Heading South Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Well, we spent a couple of days on the hook relaxing at Cumberland Is. Nat’l Seashore. We saw the usual suspects, “wild” horses, deer, eagles, and of course, Mr. Armadillo. It is a very special place.

Spent a couple of days waiting out a storm at Beach Marina in Jacksonville Beach.

We are currently hanging out in St. Augustine. We had a late departure yesterday from Jax Beach due to some work I was having done on the FB tachs.
By the time we got in at St. Augustine it was late afternoon and there was a boat already hooked up to the mooring ball (can) that had been assigned to us. I had called the marina several times to confirm that we would be getting in late and not to give up our space which was the last one. After some awkward minutes the marina guy asked the other boat to unhook and come over to the fuel dock so they could work something out. Apparently he had no reservations and just came in and took the last open ball. I think they got him a slip for a couple of nights.

We had T-Day dinner at the Columbia and had a nice walk around town.

We’ll probably stay here until Saturday and then continue on south.

We’ll probably anchor at Marine Stadium in Virginia Key before heading down Hawk Channel to Boot Key Harbor. Will most likely anchor at Rodriguez Key on our way down.
We should be in Marathon by Dec. 6-7.

We keep hoping it will get warmer as we get further south.
Right now I’m so glad we have a heater on the boat. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1783.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1784.jpg

It looks like the sub. pictured in post 30 is comming right at you, kinda spooky, how did that go?

I can remember years ago we were about 10-15 miles off Charleston, turning to head in to the harbor and all of a sudden the water about 150 yards off our port side was kind of bubbling and frothy-a 550 foot Trident surfaced about 150 yards from us. Scared the sh#t out of me. The Captain come on the radio and apologized saying they had not picked us up before they surfaced.

The Captain come on the radio and apologized saying they had not picked us up before they surfaced.

Well that's mildly terrifying... Looks like it's time to pick up a sonar reflector.

It looks like the sub. pictured in post 30 is comming right at you, kinda spooky, how did that go?

I thought I was pretty clear of the “security zone”, until a Navy RIB came over to us and politely asked us to move further out of the channel.
Let’s see now, the guy on the bow is hanging on to a .50 cal and the guy in the stern is tapping on a M60. Yes sir, I will be glad to move further into shoal water.

The bow wake from the sub was much bigger than I expected.

It was however, quite a spectacular sight. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1785.jpg

I can remember years ago we were about 10-15 miles off Charleston, turning to head in to the harbor and all of a sudden the water about 150 yards off our port side was kind of bubbling and frothy-a 550 foot Trident surfaced about 150 yards from us. Scared the sh#t out of me. The Captain come on the radio and apologized saying they had not picked us up before they surfaced.

Shades of the Ehime Maru and the US Sub in Hawaii in 2001!

"We’ll probably anchor at Marine Stadium in Virginia Key before heading down Hawk Channel to Boot Key Harbor. Will most likely anchor at Rodriguez Key on our way down.
We should be in Marathon by Dec. 6-7."

It is definitely warmer here in Boot Key. You will enjoy it.

Well, we finally made it to Marathon. We stayed at a couple of places a little longer than planned.

The ride down the Florida ICW was pretty uneventful except for the crazy lady in Vero Beach, banging on my hull at 2am yelling that I needed to call the cops because she was going to commit suicide. How fast can you dial 911!

Driving the boat through Ft. Lauderdale is like going through Venice with high-rises.
Spent a couple of days hanging out at Marine Stadium with the Miami cityscape as a backdrop. Very easy place to anchor and relax.

The ride down Hawk Channel was easy-peasy on Monday. Spent the night on the hook at Rodriguez Key and the next day had a “blustery” ride down to Marathon with 25+ kt winds, fortunately, from the NW.

We’ve been hanging on the ball in Boot Key for a few days now cleaning the boat up and getting ready to leave her for a couple of weeks. Spent yesterday going over the bilge pumps.

Had the lighted boat parade tonight, very nice.

Heading up to NJ for Christmas. Brrrr! KJ

1429-albums131-picture1797.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1799.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1800.jpg

For what its worth we just spent a month in key West, ok actually next to Key West. For 1/3 the price of downtown Stock island Marina is a good place to tie off with all new facilities, a diesel repair shop just off property and VERY good price for fuel. I'd recommend it. if you were planning on heading that way.

Harry

KJ, welcome to Boot Key. We are on A13. You will enjoy it here.

