above. First make sure you have around 12.5 12.7 v at the starter. If so I would give the body of the starter a couple sharp taps with a hammer to make sure the gear is not stuck on the bendix (on some starters you can feel with your finger to ensure it is down. As it's spinning those are your two basic options.

Carolina Marine Diesel Inc

58 Wild Horse Pl,
Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
(843) 681-9976

As a total non mechanic, the classic short term treatment for a starter not throwing in was a smart tap to the body of the starter motor and/or the solenoid.

We call that "percussive maintenance". I've used it often in different situations including stuck computer hard drives.

Found a guy and got started made it to a known boat yard for proper repair

I have worked around intermittent starter solenoid wiring problems with a screwdriver across the solenoid and starter hot terminals. Only problem is all the sparks that fly during that operation. Then I bought one of these remote start switches to help in the ER. It's come in handy for multiple uses including cranking the engine to purge the fuel lines after a secondary filter change.

orly_20750c.jpg

That and a good DVM can troubleshoot many start and electrical problems. Let us know what it turned out to be.

Found a guy and got started made it to a known boat yard for proper repair

Great to hear you got it sorted....please let us know what the problem was when you get time.

please post what marina you will be using and what caused the problem.

The boat is at Hinkley's in Thunderbolt, GA and I'm home to spend the holiday with family. I had a short list of upgrades planed for next week and the starter is now on top of the list. I think it's a mechanical issue with the "clutch" find out after the long weekend.

Greetings,
We've had work done at Hinkley's in Thunderbolt. Quite satisfied and very professional crew there. Great bunch of guys and gals.

Back
Top Bottom