Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Heading out!

We're at the 3 week mark before departure!* After more than 2 years of preparation (and learning how to handle our first boat!), we are preparing to depart on a planned circumnavigation.* We'll be heading south from San Diego and then through the Panama Canal and east from there.*
We have a website up (www.yorksafloat.com) if anyone wants to follow us on our trip.* If history is any predictor of the future, it should be lively!
The website is still somewhat under construction and will be evolving a far bit over the next few weeks and months.
I hope to see some of you on the way!
Jim

M/V Antipodes
Yorksafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Heading out!

I will being following as we plan on heading North to Canada/Alaska for a couple of years then down the coast to warmer weather.* We are 2 to 3 years off as there are several up grades/wants to be done on the Eagle.* If the new Health Care passes, and the stock market improving we may throw*off the lines earlier.*

Wish the you*good weather and calm water.* ***
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Sure sounds great! Post pics when you have time. Panama Canal has been something I would love to see from a pleasue boat!
troy994719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We aren't going through the Panama Canal until late December so you'll have to wait a bit for those photos.* We will be posting photos and blog updates everywhere we can get WiFi or via text from the sat phone.

Jim
M/V Antipodes
Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Heading out!

Y'all have a good and safe trip. One of my dreams is to cruise the Sea of Cortes. It seems that y'all may be speeding right past it???

And please, if you get the time and resources, stop in here every now and then!!!

Fair winds and following seas, amigo!!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 9th of October 2009 05:12:09 PM
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

John - In a trawler, we don't speed ANYWHERE!
We are bypassing the Sea of Cortes for a variety of reasons (mostly because we've already been there).* I'm virtually certain that I'll be posting questions as I go along.
Thanks for the good wishes.
Jim

M/V Antipodes
Old 10-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Guru

I have not been through but know several profession captains that have gone through and read several article/books.* They tend to push you through as the fee is for the stand two days. *Going though the Panama Canal cost about 2 grand includes an adviser for the 2 to 3 day passage, requires 4 people to handle the 125 ft lines in the locks, and can be quite intense.**

The big ships go in first, then by size so you will probable be the last and not against the wall, but between some bigger boats.* Have plenty of bumper/fender/tires for both sides to protect you boat. We have been through the Seattle big locks sever dozen times and have seen damage to boats and people.* Make sure every body has a sharp knife to cut the ropes if necessary and not to cleat/lock them down.*

There is usually a 1+ month wait to get through.** So many first timers help other boats with the lines while waiting so they have an idea what is involved. The Pacific is higher than the Atlantic so there is a current that makes it easy going East.* Some sail boats and under powered motor boats have a slow tough time going west.* ******

Anyway, you might want to start planning/registering now if you are planning for December to go through. *I will be looking forward to reading your about your adventures.* **********
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #8

The Pacific is higher than the Atlantic???
Old 10-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I thought they were both at sea level??
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Guru

The defference is about one foot, the tide swings are bigger and the land is higher*on the Pacific side.* *Anyway there is a current flowing east through the canal.** ***
Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

I believe Phil is correct on the height of the Pacific. (Mainly the western Pacific) While studying El Ninos, years ago, I believe I read that, indeed, this was the case. I know..I know, sea level is sea level but such is not the case. (Within 1 foot, however.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #12

Probably has something to do with currents piling up water over there.......
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Congratulations and God Speed!
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Jim,
Down near the bottom of this page "Voyagers .. .. " you will see a topic by "Oldfishboat"** ..* "Just sucks". Anne and Rob Hays Ran their 40' Willard from Seward Alaska to Puget Sound and kept a "sail blog" along the way. This group didn't pick up on it but WBO owners on Yahoo groups sent Anne many compliments on her effort w the blog. If your'e new to sail blogging I'm shure there will be much to enjoy and learn about sail blogging. Mot many of us have the flair for writting that Anne does but facts and other content can frequiently trump flair. Whatever** ..* we will all be leaning on your fiction, fact or flair.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote