Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #81
Guru

City: Tellico lake, Tn
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Now to find a decent anchorage. Those two behind us were full of vagrants. Guess I might as well go to Tampa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2898869026.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	19503  

Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #82
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Now to find a decent anchorage. Guess I might as well go to Tampa
You'll have a ways to go for anything remotely better than the anchorage south of Cortez bridge.
Tampa Bay has some great marina's and restaurant but not a lot on the ICW north of Tampa Bay that are accessible by boat. Local knowledge is best here. There are some great places on the Manatee River and on Tampa Bay, but that is out of your way.

Check active captain. I think you just passed the best you're going to see for awhile.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #83
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
You'll have a ways to go for anything remotely better than the anchorage south of Cortez bridge.
Tampa Bay has some great marina's and restaurant but not a lot on the ICW north of Tampa Bay that are accessible by boat. Local knowledge is best here. There are some great places on the Manatee River and on Tampa Bay, but that is out of your way.

Check active captain. I think you just passed the best you're going to see for awhile.
David, you don't want to try that funky entrance from the Bay to the Manatee River this time of evening. It is tricky at best.

Probably your next decent anchorage is Bimini Bay on your port side. Go into the narrow entrance. Watch shoaling at Marker 11. Rotten Ralphs Restaurant at Gallati Yacht Sales Marina is much better than it sounds. you can dinghy over. You have just run out of any normal anchorages.

I have been in and out of Bimini Bay many times. Just watch your water depth. Gallati takes 60 footers in there regularly.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #84
Guru

That's it for today. Manatee river it is. I'm going ta bed while the admiral gets her chores done. I'm not sure about Tennessee, that water sure was nice today. Told the admiral she don't have to worry none about the lightning it'll hit them blow boats first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1798665744.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	19505   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1805388003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	19506   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-391286794.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	19508   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3556359540.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	19509  
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #85
Guru

Ft Myers to Tampa, not bad for a days run.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #86
Guru

A very good run. Especially negotiating the entrance to the Manatee Rive entrance at the late hour. Are you anchored near the big cross?

We were members of the Bradenton YC just up the river for several years. Many people have screwed up in that entrance.

You are doing some good piloting.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #87
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
This is a great thread for a newbie to read. Hope y'all help me when I'm out flailing around. Gotta get a boat first of course!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
A very good run. Especially negotiating the entrance to the Manatee Rive entrance at the late hour. Are you anchored near the big cross?

We were members of the Bradenton YC just up the river for several years. Many people have screwed up in that entrance.

You are doing some good piloting.
I agree, especially for a new guy.

He's in a great location. The locals call it Desoto Point and it's where I believe a Spanish Explorer first came ashore on the West coast of FL. Desoto?? I believe the cross memorializes that event. Maybe he'll have time to visit the park that's within walking distance of where he anchored.

Reading this thread has made me envious, my boat has been down for 3 months with engine problems. I've got a handle on it and am waiting for new props. Should be good to go within a month.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
This is a great thread for a newbie to read. Hope y'all help me when I'm out flailing around. Gotta get a boat first of course!
You bet, where are you from?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #90
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:

You bet, where are you from?
Victoria TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #91
Guru

Well the admiral got some crazy idea that if the captain doesn't start the engines he should start the coffee. Huh. Man times sure ain't what they used to be. My mother used ta well ....I said ok but just this once I don't wanna spoil her. I know that ain't the way her dad raised her. And fur you newbies ya gotta train them admirals right from the git go.

On a serious note. I'm gonna hang out for awhile and go threw my engine room. I keep those white absorb pads under the engines so that I see right away if I'm getting an oil or fluid leak. I'll check all the fluid levels. Ill clean my sea strainers ive been traveling threw alot of sea grass. I know I have to change or maybe just tighten the wires on my oil sending unit. My gauge was reading 0. I keep a manual pressure gauge on board so I know the pressure is fine it's just not showing.
A little tid bit while I'm thinking of. Water in the bilge. If your gettin a lot of water in the bilge ya start by determining if its fresh or salt, hot or cool. Hot would be engine, fresh you know to look at the house lines. I try to remember to shut off my water pump when under way or away from the boat because if I can't hear the pump cycling I could loose a hundred gallons of the admirals good shower and dish water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2643815724.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	19524  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #92
Guru

You are very wise to go through the engines before proceeding. I take a close look at both engines after every run at the end of the day. I found a raw water leak due to a broken hose clamp that gave no indication at the helm. I probably saved an engine because the leak was right over the air intake and the engine was sucking salt water for about 45 minutes. It wouldn't have taken much longer before real problems would have developed.

Good luck, are you staying in the Tampa Bay area for a few days?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #93
Guru

David, if you need more than you can do yourself, there is a great boat yard just across the river from Desoto Park. Snead Island Boat Works. They can do most anything. I have kept my boat there for awhile, and they did good work for me.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #94

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
"I take a close look at both engines after every run at the end of the day"
--------------
One of my flight instructors taught me to do a post flight mag check & a quick walk around so if anything had fallen off I'd know it then instead of the next time the plane was rented.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
You are very wise to go through the engines before proceeding. I take a close look at both engines after every run at the end of the day. I found a raw water leak due to a broken hose clamp that gave no indication at the helm. I probably saved an engine because the leak was right over the air intake and the engine was sucking salt water for about 45 minutes. It wouldn't have taken much longer before real problems would have developed.

Good luck, are you staying in the Tampa Bay area for a few days?
Yes it looks like the rivers coming into mobile are a little high. They say they don't recommend traveling above 14ft and there at 19. So it looks like at least a week probably two before I should even think about the rivers. The crossing of the gulf looks ok today and tomorrow but Saturday and Sunday are bad. So I got some time to kill. I could probably save a bunch if I got a slip for a week. But I should probably just do a day here and there and use the hook and dingy. My vehicle is in ft. Lauderdale I could get that a little closer.
So I'm not sure if I should jump acrossed the pond or split my wait here and there. How about some recommendations
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #96
Guru

My hinos should be feelin more better, the strainers did have a little grass and silt in them. There's an aweful lot of what looks like pollen floating on the water and it seems to be clogging the strainer a little. I guess I'll clean them daily now. I changed my oil pressure sending unit and all is well there. Being a parts hoarder pays off.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #97
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
When you see these clouds what do you do.
Watch them build and enjoy the view of their lifespan. Learn from them.

It might seem counter-intuitive but you might benefit from doing some studying of a basic aviation groundschool type book on weather. Pilots have a much greater investment in knowing how such things work.

The type of convective clouds you are concerned about are of great interest to pilots and the aviation training materials go into much better detail and explanation than basic marine weather texts.

The dreaded anvil is simply what happens when a Cumulas cloud rises high enough to have its top blown downwind by the very strong winds at high altitudes. They represent a dangerous cloud because benign cumulus clouds simply don't get that high.

Not every cumulus cloud becomes a thunderstorm and not every thunderstorm is a dangerous threat. They are just part of the environment you have chosen to enjoy.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #98
Guru

A friend is trying to get me to come to harborage marina in st Pete. But I don't know having gulf front property sounds nicer Being tucked away back in the bay doesn't sound that great. Even if it is safe
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #99
Guru

If we follow the intercostal north does it get a little cheaper eventually Any recommends for a great place to kill time. The place I just checked was $109 a night or 700 a month. I'll stay on the hook for short times but the month don't sound to bad. I think there's got to be better views tho with the cement pond.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
If we follow the intercostal north does it get a little cheaper eventually Any recommends for a great place to kill time. The place I just checked was $109 a night or 700 a month. I'll stay on the hook for short times but the month don't sound to bad. I think there's got to be better views tho with the cement pond.
If you want to stay on the beach side I like the Clearwater Municipal Marina. It is just across the street from a great beach. Many restaurants within walking distance.

The Harborage and St Pete Muncipal Marinas are really nice places also. You can walk to Publix, drug stores, West Marine. The Salvador Dahli Museum is a must see. The Columbia Restaurant out on the pier is very good.

You can't go wrong either way. Either is good for a few days. I have not had a problem with safety at either.