KJ, welcome to Boot Key. We are on A13. You will enjoy it here.

Yeah, I really enjoyed my time here last visit.

We cruised by your “Queen” in the dink. Very nice.
How long are you here for?
I’ll give you a holler when I get back.

Very pleasant day today – 70 degrees. It got down to 63 last night. Brrrr! KJ

Yeah, I really enjoyed my time here last visit.

We cruised by your “Queen” in the dink. Very nice.
How long are you here for?
I’ll give you a holler when I get back.

Very pleasant day today – 70 degrees. It got down to 63 last night. Brrrr! KJ

It has been a little cool compared to normal, but it won't last long. We are leaving in late February or early March.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to any folks heading down to the Keys right now.

The harbor at Boot Key, Marathon Municipal, is completely full. All the mooring balls are occupied with quite a few boats anchored out waiting to get in.

There should be several boats leaving in the next week or two heading over to the Bahamas. KJ

I was thinking of doing the "Florida Loop" this June. Are the mooring options in the Keys better in the summer?

I was thinking of doing the "Florida Loop" this June. Are the mooring options in the Keys better in the summer?

We did the Florida loop this week. Key West was certainly crowded for New Years but it still was a great quick trip.

OTE=B?andB;296167]We did the Florida loop this week. Key West was certainly crowded for New Years but it still was a great quick trip.[/QUOTE]

Was the keywest
mooring field Full

OTE=B?andB;296167]We did the Florida loop this week. Key West was certainly crowded for New Years but it still was a great quick trip.

Was the keywest
mooring field Full[/QUOTE]

Everything was full for New Years Eve but that doesn't mean it is now. Everyone wanted to see either the giant shoe with the drag queen drop, the huge lime drop, the conch shell drop, or the pirate wench drop.

Currently on the hook at Islamorada waiting for a window.

Thought we were gonna make over on Thursday, but that looks real iffy now.

Still, there's worse places to be stuck. KJ

Currently lying at anchor off Pumpkin Key, waiting to pass through Angelfish Creek to cross over to Bimini, hopefully Wednesday.

Spent a couple of days behind Alabama Jack’s. What a hoot! Great food, live music. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1830.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1833.jpg

Currently lying at anchor off Pumpkin Key, waiting to pass through Angelfish Creek to cross over to Bimini, hopefully Wednesday.

If you find you really like Pumpkin Key, it is for sale. You might not have known that. 26 Acres. The asking price is $110 million but I'm sure they're negotiable.

Well, we finally made it over to the Bahamas. We left from Angelfish Creek Wednesday morning before dawn and pulled into Bimini around 2:30pm.

The crossing was great, light easterly breeze and very little swell. Later that evening it kicked up to 15/20 kts. When they say small window, they mean small.

When we left Marathon we had a flotilla of three trawlers. By the time we left Pumpkin Key we had six. Everyone is splitting up after the Berry Islands.

We’ll probably stay here till Wed/Thurs and then head on down to Nassau and then on to the Exumas.

I had forgotten how incredibly clear the water is over here. We’ve been toughing it out, having fresh lobster and snapper every night. KJ

1429-albums308-picture1837.jpg

1429-albums308-picture1836.jpg

Jealous. Very cool. Need more pics!

I had forgotten how incredibly clear the water is over here. We’ve been toughing it out, having fresh lobster and snapper every night.

I think between each trip one tends to forget how special the Bahamas are. It's as if these thousands of islands were designed and put in crystal clear water off the coast so we'd all have a wonderful place to visit. There are so many islands, you always have something new to see while revisiting old favorites.

It's like the answer to this question: So, where do people who already live in a vacation and tourist paradise go to get away? Answer: The Bahamas.

We have friends who regularly will fly over for weekends after a hard week in the office. They'll rent center consoles and just relax.

What's the preferred route to Nassau?

That depends entirely where you are departing from.

We are leaving from North Bimini and heading south and crossing the Banks at either Triangle Rocks, Turtle Rocks, or Gun Cay, depending on conditions. We’ll anchor out on the Banks for the night and then head for the Northwest Channel and on to Nassau.

The Explorer Chartbooks have all the suggested waypoints of the most commonly used routes.

The marina emptied out this morning, at least twelve boats left, almost all heading for the Berry Islands. A few boats were going for an overnight passage to Nassau, a twenty-two hour jaunt. No thank you.

Went lobster diving this afternoon. Is it possible to eat too much lobster (rhetorically of course)? KJ

Back
Top Bottom