Harbour chat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hitler thought England would be a pushover and the turning point in WW2 came after the battle of Britain gave the Spitfire air supremacy over England. Hitler meanwhile made the classic mistake of opening another battlefront with Russia.
With the Allies gaining ground on the material and logistics front preparations were made to invade Europe and put an end to the Nazi regime.
Hitler was convinced any seaborne attack would come in the Calais region of France because it was the closest crossing point.
The allies encouraged this myth by deception, fields of inflatable tanks, armoured cars and trucks were placed all over the East of the country.
A deceased person with a remarkable likeness to a well known (to the Germans) British general was found and his body kept in dry ice until it was needed, at the appropriate moment the body was dressed in a British Generals uniform and false top secret papers were placed on his body addressed to the Allied HQ in Cairo.
After studying the offshore currents of the coast of Portugal the body was released from a submarine knowing it would be swept onto the Portuguese coast and be discovered.

At the time of the body's release an aircraft going over the Portuguese coastal horizon gave the impression it was going to crash using engine noise, as it reached sea level it released a flash bomb to give the impression of crashing into the sea, instead it headed out to sea at sea level until well offshore and then continued its journey back up to normal cruising height.
The Germans were not long to pick up the rumours and paid the Portuguese fishermen well to 'repatriate' the body of fallen enemy soldier for burial and his belongings. In fact his body is buried just outside Lisbon, Portugal.

The German spies from the embassy took the bait and passed it back to German High Command who also were convinced the attack would come in the Calais region and reinforced the troop stationed in that area as a result.

After losing the African campaign because he quire simply ran out of petrol, Rommel was put in charge of the defences in the Normandy region of France.
Being a wily tactical General he beefed up defences in the region with minefield, caltrops and kilometres of barbed wire and heavy guns.
To frustrate any airborne landings he ordered all the low lying land to be flooded.

Plans for the greatest amphibious assault the world has ever know began 18 months before the actual 6th of June D day. Marine maps that could be of any use studied in intricate detail.
Secret agents were sent to search out information from the French resistance.
Submarines would approach the coast at night and engineers and special forces would exit the subs to clear paths through the minefields on the beaches. Soil/sand samples were taken to find the best routes ashore for men and vehicles, the engineers and SF forces were taken back on board the subs before first light for a well earned hot meal.
All this carried out over months in secret in the dead of night.
During a practice run for D day an exercise was held at Slapton sands, it was a disaster and many men lost their lives without ever setting foot in France.

Photo's.
1, Commemoration plaque for those who lost their life on 'Operation Tiger'.

2, Orientation map showing Calais to the North East and the Cherbourg peninsular to the South West.

3,4, Beach names and nationality of the troops allocated to each beach.

Attachments

• DSC00126.jpg
    DSC00126.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 45
  • English channel & France.jpg
    English channel & France.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 48
  • D day Beaches.PNG
    D day Beaches.PNG
    124.3 KB · Views: 229
  • More D day.jpg
    More D day.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
A deceased person with a remarkable likeness to a British general was found and his body kept in dry ice until it was needed, at the appropriate moment the body was dressed in a British Generals uniform and false top secret papers were placed on his body addressed to the Allied HQ in Cairo.
After studying the offshore currents of the coast of Portugal the body was released from a submarine knowing it would be swept to the Portuguese coast and be discovered.
At the time of the body's release an aircraft just over the Portuguese coast gave the impression it was going to crash using engine noise, as it reached sea level it released a flash bomb to give the impression of crash into the sea, instead it headed out to sea at sea level until well offshore and then continued its journey.
The Germans were not long to pick up the rumours and paid the Portuguese fishermen well to 'repatriate' the fallen soldier.
They took the bait and passed it to German High Command who also were convinced the attack would come in the Calais region and reinforced the troops in that area as a result. ...

I believe the ruse was part of the Allies' deception regarding the Sicilian invasion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat

Last edited:
I can't comment on that Mark as it wasn't relevant to the D day landings so I didn't research it, if an idea works well once then why not !

Regarding the last comments about the body used to deceive the Germans about D day landings, one of the team that organised it was none other than Ian Fleming, who later created the '007 Bond' books.

How many of you have ever heard of John Steele ?

C'mon now own up.

After leaving the cruise ferry in Cherbourg port (which docks just opposite France's nuclear sub builder) we travelled to a small town called St Mere Eglise.
You can get more information on Germany's submarine Wolf Packs in my book 'The Wolfs Lair by Geoff Woolley from Amazon, (if you would please leave a 5* rating I would be very grateful).
If you followed my advice and watched the '60's British film 'The Longest Day' then you'll be familiar with it.

For those who didn't I'll show you around.

During the early hours of the 6th of June American paratroopers were dropped inland to try and prevent German re-enforcements reaching the beaches nearby and putting the landings in jeopardy.
Many of the parachutists landed in the Plane trees that line the roads here and as one unfortunate guy, pfc John Steele landed his parachute got caught on the church spire (actually it was on the other side of the church) during the early hours he kept schtum, but as daylight emerged he was shot at, fortunately the advancing troops pushed the Germans back and he was able to call out for help.
He survived the war. After the war his parachute and the effigy representing him were moved facing the square as it is today for all to see.

Photo's.
1, Self explanatory.

2,3,9. Everyone cashes in on D day.

4,5, 6 This store sells Militaria, some of it genuine and much of it copies, if you search carefully you may pick up a bargain, the owners knows he has the goods and you have the money, so be prepared to gently haggle a bit and give in gracefully. It won't be cheap.
I picked up a British Sykes Fairbairn Commando knife but because it wasn't American equipment I caught him on a good day.
He wouldn't let me use the camera inside so these 2 shots are through his window.

7, Scary looking American.

8, The famous Sherman tank, it was outgunned by the German Tiger but because it was numerically superior when they set about a Tiger they were like a pack of dogs on a Wolf.

10, Here's the man himself. Pfc John Steele.

Attachments

• DSC00069.jpg
    DSC00069.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00072.jpg
    DSC00072.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00074.jpg
    DSC00074.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00075.jpg
    DSC00075.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00077.jpg
    DSC00077.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00083.jpg
    DSC00083.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00085.jpg
    DSC00085.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00079.jpg
    DSC00079.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00080.jpg
    DSC00080.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
A further look around St Mere Eglise.

Photo's are self explanatory. The artillery piece and the deuce and a half are in the Airborne Museum just 600 feet from the church.
In summer this place is packed with tourists and regular parades of 'Old Sweats'.

Attachments

• DSC00088.jpg
    DSC00088.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00086.jpg
    DSC00086.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00087.jpg
    DSC00087.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00090.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00093.jpg
    DSC00093.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00102.jpg
    DSC00102.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00106.jpg
    DSC00106.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00098.jpg
    DSC00098.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Here's the last few self explanatory photo's for you.

The last photo deserves a special mention though.
This is probably the worlds first folding motorcycle, a British invention and manufactured by the British motor cycle manufacturer BSA, it was designed to be folded down and fit inside a parachute container.
With a range of 200 miles on a full tank of fuel it allowed the paratroopers to dash forward and capture ground from the enemy before they had time to react.
BSA (British Small Arms) originally made rifles and despatch riders bikes in the 1st WW and continued in business, up to and during the 2nd WW with arms and despatch riders/paratroopers motorcycles.
After the war they concentrated more on motor cycles.
I owned a 1949 maroon BSA 2 stroke Bantam with hand change gears, followed by a Rocket 500 and a Gold Star 650 beautiful bikes of their era and very popular, sadly the invasion of Japanese motor bikes brought the motor cycle manufacture in Britain virtually to an end.
BSA are still in business making rifles etc.

The BSA name lives on and the motor bike remains largely unchanged, they're enjoying a renaissance again being built in India and proving to be popular there.

BSA still manufacture rifles and other arms.

Attachments

• DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00110.jpg
    DSC00110.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00111.jpg
    DSC00111.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00112.jpg
    DSC00112.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00113.jpg
    DSC00113.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Slightly off piste because it relates as much to WW1 as anything, tomorrow is ANZAC Day (read Veterans Day) in Australia.
Last year we visited the Australian War Graves and Memorial at Villers-Brettoneux in Northern France,where a memorial service will be held. As well as at Gallipoli in Turkey where the ANZAC tradition began. There are a considerable number of Canadian graves at the Memorial, and Canadian visitors too. Between "us",we saved the town from the Germans. The town has many small memorials to the visiting troops, and the population welcomes Aussie and Canadian visitors.

Thanks Bruce, I do know, my sons a Group Captain in the AAF,
Menin gate parade and the names on the walls are shown in my book 'Windmills and Wine' and the Australian War memorial in Canberra in the 'Paddy's Flyin' post here on TF.
If we are in the area we always visit to pay our respects but of course not everything is shown on here.

Thanks for sharing the above and BTW I have the book in cart

Thank you siestakey.
Apologies for the price of the books but with lots of photo's it pushes up the printing costs.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did doing it and would appreciate a 5* review.

Thank you siestakey.
Apologies for the price of the books but with lots of photo's it pushes up the printing costs.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did doing it and would appreciate a 5* review.

I am sure I will thanks the only option it gave me was to purchase on Kindle just bought it

Going from West to East the first of the D day beaches is JUNO. This was alloted to the Canadian army.
Altogether 1.1 million Canadians served in WW2, 44,042 lost their lives and 54,414 were injured.
The Canadian navy provided 109 ships and 10,000 sailors took part.
The army consisted of the 3rd Canadian division led by the 7 &8th brigades along with the 6 &10 armoured brigades.
The beach itself fronts 3 small villages Courseulles sur Mer, Bernieres and St Aubin.
The objective for them was to capture the small villages but more importantly make a 10 mile dash to cut, and secure, the Caen-Bayeaux highway to prevent German reinforcements arriving while the beach head was being secured.
They also had to seize the nearby Capriquet airport by which they could be resupplied.
Having completed those tasks they were also to form a link with the British beachheads Sword and Gold.
The 3rd division progressed further than any other allies in the first 6 days.

On D day 1,017 Canadian soldiers lost their life, altogether there are 5,400 Canadians buried in Normandy.

Photo's.
1,5, All the roads around here are named in honour of fallen soldiers.

2, Concrete bunker, these formed part of the Atlantic wall fortifications which stretched from Norway all the way down to the Spanish coast. They were built by the Todt organisation with local labour and prisoners of war.

3,A peaceful beach scene, a far cry from the 6th of June landings.

4,These are called 'Caltrops' anti tank/vehicle, when laid in dense rows 4/5 deep they made a formidable barrier leaving the attackers exposed to machine gun/mortar/artillery fire.

The British used these extensively in the Napoleonic wars, they were much smaller, roughly 3 inches high with sharpened points and when the smaller British forces came under cavalry attack the Caltrops were scattered freely on the approach roads causing the horses to be crippled, as the French cavalry weren't infantry trained the British were able to defeat them.

Attachments

• DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00117.jpg
    DSC00117.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00118.jpg
    DSC00118.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00121.jpg
    DSC00121.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC00146.jpg
    DSC00146.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
IR,we were in Luxembourg last year and visited the Museum at Clervaux. We stayed nearby at a chateau which had been renovated into a not overpriced hotel. Lots of interesting exhibits, from simple equipment relics to the actual US tank which held attackers at bay during a WW2 firefight. Luxembourg tends to be overlooked, it`s like France but less snooty, less expensive, less developed.

We passed into Luxembourg to top up with cheap diesel, those pumps marked on the map were non-existent and the girls found shopping for groceries nearly twice the price in France..
We retraced our steps and turned up the Saone to visit the Arzvillier inclined plane in France. there's loads of stuff lying around as the Yanks just dumped it.

As we move on the next beach we yet another museum called 'Operation Overlord Museum'. (To visit every museum around here and another one in Caen would take 2 weeks).

Photo's.
1, 2 The ubiquitous 'Bailey Bridge'.

3,4, Self explanatory.

5, The recovery tank is shown in photo on the 'Bailey Bridge'.

Attachments

• DSC00206.jpg
    DSC00206.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00203.jpg
    DSC00203.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00199.jpg
    DSC00199.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00197.jpg
    DSC00197.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00201.jpg
    DSC00201.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It may be an unsavoury thought but when armies go to war they must also take care of those who gave their lives with as much care and dignity as possible.
The planners of D day identified an ideal piece of ground just behind Omaha beach and the American government approached the French to buy it and make it sovereign ground. The French could hardly refuse.
Omaha military cemetery is one of the biggest tourist attractions in this area and draws visitors from all over the world arriving by the bus load and cars from all over Europe can be seen here.

Photo's.
1, Looking out over Omaha beach from the cemetery.

2, From another angle, the gully below was a Godsend to the soldiers
as the machine guns couldn't depress low enough and the Germans had failed to sight one at the top.

3,4,5,6,7,8, Self explanatory.

9, This will give some idea of the complexity of the planning for D day, and no computers, pure human genius.

Attachments

• DSC00208.jpg
    DSC00208.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00209.jpg
    DSC00209.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00211.jpg
    DSC00211.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00221.jpg
    DSC00221.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00223.jpg
    DSC00223.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC00225.jpg
    DSC00225.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00216.jpg
    DSC00216.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00207.jpg
    DSC00207.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Omaha beach continued.
During the 1st wave assault there were 50% casualties and by mid morning it had risen to more than a thousand.
Communications were virtually non existent (that sound familiar to any of you who have served in combat ?) which made proper management impossible, costing more lives to be lost.
The Germans of course had years to establish themselves and their strategy was to stop any invasion at the waterline and all their defences were centred on that thinking.

On the Eastern side of the 5 mile long beach were 150 foot cliffs (called Ponte du Hoc). Very little of the landings went as planned during the landings, navigational errors caused many landing craft to miss their targets throughout the day.
Meanwhile the assault engineers working under heavy fire cleared beach obstacles and troops bunched up around the few clear channels making them an easy target for the German gunners.
Small penetrations in the defences were made eventually by scaling the cliffs (Pont du Hoc) and by the end of the day two small footholds had been established, these were subsequently exploited over the next few days until the original objective was reached at a tremendous cost.

Archive photo's.

Attachments

• Beaches.jpg
    Beaches.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Landings.jpg
    Landings.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 32
  • LCT.jpg
    LCT.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I am sure I will thanks the only option it gave me was to purchase on Kindle just bought it

If you want to see color pictures on a kindle book, use your PC, laptop, or tablet, and not the kindle reader device. They have fairly low resolution, monochrome displays, but do have long battery life in exchange.

I prefer kindle books because the publishing costs are far lower, and if there is a correction, when the author makes the correction and uploads it back to KDP, amazon will push out the updates to anyone who purchased the kindle version of the book. That would never happen in printed media.

Hi, everyone.
This has been a constant problem for us with Amazon.
I presume you've tried Amazon.com and Amazon.au or us ?
Despite us complaining when anyone mentions they can't buy a book, they say 'We've had no complaints' and think I'm trying to lever some free marketing.
Most people look for a book, can't find it and then they move on, a lost sale.

We chose to self publish with them because they offered a worldwide choice of Kindle or paperback for the buyer.
The paperbacks were designed with the thought that most people choosing the cruising lifestyle would probably be 40 plus, and many people wear glasses later in life.
The type face was chosen to be easily read by a cabin light and the photo's large enough to see details clearly in all photo's of a particular point.

The theory behind the books was to be a travel companion for other like minded people from all over the world and offer encouragement to potential boaters and waterborne tourists.
As you're aware from reading these blogs & kindle's there's a lot of research, time, and cost involved and unless we can get Amazon to change its mind we'll have to evaluate any future e books and paperbacks.
We enjoy it, but to go as a full blown author with agents, stocklists and distribution by the time we've written it, and re-written it because some non boating publisher doesn't understand it (its happened) its taken over my life and simply not worth devoting so much for little or no return.
I hope you can understand my viewpoint.
Thank you.

Next up Ponte du Hoc.

Last edited:
The best way to describe Pointe du Hoc is with photo's so here goes. They're self explanatory.

Attachments

• DSC00170.jpg
    DSC00170.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00156.jpg
    DSC00156.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00157.jpg
    DSC00157.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00155.jpg
    DSC00155.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00154.jpg
    DSC00154.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00169.jpg
    DSC00169.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00166.jpg
    DSC00166.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00163.jpg
    DSC00163.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00175.jpg
    DSC00175.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 31
The next beach landing was 'Gold' which was allocated to the British.
There are museums here but not as prolific and a bit over shadowed by artificial port 'Winston Churchill' at Arromanches which is part of the same beach designated 'Gold'.

On our way to visit 'Gold' beach we passed this private museum.

Photo's.
1, Prefabricated lookout post has received the good news.

2,The ubiquitous Willy's Jeep.

3,4, old artillery pieces.

5.2 Old LCT's.

6. Anti-aircraft searchlight.

Attachments

• DSC00185.jpg
    DSC00185.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00186.jpg
    DSC00186.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00187.jpg
    DSC00187.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00190.jpg
    DSC00190.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00191.jpg
    DSC00191.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hitler was determined that the Allies would attack across the channel in the Calais area further West in order to secure working seaports.
The Allies decided to attack the Cherbourg peninsular and take their own.
Anyone who's read the blog on here 'Ireland to the Mediterranean Part 1' will be familiar with Portland bill, Portland harbour and other ports along the English channel.
But first the British had to swiftly conquer the beach and move inland to clear the way and until the harbour was established fleets of LCT's worked 24/7 ferrying every single item the troops needed to keep them an effective attacking force.
The Mulberry harbours were built of concrete and fitted with chambers which could be flooded. Once the 'harbours' were complete they were towed over to Arromanches to form part of an artificial harbour and joined together by link spans to give the allies a much needed working 'port'.

It will become clearer with the photo's.

1, Archive photo of the port layout.

2,3, Link span road joining the Mulberry's.

4, You can see the thinking behind the logistical resupply using the Cherbourg peninsular.

Attachments

• 3, Mulberry.jpg
    3, Mulberry.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 1, Linkspan.jpg
    1, Linkspan.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2, Linkspan..jpg
    2, Linkspan..jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
  • English channel & France.jpg
    English channel & France.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Some more photo's of 'Gold' Arromanches beach.

Photo's.
1-5, Low tide here on Gold beach and the abandoned concrete caissons (mulberry's) still serve to remind people of their ingenuity.

6, Nearby explanation of the original British assault.

Attachments

• DSC00228.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00233.jpg
    DSC00233.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00235.jpg
    DSC00235.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00237.jpg
    DSC00237.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00253.jpg
    DSC00253.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Leaving Gold beach our next stop along here is at the 'Juno' beach which was allocated to the Canadian's.
Again there's very little to signify the human courage and sacrifices made here by the 946 Canadians who gave their all.
The 3rd Canadian Infantry Division left Portsmouth in ships with LCA's slung in the davits.
Larger LCT's had to follow under their own power.
Minesweepers cleared the way through the offshore mine fields on both sides of the channel.
Many men were seasick in the 2 metre high waves they had to endure for the duration of the crossing.

Photo's.
1, Sections of 'link span artificial roadway near the Juno memorial.

2,4, The gold on Marble is difficult to read.

3, Just caught this as we left Gold Beach for Juno.

5, This commemorates the Free Polish forces who lost their lives here helping the Canadians.

6, Another memorial near the beach.

7, Not many estate agents can boast of having a house on the books with a real pillbox in the garden.

8, Archive photo of Canadian troops leaving the beach area.

Today the sleepy little French town of Bernieres carries on with daily life, it's the quiet season now but soon the tourist buses and camping cars will block the roads full of tourists.
We spoke to one local when we stopped for coffee in a small bar and as a large bus went past we asked him if they annoyed him.
'Not at all' he said, 'if their fathers hadn't come here, they wouldn't be here'.

Attachments

• Juno.PNG
    Juno.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00239.jpg
    DSC00239.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00263.jpg
    DSC00263.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00261.jpg
    DSC00261.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00262.jpg
    DSC00262.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00266.jpg
    DSC00266.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00264.jpg
    DSC00264.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00271.jpg
    DSC00271.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Although there are bits of military hardware mounted on roundabouts or little parks there's not the feeling of a major beach assault as pretty little holiday towns line the coastal road.
Life moves on, D day is now far from the minds of the younger generations, in fact many don't even know what it was, neither can we live in the past forever but it would probably been nicer if things could have been co ordinated and grouped together in a park.
'Sword' beach was the British 3rd infantry division, although the beach landings initially had low casualties, the advance was slowed down due heavy military congestion caused by resistance in heavily defended areas behind the beach head.
Further progress was halted by the only armoured counter attack of the day by the 21st Panzer division.
Special tanks of the British 22nd Dragoons were ashore by 07.20 and immediately engaged the enemy while the engineers cleared obstacles and mines.

To the left of the British advance runs the Caen canal capable of carrying ships to Caen town port and the British were trying to link up with other commando's to try and seize control of road bridges over the canal to prevent counter attacks on all the beach heads and, once secure, provide logistical links for the allies.

One of a tank commanders fears are that in the initial stages he'll run out of ammo before resupply lines are established.

The planners came up the 'Porpoise'. This waterproof sledge fitted between the tank tracks and as the first tank reversed onto the LCT it towed a porpoise on with its front towing eyes. The second tank reversed on doing the same and its tracks straddled the first porpoise.
On discharge the porpoises were towed behind the tanks, in theory slid along behind the tank, once the tank needed ammo it simply stopped, removed the waterproofing and resupplied itself and then discarded the porpoise.
Many tank commanders found them difficult on tarmac roads and as quick as they were able, emptied and dumped them.

Photo's.
1,2,3,4 Showing 'Porpoise' plans, operation and exhibit.

5,6, These plaques commemorate an event when the assault was under way when an engineers tank came off the LCT and the driver saw a large puddle on his route, (it turned out to be a bomb crater over 14 feet deep).
The tank disappeared into the water, 4 crewmen lost the their lives, the driver and another crewman survived.

7, The driver with the engineers Colonel revisiting the site of the incident years later.

8, At the time of the accident the crewmen's bodies were removed from the sunken tank and a bridge built it over to allow the assault to continue.
Over time the tank was covered in sand, years later an engineering platoon returned and excavated the tank, it was transported to workshops for refurbishment before being returned here as you see it today.

9, The driver carried the memory of his crewmates demise and his wish was that his ashes be scattered here so that once more he's re united with his crew mates.

Attachments

• DSC00257.jpg
    DSC00257.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00258.jpg
    DSC00258.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00259.jpg
    DSC00259.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00260.jpg
    DSC00260.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00275.jpg
    DSC00275.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00281.jpg
    DSC00281.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00286.jpg
    DSC00286.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00279.jpg
    DSC00279.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00280.jpg
    DSC00280.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
If you want to see color pictures on a kindle book, use your PC, laptop, or tablet, and not the kindle reader device. They have fairly low resolution, monochrome displays, but do have long battery life in exchange.

I prefer kindle books because the publishing costs are far lower, and if there is a correction, when the author makes the correction and uploads it back to KDP, amazon will push out the updates to anyone who purchased the kindle version of the book. That would never happen in printed media.

Thanks I am using my Ipad. I am a bit into it not as far as I had hopped ( had a few deaths in the family very close together)

But I am enjoying thanks again stubones

Hi, everyone.
This has been a constant problem for us with Amazon.
I presume you've tried Amazon.com and Amazon.au or us ?
Despite us complaining when anyone mentions they can't buy a book, they say 'We've had no complaints' and think I'm trying to lever some free marketing.
Most people look for a book, can't find it and then they move on, a lost sale.

We chose to self publish with them because they offered a worldwide choice of Kindle or paperback for the buyer.
The paperbacks were designed with the thought that most people choosing the cruising lifestyle would probably be 40 plus, and many people wear glasses later in life.
The type face was chosen to be easily read by a cabin light and the photo's large enough to see details clearly in all photo's of a particular point.

The theory behind the books was to be a travel companion for other like minded people from all over the world and offer encouragement to potential boaters and waterborne tourists.
As you're aware from reading these blogs & kindle's there's a lot of research, time, and cost involved and unless we can get Amazon to change its mind we'll have to evaluate any future e books and paperbacks.
We enjoy it, but to go as a full blown author with agents, stocklists and distribution by the time we've written it, and re-written it because some non boating publisher doesn't understand it (its happened) its taken over my life and simply not worth devoting so much for little or no return.
I hope you can understand my viewpoint.
Thank you.

Next up Ponte du Hoc.

yes of course I understand as you know I bought the kindle book but would love the option to buy the actual book not just to own but to support you

carry on

Commiserations on your family recent bereavements Alan.

As an author on Amazon when I log in I get a similar but slightly different perspective than you would, which is the reason I can't see on Amazon why you can't purchase the paperbacks.
The only way would be to question Amazon yourself as to why they aren't available, which is an an imposition on a prospective buyer.
They keep assuring me that they are available which I know is not the case.
If anyone else were to question Amazon maybe they would sort it out.
Thank you for the support.

Back
Top Bottom