Old 01-05-2017, 05:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41 President DC
First overnight anchoring

We are heading out to North Anclote Island for our first overnight anchoring. We have made several short trips but have tied up in marinas with shore power. This will be the first time without the umbilicus. We are preparing for the Great Loop, both the boat and ourselves and hope to become proficient at sharing our evening time between marinas and anchorages.

MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, yes, yes. Go for it. You really haven't experienced the real joy of boating until you sleep out at anchor, under the stars, miles from obvious civilisation, and wake in the morning to that beautiful, almost eerie, stillness that early morning about sunrise brings. That is something you can really only experience out on the water. Staying in marinas overnight is just not the same. A very poor second, for sure.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, yes, yes. Go for it. You really haven't experienced the real joy of boating until you sleep out at anchor, under the stars, miles from obvious civilisation, and wake in the morning to that beautiful, almost eerie, stillness that early morning about sunrise brings. That is something you can really only experience out on the water. Staying in marinas overnight is just not the same. A very poor second, for sure.
Cannot agree more!
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Go for it BUT big winds coming this weekend. Watch your timing.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: East Coast
Most important, make sure you have good ground tackle and make sure you know how to set your anchor. Your chart plotter probably has an anchor drag alarm so set it as well. Make sure you can hear the alarm from where you're sleeping.

The first time we anchored overnight, we were with a raft up of other boats. That was comforting. Since then, we've spent hundreds of nights anchored.

As for staying in marinas, there are advantages to this. Electricity and water to start. Unlimited hot showers, going to town, restaurants, stores, etc. without a dinghy, etc. We mix it up on our cruises.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Lovely, poetic description of something that can only be experienced.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
WesK wrote;
"Most important, make sure you have good ground tackle and make sure you know how to set your anchor. Your chart plotter probably has an anchor drag alarm so set it as well. Make sure you can hear the alarm from where you're sleeping."

Yes and for basic anchoring refer to Chapman's Piloting book.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Going to a marina is like staying at a Hoilday Inn, anchoring is like camping, peace and solitude.

BTW. I'm a sound sleeper and use a CPAP so I had my electronics guy but in a remote alarm on my Garmin in my cabin (made it loud) plus I use Drag Queen on my phone so if I drag (only once) I wake up. LOL
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMemories View Post
We are heading out to North Anclote Island for our first overnight anchoring. We have made several short trips but have tied up in marinas with shore power. This will be the first time without the umbilicus. We are preparing for the Great Loop, both the boat and ourselves and hope to become proficient at sharing our evening time between marinas and anchorages.

Have fun and don't worry. Pick a nice sheltered anchorage for you first time. Read up on it in your local sources and Active Captain. As others have said, anchoring out is very pleasant.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41 President DC
Thank you, one and all for the great advice. We have anchored several times in the same location but only during the day and returned home. This will be the first overnight. Great advice on the drag alarms, weather, and ground tackle. Light winds and a clear sky predicted for this evening (a little cold, though...low 60's). Checked and replaced a broken anchor light yesterday and spoke lovingly to my batteries (still learning about house needs and capacity). Fuel polished, new filters in the racors, generator belt tightened and new raw water pump installed, charts onboard....what could go wrong...LOL!
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMemories View Post
Thank you, one and all for the great advice. We have anchored several times in the same location but only during the day and returned home. This will be the first overnight. Great advice on the drag alarms, weather, and ground tackle. Light winds and a clear sky predicted for this evening (a little cold, though...low 60's). Checked and replaced a broken anchor light yesterday and spoke lovingly to my batteries (still learning about house needs and capacity). Fuel polished, new filters in the racors, generator belt tightened and new raw water pump installed, charts onboard....what could go wrong...LOL!

You are all set. You will find that you will likely wake up frequently during the night at every little sound or movement of the boat. That improves with time.

As for what can go wrong... It is a boat. All the stuff that you fixed can fail and all the stuff that was working perfectly is just waiting for the most inconvenient time to deliver an unpleasant surprise. I usually appease the boat Gremlins by making sure I always have a few things that need to be fixed at any given time.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
But, if you have the wrong anchor you will stay awake all night worrying about the rocks on the shore approaching.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Guru

City: Trenton
The captain never sleeps soundly at anchor.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Alormaris

You have not been around many catains who drink very heavily. LOL
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #15

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
The captain never sleeps soundly at anchor.
Based on my limited overnight stays, I sadly find this to be true.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: East Coast
I sleep very well at anchor.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Dotto!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I sleep very well at anchor.
+1
If it's not blowing what's to worry about?

And re the magic of laying at anchor is oversold IMO. However most of my staying overnight away from home port has been in SE Alaska towns and small cities. I find towns more interesting than anchoring out. But that does vary w towns and anchorages. I can much more easily think of wonderful towns to tie up for the night than wonderful anchorages. Lucky me though I've seen a lot of both. Also most of my "anchoring out" has been en-route to a destination. Not always the best anchorage. Most of the time down here I'd rather anchor out than stay at a marina, especially if town is a long walk. But we like Friday Harbor and Nanaimo. We don't do Friday Harbor in the summer though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsfish View Post
alormaris

you have not been around many catains who drink very heavily. Lol
+1. Lol
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Our best times boating have been "on the hook". You will especially remember those nights where you are the only one in the anchorage and you are sitting in your cockpit or aft deck watching the moon rise or the sun set having dinner or a glass of wine.

rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote