Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Headed South for Winter?

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Don do you have any updates on your Florida adventures? I finally have time to get caught up on TF and I'm wondering what you are up to.
*Hey Jennifer,

Moonstruck is tucked safely in her berth with the sun covers on.* She is under the watchful eye of a hired captain to check in on her.* For you and Bess, here are a few pictures around Fort Pierce.* Lou is having rotator cuff problems, so the trip was more hurried than we really wanted.* We have not updated the blog for the trip as of yet.

Some picture descriptions, but not in order.* One of the interesting transient boats stopping for the night, the Saturday morning farmers market next to the marina, one of two tiki bars around the harbor, and Lou buying a cactus at the farmers market.

By the way, one picture is of a pretty good Raggae band playing, and some kind of funky volunteer interpretive dancer.* What a hoot!

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 23rd of November 2011 01:19:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails
fort pierce 5.jpg   fort pierce 10.jpg   fort pierce 3.jpg   fort pierce 6.jpg   fort pierce 1.jpg  

fort pierce2.jpg   fort pierce 11.jpg   fort pierce 7.jpg  
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
RE: Headed South for Winter?

wow.* that is an impressive row of boats!

I read an article in the NY times about a study on rotator cuff injuries that seemed pretty unbelievable, but anyway, the study (sm # of subjects) found that having the subjects do a headstand for just a minute or two ONE TIME improved range of motion and reduced pain.* Seems too good to be true but worth a try?* it said the subjects didn't even have to get their legs in the air, just get your torso up.* The article was NOT published on april first, I swear.* If Lou tries it, let me know if she can tell any difference.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
wow.* that is an impressive row of boats!

I read an article in the NY times about a study on rotator cuff injuries that seemed pretty unbelievable, but anyway, the study (sm # of subjects) found that having the subjects do a headstand for just a minute or two ONE TIME improved range of motion and reduced pain.* Seems too good to be true but worth a try?* it said the subjects didn't even have to get their legs in the air, just get your torso up.* The article was NOT published on april first, I swear.* If Lou tries it, let me know if she can tell any difference.
*Fort Pierce is one of the places known for sail fishing.* There are many battlewagons around the area.* The marina is a popular stop for cruisers of the ICW, so that makes it really interesting.* You meet a lot of people.* One couple we met on our dock*is headed to the Bahamas for 6 months with 7 months of food and booze on board.

I will tell Lou about the hand stand deal.* We will see.* We are both geriatric, you know.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
*Fort Pierce is one of the places known for sail fishing.* There are many battlewagons around the area.* The marina is a popular stop for cruisers of the ICW, so that makes it really interesting.* You meet a lot of people.* One couple we met on our dock*is headed to the Bahamas for 6 months with 7 months of food and booze on board.

*that sounds SO COOL.* sigh.*
Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #45
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
I will tell Lou about the hand stand deal.* We will see.* We are both geriatric, you know.
*Don: I didn't know that Lou had rotator cuff problems. I've had the same problem for a few years now and as of yet haven't done anything about it.

It's getting worse and sometimes wakes me up (with a yell) if I turn the wrong way. Getting old is definitely not for sissys.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
*Don: I didn't know that Lou had rotator cuff problems. I've had the same problem for a few years now and as of yet haven't done anything about it.

It's getting worse and sometimes wakes me up (with a yell) if I turn the wrong way. Getting old is definitely not for sissys.

*Walt, Lou is trying to work it out with physical therapy.* Sometime next week is decision time about whether to do surgery.**The shoulder*gave her fits on the way down, and we layed over a day at Jekyll.* She slept during most of the last days run.* Of course, she was limited on what she could do about helping with lines and things.* Instead of anchoring, we just went in marinas at night.* She would have a problem entering and exiting the dinghy.* Hopefully, it is resolved soon. She really does need some relief.

Most people I have talked with say don't do the surgery unless you just can't stand it anymore.* Not a pleasant thing.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #47
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Most people I have talked with say don't do the surgery unless you just can't stand it anymore.* Not a pleasant thing.
Don,

That depends on if she will do the rehab religiously with out fail.* The rehab is rough and uncomfortable.* But it does*work and she will get stronger quickly*if she does it. When my wife had it done a couple of years ago she was lucky to have two things in her favor.* The Doc that did it also does a lot of the team work for the NC Hurricanes Hockey Team and the*therapist*that did her rehab also does a lot of work with the Canes.* In fact there is a picture of her holding the Stanley Cup with several of the players, hanging in her office.* The cup spent a whole day in her clinic.

So a good Doc and good rehab will make all of the difference in the world.

Hope she has good luck with it.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #48

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

Don.

I did the rehab, same as if I had surgery, it was affective. The Doc told me up front that you need to work hard at it ot it will not be effective. My friend did the surgery route. Very uncomfortable. I am fully mobile and pain free.

It is a royal pain for sure. Good luck.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Headed South for Winter?

Don any new adventures?* i need to check your blog for updates / photos.* How's Lou's shoulder?

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Friday 23rd of December 2011 12:06:26 PM
Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Don any new adventures?* i need to check your blog for updates / photos.* How's Lou's shoulder?

-- Edited by Pineapple Girl on Friday 23rd of December 2011 12:06:26 PM
*Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for asking. *The rehab and healing is a very slow process. *Lou will start rehab in about 3 weeks. *Then it is 3 times a week for 6 weeks. *We are just hoping that she will be up for the planned Bahama Trip in May.

If you have read the blog of our Boca Grande to Chesapeake or Chesapeake to Hilton Head you have seen our great friends, Bill and Jan Evans. *Bill just passed away, and my son David and I are going down to Florida for his memorial service. *Bill was more like a brother than a friend. *He had a boat for years and years. *When his stability problems got so that he could not operate it well, we put them on the boat with us. *One of the things we were able to do for him was the complete ICW. *He had wanted to do that, and we got it done. *Both Lou and I will miss him.

While we are down, I promised David to get in some Gulf Stream fishng. *So the fishing gear is going down. *There should be some good pictures of the water in the stream. *The only update to the blog is the trip south.

The grandkids are trying to figure a time that all four can get off to meet us in the Bahamas again. *They are getting very busy as they grow up. *One doesn't want to go unless all four do. *They have more fun than should be allowed.

It is time for you to start cruising that beautiful boat. *You guys near the Delta seem to be having a really good time

.Best to you and yours for the Christmas Season and New Years.

Don
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Don I am so sorry to hear about your friend Bill.* but glad he got to finish the ICW with you.* You are a true friend to make that happen for him.

I wish Lou a speedy recovery.*

Those grandkids need to pick some days and clear their calendars!* How lucky they are grandpa will have his boat in the Bahamas and they get to visit!* What adventures.

We are taking the boat to the City (aka San Francisco) for new years and also have a few short cruised planned before we head back to the delta at the end of April. We are trying to plan several long weekends to explore different places up there.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #52
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Don - So sorry to hear about your friend.*

(Great pictures of Ft Peirce!*)
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote