Old 09-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Headed South for Winter?

It's good to be back on Moonstruck. We moved her back to the marina from the yard where she was put on the hard for Irene.* The bottom was painted, new zincs, and Propspeed applied.* Now, it's just taking care of some small items that need to be done before leaving about Nov. 1.

This brings up the question of who is headed South.* We are headed for Fort Pierce because of the marina right in town, good access to a great inlet,*great fishing, and about 75 miles from the Little Bahama Bank.*

If you are going our way, let us know.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
RE: Headed South for Winter?

Fort Pierce is a great spot. Are you staying at the city marina or Harbortown.? Great spot for the winter,keep us posted.
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Sortie wrote:
Fort Pierce is a great spot. Are you staying at the city marina or Harbortown.? Great spot for the winter,keep us posted.
*City Marina, very convenient place.* Walk to restaurants, and good access to the inlet.* We checked it out on our trip North.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Sortie wrote:
*Sortie,* just wrapped up both the slip reservation and the year 'round Florida insurance today.* With the lack of hurricanes hitting Florida in recent years the gap is closing a little on the price of insurance.* Now, it is much cheaper that making a 2500 mile round trip.

We are really looking forward to getting back to South Florida for some warmth and blue water.* Looks like spring of 2013 before heading back to the Chesapeake for the summer and fall.* With the Bahamas within 3 hours, South Florida winters, and the Chesapeake in summer and fall, life is not too bad on the East Coast.

By the way, Moonstruck is now called a rear pilot house with cockpit fast trawler.* We cruise like a trawler except for speed.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I too pulled out for Irene.* I have a freshly cleaned bottom and new zincs.

I am heading your way in exactly two weeks, although I have no idea how long it will take.* I am sitting on my boat at this moment and drinking a cocktail wondering what else I need to do, and there is plenty. *If I can get the canvass guy to finish my enclosure and my mechanic to rebuild my raw water pumps I would be a happy man.* These guys should charge extra to do any work within 3 months, and they would be rich.

Woody*
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

I am heading your way in exactly two weeks, although I have no idea how long it will take.* I am sitting on my boat at this moment and drinking a cocktail wondering what else I need to do, and there is plenty. *If I can get the canvass guy to finish my enclosure and my mechanic to rebuild my raw water pumps I would be a happy man.* These guys should charge extra to do any work within 3 months, and they would be rich.

Woody*
*Woody, we plan to leave Hilton Head in exactly 4 weeks.* You should be ahead of us, but with our speed we should catch you somewhere along the way.* Post as you go so we may know where we might meet up.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Egregious wrote:

Woody*
*Woody, we plan to leave Hilton Head in exactly 4 weeks.* You should be ahead of us, but with our speed we should catch you somewhere along the way.* Post as you go so we may know where we might meet up.

*Moon,

you will pass us.* We average 7.5 knots.* I will PM you our blog.* We are a crazy couple who decided to buy a boat and leave our jobs during the worst recession in US history that didn't qualify as the "great depression".

But as a side effect, I have a perfectly working boat!*

Woody
Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

You guys both*HAVE to keep posting as you go.* I hate this time of year.* It's just simply sad &*painful to watch the cruisers prep and leave for six months.* We just can't do it yet.*

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for you!!* It's just painful for me.*

And..I want pictures!!!

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

If you're heading south down the Atlantic coast....and passing by Daytona Beach..... Halifax Harbor Marina will probably have lots of slips available. I don't work for them, but my boat is there.... The marina is in downtown Daytona and lots of things are close by...
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
JAT wrote:
If you're heading south down the Atlantic coast....and passing by Daytona Beach..... Halifax Harbor Marina will probably have lots of slips available. I don't work for them, but my boat is there.... The marina is in downtown Daytona and lots of things are close by...
*Thans.* I have stayed there and fueled there also.* I like to eat at the Chart House.* I have stayed at the Halifax River Yacht Club a couple of times.* Once before and once after the new building.* We are trying to schedule a stop at Palm Coast which is about 40 miles north of Daytona.* That would probably preclude a stop at Daytona this trip.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Guru

Headed South for Winter?

Quote:
Besslb wrote:
You guys both*HAVE to keep posting as you go.* I hate this time of year.* It's just simply sad &*painful to watch the cruisers prep and leave for six months.* We just can't do it yet.*

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for you!!* It's just painful for me.*

And..I want pictures!!!

*Here's all I have so far!* Getting ready and boat repairs.*Change fuel and lube filters, repair a cracked fresh water plumbing fitting, make fenderboards, *replaced the cable TV outlet, put in a bigger TV,*and much, much more!

In addition we have rebuilt raw water pumps for both engines plus generator, and in the process of changing the exhaust elbow on one engine.* Cha-Ching!

-- Edited by Egregious on Tuesday 11th of October 2011 12:10:21 PM
Attached Thumbnails
dscf3684.jpg   dscf3644.jpg   dscf3631.jpg   dscf3629.jpg   dscf3558.jpg  

dscf3543.jpg  
Old 10-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Besslb wrote:
I hate this time of year.* It's just simply sad &*painful to watch the cruisers prep and leave for six months.
I'm thinking that you're looking at this the wrong way. The more people leave, the more you have the place and your waters to yourself.* The quieter the anchorages and marinas will be, the less cluttered the bays and waterways will be.

It would be FANTASIC if half the boaters up here packed up and took their boats south for the winter to California or Mexico or some other hot, sunny place that doesn't count.* Fall, winter, and spring boating is the best boating there is in this neck of the woods in our opinons, but while there are not near as many boats out and about as there are in June, July, and August, it would be even better if there were even less of them.*

Unfortunately we don't have a handy ditch that lets people take their boats south for the winter like you do back there.* On the other hand, not having the handy ditch means that all those boaters down south don't bring their boats up here, which I guess is actually the better deal.

Anyway, count your blessings that the crowds and the racket are gone for at least part of the year.* That's how I'd look at it, anyway.

Of course we are not social boaters.* One boat in sight is one boat too many in our book.* So for us a good chunk of the boating population disappearing for part of the year would be heaven.* Not everyone's approach to boating is like this, I realize.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Marin wrote:
*The more people leave, the more you have the place and your waters to yourself.* Abosulutely correct!

It would be FANTASIC if half the boaters up here packed up and took their boats south for the winter to California.... Now, just a minute!*

Fall, winter, and spring boating is the best boating there is in this neck of the woods. Same here.

Of course we are not social boaters. Neither are we.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Guru

Headed South for Winter?

Aww, You guys make me smile.* Our big river lends itself to never over crowded boating areas.* I'm just damn jealous is all.* There, I said it.* I wanna go south for the winter.

-- Edited by Besslb on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 08:17:51 PM
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Guru

It was a pretty long day today.* Drove from Chattanooga to Hilton Head, stocked up the boat with food and beverages, took all the storage covers off, unpacked, and generally prepared to get underway.** The weather is a little rough---20-30 knot winds and forcast 9' offshore seas.* So, it will be in the ICW.* Don't know where we will stop tomorrow evening.* We plan to pick up a little fuel at Thunderbolt, and go until Lou says stop.

We are headed for Fort Pierce,* We have no schedule and no planned stops except maybe to see Capt. Mike at Palm Coast.* My kind of trip.

Lou is having some problems with her shoulder, so we may run some short days , or even lay over a day or so if needed.* This will also mean more marina stays than we normally would, but that can be nice, too.

Life is good on Moonstruck!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Life is good on Moonstruck!
******** You're my cruising hero, Don. May you have the best trip yet!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #17
Guru

Thanks for the good wishes.

We left Hilton Head 0830 hours and arrived Jekyll Harbor Marina, Jekyll Island, GA 1500 hours.* We picked up 100 gal. fuel at Thunderbolt.* An overcast, cold, and windy day.* It made little difference snug on the helm deck.* The trip was uneventful. Many people don't care for the Georgia marshes, but a day in the winding channels and sounds can be inspiring.

Early dinner tonight.* We have a big decision to make---whether to stay here another day, go on down to Fernandina Beach FL or run a full day.* This stuff is hard to figure out.

The boat is running great.* We saw few power boats on the way south.* We did pass one beautiful Marlow*from Road Harbour, BVI that is tied up behind us.* Maybe I'll check the weather, or maybe not.* It is what it is.* We'll see in the morning.*
Old 11-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

When I returned to the Vallejo Marina after a two-and-a-half-month hiatus earlier this week,*a lot more berths were empty.* In response to my query, a neighbor-liveaboard told me the owners had taken their boats to Mexico for the winter.

OK with me.* There's lots of good boating days here during the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
boats gone 1.jpg   boats gone 2.jpg  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
Guru

Headed South for Winter?

This is mainly for Bess as she wanted pictures as we go along.* We thought it best to take a day off, so we are still at Jekyll---not a bad place to hold up.

The Sea Islands of Georgia, St.Simons, Jekyll, and Cumberland, were the source of much of the oak framing for our early sailing ships.* The graceful, crooked branches have a natural shape that can lend itself to frames.* They are both strong and easier to shape.

In the late 1800's 53 gentlemen bought Jekyll island and turned it into a private club.* If the names J. P. Morgan, Goodyear, or Pulitzer mean anything to you, if will give you an idea of the wealth of the founders.* It was a secluded getaway for the rich and famous.* It was also a place for making some business deals.

Pictures follow showing some of the trip.* You can see the Jekyll Island Club and some of the "cottages".

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 6th of November 2011 01:39:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails
moonstruck at jekyll.jpg   lou and troy navigating.jpg   jekyll 2.jpg   jekyll cottage 3.jpg   jekyll cottage 1.jpg  

jekyll 3.jpg  
Old 11-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
Guru

Thanks Don!!* Love the pictures!!* Keep em' coming!!* Lots of boats leaving NC this week.** Lots of Northeners moving in*to winter here as well.* It's really fun to follow along with friends out there cruising!!* I'll be watching for blog updates too!

Hope Lou is feeling better!!*I'm sure being aboard helps!!