Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #101
Guru

ken. . Ok cool. Good luck. ,last summer when I stayed at the George Town Yacht Club the docK power was a 137 volts. I do not understand why and my main battery charger has not been the same since. I guess that's what can happen in the third world

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #102
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
On the Road Again

After a month of R&R (repair & refit) in St. Augustine (actually Marineland) we’re back on the water. Feels good to be out there again, although we’ve had a pretty wild ride so far, with some really, really, windy conditions.

After a couple of very breezy days at Cumberland Is., we headed out, anticipating a rough passage at St. Andrew’s Sound. However, it wasn’t really that bad, just lumpy seas with 3-4 foot confused waves. We did manage to hit it at just about slack, so that helped a lot.

Jekyll Creek was its usual pucker factor self, as was the Little Mud River. Crossed Doboy Sound in 40+ mph winds (they were clocking 50+ at Thunderbolt). The boat was heeled over more than just a few degrees. Very intense. It reminded me of my sailboat days. Spent a pleasant night anchored in New Tea Kettle Creek after the wind died down. Had a nice rainfall to wash the boat down.

Yesterday was very windy again. We had an uneventful passage through Hell Gate and anchored in the Vernon River for another pleasant evening, with a short hop to Thunderbolt today.

Next hop is to Beaufort (not Bowfort) were we’ll tie up at Lady’s Island Marina and then on to St. John’s just south of Charleston.

We’re keeping an eye on Ana, which is supposed to make landfall at my home port of North Myrtle Beach. I’m not too hot on the idea of going through the skinny water section right after Isle of Palms during stormy weather. We’ll most likely anchor in either Awendaw Creek or Minum Creek and then on to Bucksport for a night.

Next Friday (5/15/15), makes it six months since I left Barefoot Marina. Seems like only yesterday (or forever). I have to admit, I’m looking forward to getting “home”. Florida was fun, the Bahamas were great (albeit windy), and the ICW “interestingly challenging” (again). But it’s time to “click my heels” and get home and rest from my “vacation”. KJ

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #103
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
KJ, You are now an old hand on the AICW. Now, go north to the Chesapeake.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #104
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
KJ, You are now an old hand on the AICW. Now, go north to the Chesapeake.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it. I lived in Maine for a while and wouldn’t mind cruising “Downeast” either. KJ
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #105
KJ
El Capitan

Home sweet home

Well, we finally made it back to Barefoot. Seems like a long time since I last tied up at the ol’ home marina. Got the boat cleaned up and am heading up to NJ (driving) for some “land time”.

We had pleasant stays at Thunderbolt Marina (can’t beat those doughnuts), Lady’s Island Marina at Beaufort, and St. Johns Marina (south of Charleston) with pretty much uneventful passages wind-wise. Tropical storm Ana had moved further north so the weather was pretty nice. We stayed at a lot more marinas on the way back up this time, I’d say about half the time. It’s very easy to get used to the comfort and sense of security (weather–wise) being tied up at a marina dock.

We transited through the Isle of Palms at low water with three sailboats and a barge grounded in the middle of the channel. I followed two other trawlers through at idle speed and made it through OK. We were reading 8 inches under the keel at one point. High water wasn’t until later in the day so there weren’t a lot of options. We anchored in Minim Creek for the night and stayed at Bucksport Marina the next night, waiting for high water to get into Barefoot the next day. A sailboat grounded right in front of my dock at Barefoot later that day.

The fresh water pump gave out a week before getting home. Fortunately, I had an old spare pump that I was able to put in place. The bearing in the port raw water pump also gave out, but the engine was still getting sufficient water to the heat exchanger. I have already replaced the bearing and seal (and impeller).

So, other than having my battery bank and inverter fried in Nassau, there really wasn’t that much in the way of major problems, which I think is pretty good for six months of travelling, thank goodness.

I’ll probably just do local trips this summer and think about heading north next summer.
Time to let the old girl (the boat) and skipper rest for a while. KJ

Old 06-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #106
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
All the electrical repairs went well?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #107
KJ
El Capitan

Yup. I replaced all the batts and inverter (which fortunately, was still under warranty). The charger somehow survived. Replaced some cables and wires and had the whole system checked out by a marine electrician. Put in a new alternator while I was at it. Everything is running fine, maybe even better than before. KJ

PS I passed you guys while you were heading south (around Hobe Sound, I think). Talked to you for a few minutes on the radio.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #108
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Now that's the way to enjoy a boat. That's how we put a lot of miles on. In fact, we're heading North next Wednesday. And makes sense some short trips over this summer and then head north next summer. One should always be planning the next trip after finishing one.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #109
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Welcome home! I am back in Little River, we should get together sometime.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 PM   #110
KJ
El Capitan

Yeah, that would be nice. Perhaps we could meet up at Bird Island sometime, if summer ever decides to show up. Or you could come down for the fireworks show on July 4th at Barefoot Landing.

It would be really cool if someone could organize a TF rendezvous in our area. Lots of great places to go to. KJ