Old 05-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Fort Meyers to Houston

Hey all, been sick and had to replace an injector pump in Brunswick Ga. so time has won. We are now in Fort Meyers trying to plan the crossing and was hoping someone was close doing the same thing. We made it through the Okeechobee from St Lucie To Franklins lock in 14 hrs with an average of 9.9 knts. Not bad for a 1974 Defever. We haven't had a chance to keep everyone updated due to me being alone, but my son has came aboard and we are heading home as fast as this old girl can get us there. I would feel much better making the big bend crossing with another boat. The weather has been so good its scary. last week in daytona till now it has been ideal crusing nothing over 15 knts of wind. Night before last we were in the Okeechobee when a thunder cell hit us for 2 hrs that spawned 3 tornadoes.

We are gonna hop up the coast till jump time for big bend. if anyone is between Fort Meyers and Tampa and we can meet up we will have a big pot of shrimp and crab gumbo that would put this flordia stuff to shame.

So anybody that reads this and is in the area holler back.

Mike
M&M's Delite
reissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Can't help you with company-but if your not in a hurry and are around Vermillion Bay and want to relax a bit, come by my camp at the point. Will be at TMCA Spring Fest May 26-31.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Mike, we have just docked in Pensacola. Did the big bend thing, anchored out at Three Rookers island at Tarpon Spring, then ran down to Steinhatchee and across to Dog Island.

While at the Sea Hag marina, several boats stopped in to wait on the weather and it will be easy to hook up with someone (and it's a great place to wait)

We will be taking a 5 - 7 day break here before running to Texas. Keep us informed of your progress and maybe we can tag along.

Stay safe! Oh and join us all at the Spring Fling!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank yall we on our way

Well ya answered most of my questions and now we are.heading up the coast. Thank you dimer we were wondering about up in the sea hag area. We draw 4'8" and that area looks like its a 5' max area. What was the sea lane depth? There is a storm coming from New Orleans that looks like it packing a wallop. My wife in Houston got 9 " of rain yesterday and some high winds. We will stay up to date on where we are at and might hollar back at cha soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Mike, you would have to play the tides for sure. We left an hour short of high and never saw less than 7 ft. However, it is a shallow area and rock bottom in places so it would be your call (that's legalese for don't blame me )
Old 05-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We made blackburn bay on the north of Venice. We are on the hook and fixing a birthday brownie.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
making good time-weather finally letting up
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A couple more hops and I will have to watch for you in my rearview mirror!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

storm bite us

Hung the hook in blackburn bay. Tore the winch loose from the foredeck, easily repaired. We were 200 yards from 10 million in boats and docks so I notified the CG to our location and the conditions. We have 3/8 chain and we wanted to take in as much as we could and cut the anchor. Wind 25 knt bay chop 4-5 ft, big bay, big chop. Tow boat said to bad to respond, boat us same. Coast guard said they could not respond due to conditions. Can't hack saw harden 3/8 in a blow. The hang saved us, if the hook would have let go my insurance would go up and new boats and docks would have dotted the area. Idled the engines to maintain control and worked all night. North wind took the water and now we had inches between the swells but an hour after first light we broke the anchor and beelined to Cortez where we are enjoying a rest day. So tomorrow the last hop and we will be setup for the jump.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Sorry to hear about your ordeal! I blew the seals out of my water pump today but made it into Gulfport Ms. I booked in for a week to effect repairs and the Harvey lock is down until the 13th, This unsettled weather is kinds ruling the Venice/offshore route out.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Dunedin and then open water

We are.here in dunedin and enjoying a rest. The weather looks good but we need to make a few things ready so a few r&r days are in store.
We hope dimer2 a great stay in Miss. Glad ya made it before the water pump sprung a leak. Lots of good food where your at so enjoy some for us. I'm not throwing a rock but the food isn't as exciting as the scenery here in Florida. Now I know it's good, but there is no place like home. When we make it back and can get away from the waterway I know there will be some outstanding food.
Ddalme let me appaligize as I using my phone and missed your post. As a coonass I can guar on tee we'll hollar at cha. We have fished the bay many time over the years and love the people and the area. And the food is some of the finest there is.
Oh one last thing every boat in Florida was out today and loaded with Moms. Hope all the ladies had a great day.

Peace
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

How about an update? We made Houma this evening!
Old 05-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well that's a great place to be. We are at rookers reading for the jump. Washing machine this morning after the front but the wind is moving north so tomorrow or monday. We laid back relaxing, fix the winch and did some updates while we felt frisky. My son has fished everyday and we have depleted all the corm meal and flour. Have enjoyed these waters and will miss them. Just found the marina at the state part and will be resting there next year for a couple weeks. Hope Houma met ya'll with open arms, have quite a few friends from that general area. Always a good stop. Were all the locks up and running? Heard New Orleans had a problem or two but that could be old news. Front heading your way, rain anyway. My wife in Houston remarked about it today. We will be that way next week chipping away.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

No, the Harvey lock is not open. Latest due date is the 23rd but subject to change. We went through Algiers which, while straight forward, took several hours. We were at the industrial lock by 06:00 and finally locked out of Algiers at 11:30. Friends have been through after only waiting 20 minutes, so I guess it varies.

Remember there are curfews on the bridges during the week (but not on weekends) so plan accordingly. Bienvenue is a good anchorage, just prior to locking through. Rabbit Island makes it impossible to make Houma in one day (in my boat).

Stay safe!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #15

City: PASCAGOULA , MS
Mike , we will be doin the hop on or about the 24th.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote