Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #81
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Well, I’m back in the good ol’ US of A.

I stopped at a marina in Nassau on my way to the Berry’s and Abacos and wasn’t plugged in to the shore power for more than twenty minutes when a mega-yacht across the fairway spiked the whole marina with a huge power surge that “fried” any boat’s DC system that was connected to the marina power and had their chargers on, like mine and the two KK’s that pulled in right before me and after me. Killed my inverter and five of my seven batteries. Blew one of my battery's posts right off the body, and boiled another on the spot. The engine room and main cabin were thick with the smell of hydrogen gas. I disconnected all the battery cables, praying I wouldn't cause a spark and completely ruin my day. Very intense. One of the Kadey guys said his whole nav system was toast. After the spike the whole marina lost power for several hours. The mega–yacht was registered in the Bikini Is., so good luck going after him. I got all the info and we’ll see what the insurance people say. The marina denies responsibility.

So I inquired at a couple of the local repair facilities and no one was really interested in doing the work. One yard said they could fly a guy in from Miami to do the repairs. He had one battery he would sell me for $400.

So I rewired the two working batteries and hightailed my butt back to Ft. Lauderdale. Everything seemed to be holding together ok so I figured I would to try to make it to St. Augustine where I can stay at a marina for a while to effect repairs. I know some folks up there so that would work best for me. On the way up, I dropped the hook at Cocoa and the next morning both engines wouldn’t start and my plotters/sounders were kaput. I jump started the port engine with the genset battery and made it up to Titusville where I replaced all the batteries. Everything seems to be ok except my port tachs are acting screwy. I’m gonna have a marine electrician go through the whole system when I get to St. Augustine.

Right now I’m spending the night at the Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona Beach. Nice place.

Passed “Hobo” (heading south) on the road today, just south of New Smyrna. Nice boat guys.

KJ

PS At least I was able to pack the freezer with lobster in Bimini.

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #82
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Holy crap! That's terrible.

What caused the spike with the mega yacht?

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #83
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Holy crap! That's terrible.

What caused the spike with the mega yacht?
Supposedly. he had a couple of "monster" gensets all running at the same time and when they exceeded the boats capacity it tripped the breakers and back-fed into the shore power system. He had two hundred amp lines running into the boat.

I dunno, sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I mean, how power hungry is this guy? KJ
Old 03-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #84
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Gee whiz KJ, you just cannot have nice things. Lobster and ice cold beer should help salve the soul. Watch out for those evil rich people and their boats, we have a whole thread devoted to it around here somewhere

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #85
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
So the moral of the story is, if a mega yacht pulls in, unplug from shore power maybe just to be safe?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #86
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Ouch! Good Luck with the repairs and hope all works out for you.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Supposedly. he had a couple of "monster" gensets all running at the same time and when they exceeded the boats capacity it tripped the breakers and back-fed into the shore power system. He had two hundred amp lines running into the boat.

I dunno, sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I mean, how power hungry is this guy? KJ
Actually sounds like a marina problem too. They should have the electrical systems protected against any sort of overload or spike of that nature. Properly wired, there should be nothing one boat can do to cause such harm to other boats.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM   #88
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Gee whiz KJ, you just cannot have nice things. Lobster and ice cold beer should help salve the soul.
Oh yeah, could've been a lot worse. You could have heard about it second hand. KJ
Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #89
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
So the moral of the story is, if a mega yacht pulls in, unplug from shore power maybe just to be safe?

No, sounds like they're was a either a flaw in the design of the yachts electrical system or lots of voltage leaked where it shouldn't have. But that's pure speculation. I've never had problems, when yachts come in. A lot of the three phase 100amp connections have they're own local transformer.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
https://partsandpower.wordpress.com/...ces-your-boat/
Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #91
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Oh yeah, could've been a lot worse. You could have heard about it second hand. KJ

Thank goodness I'm not. Be well my friend.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 PM   #92
KJ
El Capitan

Speaking of mega-yachts, this mini-mega boat was dogging me all the way through Ft. Lauderdale. I thought for sure he was going to run me over a couple of times. In fact, I took the picture for insurance purposes. After about twenty minutes, the Coasties pulled him over for a “courtesy” inspection. Poetic justice. KJ

Old 03-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #93
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Surge protection on boats has long been a concern and issue. In fact, the Coast Guard has had to issue warnings against using typical home protectors for computers and equipment. However...there are some working on complete systems. There are some protection devices for your shore power cord, but only up to 50 amps. Then there is this, a complete boat system that will handle up to 90,000 amps.

Marine: C-Power Surge Suppressors
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM   #94
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:

Runnng two 100a cords is nothing unusual for a larger boat. We're they single phase or three phase?

They most likely had the gensets running because the power sucked at the marina. Not uncommon for larger boats.

But I can't quite figure out how power from a ships Genset can back feed to shore. That would be a good trick considering it would have to jump an open switch or two. Not to mention you said breaker tripped.

Did you talk to the ships engineer, if they had one, about what happened? How big was the boat? Name?

Marshall Islands maritime law follows US law for the most part. That plus the fact I'm sure they're insured means you could go after them. If of course you could prove they did something wrong. The reality is that the owner would most likely just pay if off himself if you could show just cause.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #95
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Speaking of mega-yachts, this mini-mega boat was dogging me all the way through Ft. Lauderdale. I thought for sure he was going to run me over a couple of times. In fact, I took the picture for insurance purposes. After about twenty minutes, the Coasties pulled him over for a “courtesy” inspection. Poetic justice. KJ

It's Lauderdale, you may not want to boat here if you have personal space issues. Much like driving here.

Did you call him and ask him if he would like to pass you?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #96
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
It's Lauderdale, you may not want to boat here if you have personal space issues. Much like driving here.
Did you call him and ask him if he would like to pass you?

I don't have personal space issues, but I do have personal injury issues. I've been through Ft. Lauderdale several times and know the crazy boating conditions there. This guy was just being a jerk.

I hailed him several times with no response. Passing? Ft. Lauderdale on a Sunday afternoon? A gazillion boats right in front of me and as many coming the other way, including a paddlewheeler. No passing possible. Just gotta be patient and get through it. KJ
Old 04-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #97
KJ
El Capitan

The real reason I left the Bahamas in such a hurry was that the word had spread throughout the Islands that a certain Rufus T. had left Freedonia and was going to be in Ft. Lauderdale for a visit.

Not wanting to miss an opportunity to meet such infamous scoundrel, I made haste to leave the enchanted (albeit windy) islands and hotfooted it to FLL only to find that he was travelling under a pseudonym with an encrypted boat name and was nowhere to be found.

Oh well, I was hoping to let him buy me a beer. Maybe on his return voyage.

It is April 1st, isn’t it? Capt. E. Fudd
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #98
Guru

Hey Kenny
The slip next to me in Hollywood is empty if u need a spot...
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #99
Guru

Or if you need ground transport or anything else for that matters. I am very competent with electrical systems
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #100
KJ
El Capitan

Hey Michael, good to hear from you. Been a while.

I'm up in St. Augustine now. I'll be hanging out here for a bit. A guy is coming out on Sat. to go through my whole electrical system and some of the other systems too. I should have given you a shout when I passed through Hollywood. As it was, I anchored at Lake Boca Raton (would somebody please tell me why they call that a "lake") with a couple of hundred other boats, all partying. Fortunately, by dark most of them left and it was pretty quiet.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. Hope to see you next time down, or if you're going north, stop at my place in SC. KJ

Lake Boca Raton