Follow me, Left marathon for Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm enjoying this trip up the river. I've only had my boat in saltwater and I don't think it has ever been in freshwater before. I see the meandering and the actual miles you are going vs the distance as the crow flies and up stream as well. Thanks for sharing.

Dave, you have some really snotty weather coming this way from Wed thru Sat. You may want to find a nice place to hold up down stream from Chat!

This will be lock three today I think I'll make it four. My friends in the 70 Hatteras are waiting ahead of us. This is the Amory lock.

Attachments

• image-3811241018.jpg
    image-3811241018.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-3491696213.jpg
    image-3491696213.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 103
I was planning on making yellow creek tomorrow. Then heading east. I'd like to be somewhere four fireworks. Any suggestions.

I'm enjoying this trip up the river. I've only had my boat in saltwater and I don't think it has ever been in freshwater before. I see the meandering and the actual miles you are going vs the distance as the crow flies and up stream as well. Thanks for sharing.

Ya have ta get her up there a long ways ta find swimming water it's been dirty water so far. It looks fine but I hear tell its not to good for swimming. Although I think where iam now is much better, I did see kids skiing today. It is very nice and peaceful. I have no regrets so far. I can't wait for the Tennessee and the clear water.

I'm in a section now where there are 7 locks in 70 miles. You can get caught up in bardge traffic and spend alot of time waiting. When its such a short distance you don't have time to get far enough ahead of them for the lock to go up and back down for them So they make you wait for him to come up then go up and back down. And by then another one could be in range and you can get bumped again. I think this is w hats going to happen now.

I'm in a section now where there are 7 locks in 70 miles. You can get caught up in bardge traffic and spend alot of time waiting. When its such a short distance you don't have time to get far enough ahead of them for the lock to go up and back down for them So they make you wait for him to come up then go up and back down. And by then another one could be in range and you can get bumped again. I think this is w hats going to happen now.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's the journey, not the destination.

David

Moonstruck correct re Florence. Our boat at Florence Harbor, and I can check with our Harbor Master re availability if you would like. I know 125' houseboat coming in, which takes 3 of the transit docks for accommodation, uses 3 50 amp plugs. Big festival and great fireworks, but crowed like all free 4th events.

Might consider watching fireworks, locking thru Wilson only 1 mile away, and dropping hook in Wilson, much quieter.

PM if can help or like more info.

David

Moonstruck correct re Florence. Our boat at Florence Harbor, and I can check with our Harbor Master re availability if you would like. I know 125' houseboat coming in, which takes 3 of the transit docks for accommodation, uses 3 50 amp plugs. Big festival and great fireworks, but crowed like all free 4th events.

Might consider watching fireworks, locking thru Wilson only 1 mile away, and dropping hook in Wilson, much quieter.

PM if can help or like more info.

Maybe you can dinghy him onshore for the festivities?

The second picture is the same but 32ft up.

Attachments

• image-3271531623.jpg
    image-3271531623.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-820350272.jpg
    image-820350272.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image-165838815.jpg
    image-165838815.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 93
And what a site when you go threw the doors at Wilkins lock. Breath taking

Attachments

• image-1521642764.jpg
    image-1521642764.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 93
Wow. Hatteras in front?

I always enjoy following someone who knows!

Last edited:
Unfortunately will not be at boat. Grandchildren can't swim, and adult party. Trust me, I ' m sad. But we will be at our house on Wilson and get him by ski boat if he would like some AL BBQ pork, ribs, chicken, etc.

Can go help lock thru Wilson, etc.

110' x600' x 94'. Big hole.

It's 10 and I'm not sure who's up at this hour but I'm up at sunrise so its nitey nite for me. We are at midway marina Tomorrow is two more locks and one is 90 ft plus we will be traveling the ditch as they call it. And I did pick up crew so I'm not crewless anymore The locks weren't that bad. The lock masters that I've encountered so far have been great. I don't think it matters if you go up 4ft or 90 if you got bumpers out and ya tie off snug to the wall it's pretty simple. These floating ballads are simple compared to the old ones they use in Pittsburgh.

Attachments

• image-3716903163.jpg
    image-3716903163.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 83
It's only 8:00 PM here.......like to see some photos of these floating ballards, never been thru a lock and would like to see how you tie off. Have really enjoyed your trip, be safe and have fun. Thanks.

This is rankin lock a small one. Next lock 6 miles then the third one is a 90 ft lift

Attachments

• image-974822441.jpg
    image-974822441.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1514348454.jpg
    image-1514348454.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1794037668.jpg
    image-1794037668.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2325404600.jpg
    image-2325404600.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 85
Outta the Rankin lock. I got my log scout in front of me. I just blew a fresh water pump apart. I hope I can get another one this evening. The drive motor came off the pump striped four screws. And if Mrs Dom is viewing Hap Hap Happy Birthday. My cell service is broken up.

Opps forgot picture

Attachments

• image-985111809.jpg
    image-985111809.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 85
We go through the locks a lot. What I made is a pice of rubber hose, four feet long with a line through it and tie the hose in to a loop with the extra line of about five feet leftover. You just put the hoop over the pin and pull hard to tie the line off on the center cleat. It beats playing cowboy when you lasso the pin, the loop just goes over the top.

I will get a picture this weekend. Its really just a rubber hose loop with a long tail:)

Last lock, the the "Cut" which is man made canal through hills that separate Tombigbee and TN River watershed, then clear water to to marinas right before junction with TN River, which is Pickwick Lake, turn right and 45 miles to Florence.

Back
Top Bottom