Old 10-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #1

City: Delray Beach
Vessel Name: Dani Lu
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
Anyone heading south from Long Island or New Jersey this week?

Hello,

I attempted leaving this morning, but the wind was blowing due west even though all forecasts were saying NW or WNW, but there was no North in the wind this am. I ran a few miles and decided to head back in to a cove by the inlet. Planing to leave tonight or very early am to beat what looks like 25+ knot winds tomorrow afternoon. Probably a long shot, I was wondering if anyone had similar plans, maybe run together. Or if not from LI, from Cape May up Delaware River, something I have never done. Last time, my only time doing this trip, I ran outside from Cape May to Norfolk, but it looks like the weather may not be cooperating for an outside run.

Smooth Seas,

Jeff
Dani lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard and be careful.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Welcome aboard and be careful.

Thank you!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Sorry the weather isn't cooperating for you. Be patient. Mother Nature can only string so many bad weather days in a row. It's no fun traveling a new route in bad weather.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would believe that's generally true Ted... But this has to be one of the stormiest October's in my memory.

We only had one calm day in a week between Cape May and Norfolk plus one day I wouldn't go out on the bay at all.

I have had calmer trips when I used to leave Jersey in December.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Delray Beach, Fl.
Vessel Name: Dani-Lu
Vessel Model: Searay/410 Sundancer
Thanks Ted. I am going to attempt getting a few hours sleep and head out around 1am. Hopefully the ocean will lay down by then. Good night.
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would believe that's generally true Ted... But this has to be one of the stormiest October's in my memory.

We only had one calm day in a week between Cape May and Norfolk plus one day I wouldn't go out on the bay at all.

I have had calmer trips when I used to leave Jersey in December.
I thought it was only me having this issue. I feel better now.

We recently moved to Delray Beach and I can’t wait to pull into my new slip behind my home. Been boating the northeast my whole life, so I can’t wait for southern boating seasons.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can it get any worse than this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko2ilrixp3..._0498.JPG?dl=0
Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #9

In case anyone is heading south, here is an update:

I left Fire Island Inlet, at 3am on Wed, 10/30, heading towards Cape May. I just wanted to get to Cape May, so if the winds didn’t die down, I at least had the option of running inside. This was my first overnight run. If you have never done an overnight run, I highly recommend it. The stars in the sky when I was more than 15 miles off the beach, was amazing. I am not much of a star gazer, but even this novice could see the constellations like looking at a picture, it looked surreal. I had a couple cups of coffee and the time really flew by quickly. At first the horizon started glowing white, then a little blue and red. It truly was the most beautiful sunrise I have ever witnessed. Maybe it was the whole experience, or maybe it is because from the boat, aside from a crescent moon, I was surrounded in almost total darkness making the sunrise so amazing. If I was a better writer I would do a better job describing the emotions I felt watching this truly magical and inspirational experience, but I guess you will have to do an overnighter to see for yourself. I have a feeling with this being a Trawler forum, most of you have already done many overnight runs, so not new to you.

The seas started building a few hours after sunrise, but I knew they were going to build too big for my comfort, so once they were tight 3+ footers, I decided to head to the Atlantic City, Absecon Inlet. The Little Egg harbor inlet was closer, but if I was going to enter a new to me inlet, it was going to be a larger, safer inlet, like Absecon.

So, here I sit in AC, waiting for a window, hopefully Sunday, to make it to the Delaware River and run inside until this wind dies down, or run all the way to Florida on the inside. I guess there are worse places than AC, to be waiting for good weather, but let’s hope the tables allow me to walk away with enough money to make it to Florida.

Safe travels.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #10
Guru

You can go inside to Cap May on the top 6 hours of a high tide as long as you don't draw someylthing like 6 feet.

You can always pop back out at Townsend's Inlet, very easy, despite the charts talking about the bouys not charted.

Call Sea Tow Cape May if a Sea Tow member and ask for Capt Ed or Boat US and ask for Bennie....they will tell you the good stuff.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Interesting. I have asked quite a few people here and not one mentioned this option. Everyone here is waiting for good ocean weather. My boat draws 3.5’, so this could be an option. From looking at charts, it looks very shallow in spots, with little room for error. I understand the charts show mean low water tide, so adding 3 to 4 feet makes a big difference. If tomorrow’s good weather forecast does not hold true, I will call BoatUS, for guidance.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
Guru

Most boaters are really not well informed or don't ever ask the right questions or people.

And yesmake decisions that have not weighed managed risks.

Many follow someone's advice who didn't have a good experience. That person gets on the internet like the great knowledgeable one and scares their entire audience into following their advice.

Going inside is done all the time....just have to follow some common sense guidelines....especially with only a 3.5 draft.

Sure the ocean us easier....till you wait forever or get the snot beat out of you.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The NJ ICW is not bad in the fall. All of the markers are still in place. The water is still warm. No one is fishing in the ICW this time of year. The bugs not too bad. Most of the PWCs are gone. And most marinas are open. There are a few fixed bridges at 33 ft height that are problems for sailboats. Travel the high tide +/- 3 hours and you should be ok. There is one big difference between NJ and FL though. In FL you can pass a few feet from a daymark with decent water. In NJ, it is common for a daymark to be sitting on a dry sandbar at low tide. Others are in deep water. Not somewhere you want to be flying through at 20 knots your first time.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #14
Guru

I don't know Archie, a few daymsrks between St Augustine and Marineland you need binocs to read them from where the water actually is. ..

But good description of Jersey in the fall....
Old 11-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, I made out of AC, via ocean on Sunday and ran up the Delaware. I am currently at a marina on the C&D canal in Delaware. Today was a rain out. Supposed to rain tomorrow, but I am going to head towards Norfolk anyway - Winds are not supposed to be too bad. Hopefully vis will be ok.

High Wire - Appreciate the reply. Kind of ironic, I have been boating on Long Island in the Great South Bay, for the last 25 years. When we seeing 6’, life is great. If you are not in a channel, you are not moving. And Moriches, LI is even worse.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't know Archie, a few daymsrks between St Augustine and Marineland you need binocs to read them from where the water actually is. ..

Approx 9 years ago, I got my butt kicked exiting the St. Augustine inlet.

I loved St. Augustine - Nice people and a beautiful city!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
This is always an interesting time of year for the trip south. Between boat fixes, and family things we won't be heading south until the 24th. Oughta be an interesting ride. Have a safe trip
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:

Some day I'll buy those stabilized jobs but until then 7x50s will have to do. Its a shame so many cruisers bypass NJ ICW in the fall just because of a few tight spots. Now Spring is another matter if there was any ice.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'm now in Vero Beach and cruising is easy. Have switched from heat to air conditioning. Here's one of my pics from this year's trip going South. Could be anywhere from NC to GA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_8572-20181103_1118345809674025731734020.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	82585

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote