Headed South for Winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
It's good to be back on Moonstruck. We moved her back to the marina from the yard where she was put on the hard for Irene.* The bottom was painted, new zincs, and Propspeed applied.* Now, it's just taking care of some small items that need to be done before leaving about Nov. 1.

This brings up the question of who is headed South.* We are headed for Fort Pierce because of the marina right in town, good access to a great inlet,*great fishing, and about 75 miles from the Little Bahama Bank.*

If you are going our way, let us know.

Fort Pierce is a great spot. Are you staying at the city marina or Harbortown.? Great spot for the winter,keep us posted.

Sortie wrote:
Fort Pierce is a great spot. Are you staying at the city marina or Harbortown.? Great spot for the winter,keep us posted.
*City Marina, very convenient place.* Walk to restaurants, and good access to the inlet.* We checked it out on our trip North.

Sortie wrote:
*Sortie,* just wrapped up both the slip reservation and the year 'round Florida insurance today.* With the lack of hurricanes hitting Florida in recent years the gap is closing a little on the price of insurance.* Now, it is much cheaper that making a 2500 mile round trip.

We are really looking forward to getting back to South Florida for some warmth and blue water.* Looks like spring of 2013 before heading back to the Chesapeake for the summer and fall.* With the Bahamas within 3 hours, South Florida winters, and the Chesapeake in summer and fall, life is not too bad on the East Coast.

By the way, Moonstruck is now called a rear pilot house with cockpit fast trawler.* We cruise like a trawler except for speed.
biggrin.gif

I too pulled out for Irene.* I have a freshly cleaned bottom and new zincs.

I am heading your way in exactly two weeks, although I have no idea how long it will take.* I am sitting on my boat at this moment and drinking a cocktail wondering what else I need to do, and there is plenty. *If I can get the canvass guy to finish my enclosure and my mechanic to rebuild my raw water pumps I would be a happy man.* These guys should charge extra to do any work within 3 months, and they would be rich.

Woody*

Egregious wrote:

I am heading your way in exactly two weeks, although I have no idea how long it will take.* I am sitting on my boat at this moment and drinking a cocktail wondering what else I need to do, and there is plenty. *If I can get the canvass guy to finish my enclosure and my mechanic to rebuild my raw water pumps I would be a happy man.* These guys should charge extra to do any work within 3 months, and they would be rich.

Woody*
*Woody, we plan to leave Hilton Head in exactly 4 weeks.* You should be ahead of us, but with our speed we should catch you somewhere along the way.* Post as you go so we may know where we might meet up.

Moonstruck wrote:Egregious wrote:

Woody*
*Woody, we plan to leave Hilton Head in exactly 4 weeks.* You should be ahead of us, but with our speed we should catch you somewhere along the way.* Post as you go so we may know where we might meet up.

*Moon,

you will pass us.* We average 7.5 knots.* I will PM you our blog.* We are a crazy couple who decided to buy a boat and leave our jobs during the worst recession in US history that didn't qualify as the "great depression".

But as a side effect, I have a perfectly working boat!*

Woody

You guys both*HAVE to keep posting as you go.* I hate this time of year.* It's just simply sad &*painful to watch the cruisers prep and leave for six months.* We just can't do it yet.*

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for you!!* It's just painful for me.* :)

And..I want pictures!!!

If you're heading south down the Atlantic coast....and passing by Daytona Beach..... Halifax Harbor Marina will probably have lots of slips available. I don't work for them, but my boat is there.... The marina is in downtown Daytona and lots of things are close by...

JAT wrote:
If you're heading south down the Atlantic coast....and passing by Daytona Beach..... Halifax Harbor Marina will probably have lots of slips available. I don't work for them, but my boat is there.... The marina is in downtown Daytona and lots of things are close by...
*Thans.* I have stayed there and fueled there also.* I like to eat at the Chart House.* I have stayed at the Halifax River Yacht Club a couple of times.* Once before and once after the new building.* We are trying to schedule a stop at Palm Coast which is about 40 miles north of Daytona.* That would probably preclude a stop at Daytona this trip.

Besslb wrote:
You guys both*HAVE to keep posting as you go.* I hate this time of year.* It's just simply sad &*painful to watch the cruisers prep and leave for six months.* We just can't do it yet.*

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for you!!* It's just painful for me.* :)

And..I want pictures!!!

*Here's all I have so far!* Getting ready and boat repairs.*Change fuel and lube filters, repair a cracked fresh water plumbing fitting, make fenderboards, *replaced the cable TV outlet, put in a bigger TV,*and much, much more!

In addition we have rebuilt raw water pumps for both engines plus generator, and in the process of changing the exhaust elbow on one engine.* Cha-Ching!

-- Edited by Egregious on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 12:10:21 PM

Attachments

• dscf3684.jpg
    dscf3684.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 84
  • dscf3644.jpg
    dscf3644.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 80
  • dscf3631.jpg
    dscf3631.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 79
  • dscf3629.jpg
    dscf3629.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 84
  • dscf3558.jpg
    dscf3558.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 82
  • dscf3543.jpg
    dscf3543.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 81
Besslb wrote:
I hate this time of year.* It's just simply sad &*painful to watch the cruisers prep and leave for six months.
I'm thinking that you're looking at this the wrong way. The more people leave, the more you have the place and your waters to yourself.* The quieter the anchorages and marinas will be, the less cluttered the bays and waterways will be.

It would be FANTASIC if half the boaters up here packed up and took their boats south for the winter to California or Mexico or some other hot, sunny place that doesn't count.* Fall, winter, and spring boating is the best boating there is in this neck of the woods in our opinons, but while there are not near as many boats out and about as there are in June, July, and August, it would be even better if there were even less of them.*

Unfortunately we don't have a handy ditch that lets people take their boats south for the winter like you do back there.* On the other hand, not having the handy ditch means that all those boaters down south don't bring their boats up here, which I guess is actually the better deal.

Anyway, count your blessings that the crowds and the racket are gone for at least part of the year.* That's how I'd look at it, anyway.

Of course we are not social boaters.* One boat in sight is one boat too many in our book.* So for us a good chunk of the boating population disappearing for part of the year would be heaven.* Not everyone's approach to boating is like this, I realize.

Marin wrote:
*The more people leave, the more you have the place and your waters to yourself.* Abosulutely correct!

It would be FANTASIC if half the boaters up here packed up and took their boats south for the winter to California.... Now, just a minute!*

Fall, winter, and spring boating is the best boating there is in this neck of the woods. Same here.

Of course we are not social boaters. Neither are we.

Aww, You guys make me smile.* Our big river lends itself to never over crowded boating areas.* I'm just damn jealous is all.* There, I said it.* I wanna go south for the winter.

-- Edited by Besslb on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 08:17:51 PM

It was a pretty long day today.* Drove from Chattanooga to Hilton Head, stocked up the boat with food and beverages, took all the storage covers off, unpacked, and generally prepared to get underway.** The weather is a little rough---20-30 knot winds and forcast 9' offshore seas.* So, it will be in the ICW.* Don't know where we will stop tomorrow evening.* We plan to pick up a little fuel at Thunderbolt, and go until Lou says stop.

We are headed for Fort Pierce,* We have no schedule and no planned stops except maybe to see Capt. Mike at Palm Coast.* My kind of trip.

Lou is having some problems with her shoulder, so we may run some short days , or even lay over a day or so if needed.* This will also mean more marina stays than we normally would, but that can be nice, too.

Life is good on Moonstruck!
smile.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
Life is good on Moonstruck!
smile.gif
******** You're my cruising hero, Don. May you have the best trip yet!

Thanks for the good wishes.

We left Hilton Head 0830 hours and arrived Jekyll Harbor Marina, Jekyll Island, GA 1500 hours.* We picked up 100 gal. fuel at Thunderbolt.* An overcast, cold, and windy day.* It made little difference snug on the helm deck.* The trip was uneventful. Many people don't care for the Georgia marshes, but a day in the winding channels and sounds can be inspiring.

Early dinner tonight.* We have a big decision to make---whether to stay here another day, go on down to Fernandina Beach FL or run a full day.* This stuff is hard to figure out.

The boat is running great.* We saw few power boats on the way south.* We did pass one beautiful Marlow*from Road Harbour, BVI that is tied up behind us.* Maybe I'll check the weather, or maybe not.* It is what it is.* We'll see in the morning.*

When I returned to the Vallejo Marina after a two-and-a-half-month hiatus earlier this week,*a lot more berths were empty.* In response to my query, a neighbor-liveaboard told me the owners had taken their boats to Mexico for the winter.

OK with me.* There's lots of good boating days here during the winter.

Attachments

• boats gone 1.jpg
    boats gone 1.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 84
  • boats gone 2.jpg
    boats gone 2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 90
This is mainly for Bess as she wanted pictures as we go along.* We thought it best to take a day off, so we are still at Jekyll---not a bad place to hold up.

The Sea Islands of Georgia, St.Simons, Jekyll, and Cumberland, were the source of much of the oak framing for our early sailing ships.* The graceful, crooked branches have a natural shape that can lend itself to frames.* They are both strong and easier to shape.

In the late 1800's 53 gentlemen bought Jekyll island and turned it into a private club.* If the names J. P. Morgan, Goodyear, or Pulitzer mean anything to you, if will give you an idea of the wealth of the founders.* It was a secluded getaway for the rich and famous.* It was also a place for making some business deals.

Pictures follow showing some of the trip.* You can see the Jekyll Island Club and some of the "cottages".

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 6th of November 2011 01:39:47 PM

Attachments

• moonstruck at jekyll.jpg
    moonstruck at jekyll.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 104
  • lou and troy navigating.jpg
    lou and troy navigating.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 86
  • jekyll 2.jpg
    jekyll 2.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 87
  • jekyll cottage 3.jpg
    jekyll cottage 3.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 81
  • jekyll cottage 1.jpg
    jekyll cottage 1.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 89
  • jekyll 3.jpg
    jekyll 3.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 77
Thanks Don!!* Love the pictures!!* Keep em' coming!!* Lots of boats leaving NC this week.** Lots of Northeners moving in*to winter here as well.* It's really fun to follow along with friends out there cruising!!* I'll be watching for blog updates too!

Hope Lou is feeling better!!*I'm sure being aboard helps!!

Left Jekyll Island, GA at 0730 hrs.* Picked up fuel in Fernandina Beach, FL.* 254 gal. at $3.87/gal.* Went through St. Augustine at noon.* Arrived Halifax*Harbor Marina, Daytona Beach, FL 1500 hrs.* Sorry, Bess, but no pictures with this. Maybe later.

I have an important business conference call scheduled for tomorrow.* It that happens we will hold over another day in Daytona Beach.* Early to bed tonight.*

Old Stone wrote:
Don - It is wonderful following your trip, but one question. Given the distances you are travelling, what is your average speed? You sure seem to be covering some ground, or should I say, water !!!! Great post to follow, thanks.
*Hi Carl,

We left Daytona Beach at 0915 and arrived Ft. Pierce at 1600 hrs.* That is 136 statute miles.* The first 40 or so were pretty miserable.* Narrow channels, long no wake zones,* and slow passing what seemed like every boat on the East Coast.* After coming out of Haul Over Canal, the long run down the Indian River was covered at 25-27 knots (our normal cruise speed.

We have covered 400 miles in 3 days cruising.* We have been cruising only about 7 hurs per day.**For ICW travel, we haul the mail.* Few cruising boats can run with us.* When the slow boat traffic is heavy as in the spring and fall, it makes for some tedious passing work.* The experienced cruisers know the drill.* I slow, they slow, and I give them a good quick pass.* Some have no idea how to do it.* When you see a 40 something foot boat with the water drooping in a deep swag at the waterline, he is running close to hull speed.* I have to go at least 10-11 knots to give a slow pass.* That is where I throw the largest wake.* Go figure.* Even after asking them to slow, some don't.* Such is life on the ICW.

We are home for awhile.* Maybe a year or so.* We will cruise and fish*out of here.* It is a short hop to the Bahamas.*

After realizing that I did not answer your question about average speed, I figure we averaged about 20 mph.* Our regular cruise is 30 mph, but this considers idling, no wake zones, and slow passes.* By the way, something that most boaters don't have to put up with, but the difficult to read signs along the way can cost you money.* Believe it or not, there are no wake, minimum wake, 12" wake, 25 mph, 30 mph, and normal operation areas.* The signs for manatee protection are everywhere.* At 27 knots, you had better read them quickly.* We try very hard to obey them all.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 08:49:14 PM

Old Stone wrote:
Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, if Ft. Pierce is to be the water home base for a year, what are you land travel tactics between Fla and home (car of fly)? How often will you make the trip?
*Carl, it is a one day drive, so we will drive to have a car.* When the wind blows and boating is not good, there is still much to see and do withing a 100 mile radius from here.* Ft Lauderdale and Miami are always good,* Trawler Fest and the Miami Boat shows are coming up.

We plan to come down for a couple of weeks after Christmas.* Maybe cruise, maybe fish, or maybe hang out and relax.* Vero Beach is close by and a great stop for a few days.* Stuart the same.* We usually come every 4 to 6 weeks for a couple of weeks.* We want to spend about 6 weeks in the Bahamas in the spring.* Probably May and June.

I am on a mainly fishing dock.* I hired a charter boat captain next to me to look after the boat.* He will just check on it and move it for haul out in case of a hurricane.* I also made a deal with a diver to check the bottom once a month.* Moonstruck should be in good hands.* I will try to post some pictures later.

There seem to be few people who use their boat in a similar manner to us.* We get bored with one place, and enjoy the new scenery.* Meeting new people is nice too.* I have already learned some nice fishing info right here on the dock!

Moonstruck wrote:
There seem to be few people who use their boat in a similar manner to us.*
******* I know of no one.........

Moonstruck wrote:*We get bored with one place, and enjoy the new scenery.
See, that's the big problem with back east.* Flat gets boring fast.* It's never boring out here, even at the same places.* Everything's always changing-- weather, wildlife, water, the snow in the*mountains,*the amounts of volcanic ash in the air. *

It's the main reason I moved from Hawaii to here.* (I don't like Seattle, I like where Seattle is, plus it's near Vancouver, BC, one of the best cities on the planet in my book).

We have met a few people who do what you do but in this area.* Most of them live inland--- Montana, Idaho, Nevada.* They'll put their boat in Sidney for a year and come out and use it there.* Then they'll take it up to Campbell River for a year and come out and use it there.* Then maybe up to Ketchkan or Juneau for a year.* And so on.* Takes a fair amount of money to do this but if one can afford it it's a great way to get to know this part of the world.

Marin wrote:Moonstruck wrote:*We get bored with one place, and enjoy the new scenery.
See, that's the big problem with back east.* Flat gets boring fast.* It's never boring out here, even at the same places.* Everything's always changing-- weather, wildlife, water, the snow in the*mountains,*the amounts of volcanic ash in the air. *

It's the main reason I moved from Hawaii to here.* (I don't like Seattle, I like where Seattle is, plus it's near Vancouver, BC, one of the best cities on the planet in my book).

We have met a few people who do what you do but in this area.* Most of them live inland--- Montana, Idaho, Nevada.* They'll put their boat in Sidney for a year and come out and use it there.* Then they'll take it up to Campbell River for a year and come out and use it there.* Then maybe up to Ketchkan or Juneau for a year.* And so on.* Takes a fair amount of money to do this but if one can afford it it's a great way to get to know this part of the world.

*I have toyed with the idea of trucking Moonstruck to the PNW for a 3 or 4 year stay.* It would be an interesting place to cruise.* I am also*looking at flying out, renting a car, and doing the ferry system.* Then it would be time to come home to the warm, clear, blue waters of South Florida and the Bahamas.

I am liking this place at Ft. Pierce better with each day.* the Gulf
Stream is just off shore.* It is one of the best sports*fishing areas anywhere.* The weather has been perfect.* Location is great.* Starting home Monday morning.

Moonstruck wrote: * I am also*looking at flying out, renting a car, and doing the ferry system.* Then it would be time to come home to the warm, clear, blue waters of South Florida and the Bahamas.
I've done that several times as well as cruised on a private yacht throughout the area. A good case can be made for both approaches but after the ferry rides, you'll want Moonstruck for all the cove anchoring and fishing. It's a remarkable area.

Don,

Hotel Henning is ready for you * .....well that may depend on when you get here. Next week would be fine.*

Thanks, Eric.* We would love to take you up on it.* Another consideration would be a 3-4 week charter out of Anacortes.* That would probably make a good deal of sense.

We are planning to go up to Maine in summer or fall then visiting friends in Ontario.* We would like to charter a boat for a week up there, but haven't worked out the time to do it all.* We may have 4 grandkids with us.* If one goes they all go.* They love getting together for a trip with us.

There is truly so much to do.* We live in a great world.

OK Don,

I think they charter Nordic Tugs out of Juneau. Not sure. Should check it out though. It's a very long way to SE Alaska from Anacortes AND BACK. Better to use the time (and money) in Alaska. If you spent the whole summer cruising SE you'll scratch the surface to be sure but it would take 4 or 5 years to do the whole thing. I live here and have'nt come close. Talk to Arctic Traveler (Jeff). He's spent recent time in Juneau and gets around more than we do. But I can recommend some great places to go.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom