Green Turtle Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Not much of a voyage but we’ll be at GTB this Thursday through Sunday if anybody’s there on
The Loop , holler at us .

Not much of a voyage but we’ll be at GTB this Thursday through Sunday if anybody’s there on
The Loop , holler at us .

Hey Pack Mule,

I hope to wander in there perhaps Thurs or Fri, doing the Loop. Have a Mainship with a big yellow kayak on the top. I'll look for you.

That is my home port. We usually spend Thursday night and Friday night and go home Saturday evening. I am a Baptist Preacher so we go home on Saturday for Church. We live about 70 miles away. I will try to look y'all up. We are on pier 8.

They have a webcam set up at the marina you can see the amount of loopers arriving this time of year .

Last edited:
Pack Mule,

We're hear, got in Fri around 6, docked way at the end of no 5 dock? Not sure, but there very first dock you come to when coming in. Will be hear thru Sun morning.

Heading to Paris Landings, prob your home port, on Sun.

Man we are having the best time here . This place is packed . They had to squeeze us in on the sailboat dock but it’s been the perfect place to check out boats .So far we’ve seen a few Mainship 40’s , Independence 45 ,Selene 43 and 47 I think , Nordhavn 40 , a beautiful Fleming 55 I think , 2 Great Harbor 47 and a bunch of others that I can’t identify.

Is GTB open all winter?

Yep they are open year round. We spent a year there before heading off on the Loop. They do shut off the water in the winter but there is a connection on shore and with enough hoses you can fill your tanks anytime (we were on pier 5 but I assume all docks have one). The winter we were there we never saw more than a light ice layer on the water.

We plan to move the boat back there next summer and do more inland river cruising.

Hi Pack Mule, I looked on the end of Pier 5 for you this morning and could not find you but I see from your recent post you were on the sail boat pier. Sorry I missed you, maybe another time. We are back at home in Greenville KY now. I hope your trip has been good. Charlie

Fleming just past us .

Attachments

• 288A4E39-7C77-4F59-B9EC-88A5E3003B4B.jpg
    288A4E39-7C77-4F59-B9EC-88A5E3003B4B.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 105
Hi Marty,

That Fleming is Ashland, owned by a really nice guy who lives just south of me in FL. He came out about the same time as I did, but I had to check out the Rock Quarry to see if any girls there couldn’t afford clothes.

Now your stuck with me behind you for a few more miles.

Really enjoyed meeting you and your wife at GReen Turtke. And the teak on your boat is top drawer!

Larry we enjoyed it also . It’s nice to hear about the loop first hand . Maybe we’ll get a chance to talk some more before you head off again . Thanks for taking time out to visit. We had a blast at GTB.I se you decided to come on in the the marina this afternoon. We are at the house now but we are in the covered dock almost directly behind you between two houseboats .

Last edited:
Larry we enjoyed it also . It’s nice to hear about the loop first hand . Maybe we’ll get a chance to talk some more before you head off again . Thanks for taking time out to visit. We had a blast at GTB.I se you decided to come on in the the marina this afternoon. We are at the house now but we are in the covered dock almost directly behind you between two houseboats .

Yea, the anchorage was absolutely great but zero internet, which we had all the way down the lake. Carol wanted to do some internet stuff so we wandered over. Will be here for a few days, perhaps we can catch up again.

It was a bit snotty heading to GTB but great weather the rest of the trip .

Attachments

• EF4295DA-E4FE-43F9-AE9F-5C46AD5325A4.jpg
    EF4295DA-E4FE-43F9-AE9F-5C46AD5325A4.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 85
  • A53E3AE8-FBFF-4AE2-8434-97E05DEC0763.jpg
    A53E3AE8-FBFF-4AE2-8434-97E05DEC0763.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1D738C19-414F-47D5-81CE-47D0A269C187.jpg
    1D738C19-414F-47D5-81CE-47D0A269C187.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 87
Preacher

That is my home port. We usually spend Thursday night and Friday night and go home Saturday evening. I am a Baptist Preacher so we go home on Saturday for Church. We live about 70 miles away. I will try to look y'all up. We are on pier 8.

Hey Preach!
Not sure what 70 miles looks like from Grand Rivers ….. maybe Mad'ville? My brother is the pastor @ Cowboy church which meets at the KY OPRY in Draffenville.

My wife and I live in the Paducah area. I taught school at GR Elem before the county consolidated it's elem schools. We plan on coming over and looking at three different boats. Water vs land is looking better every day!

Bear :whistling:

We just pulled in with a bunch of loopers for a quick overnight stop. Glad to be out of the strong currents on the Mississippi and Ohio. :eek:

Good evening Bearman, 70 miles East from here puts me in Greenville Ky. Being that close makes it so we can come often even during the week if we just want to sit on the aft deck and watch the sun set. We can be home in an hour and fifteen minutes. We are on the boat right now, going home tomorrow evening. We will be down next week most of the week if you are down this way look us up. The are getting boats lined up near the sales dock for the boat show.

Looks like I missed everyone by a few days.
But there are a lot of loopers here. More than we have seen in one place while doing the loop. Some that we have been leap frogging with and others we’re meeting for the first time.
Green Turtle Bay is a very nice place and it looks like we’ll be here for a few more days.

We just pulled in with a bunch of loopers for a quick overnight stop. Glad to be out of the strong currents on the Mississippi and Ohio. :eek:
Let us know if Paris Landing is a planned stop. We would love to get together. We’re getting some loopers as well .

I’ve only been on the Mississippi for about a mile or so when I went through Nola, and holy crap that current. We were going against the current, and the river was way up from recent big rains with full size trees floating towards me at times. IIRC I could only make about 2-3 knots against it. Stressful as hell.

I assume most folks cruise WITH the current on the Mississippi River?

I’ve only been on the Mississippi for about a mile or so when I went through Nola, and holy crap that current. We were going against the current, and the river was way up from recent big rains with full size trees floating towards me at times. IIRC I could only make about 2-3 knots against it. Stressful as hell.

I assume most folks cruise WITH the current on the Mississippi River?

Yeah, the currents were amazing. I grew up boating on the Ohio with my dad and had forgotten how strong those currents can be. The unbound tows were really pushing hard against the flow, putting up mountainous wakes. These don’t do the conditions justice.

Attachments

• 09B8257A-99B5-47B1-B379-AFC958810B05.jpg
    09B8257A-99B5-47B1-B379-AFC958810B05.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 97F53685-533A-44CA-924B-DC18CA01ECC6.jpg
    97F53685-533A-44CA-924B-DC18CA01ECC6.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 73
“Upbound” tows.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom