First overnight anchoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having been an active sports person and avid weightlifter since 6th grade my problems have become joint and tendon binds as well as muscle cramps. Food groups play a big part in overcoming these items. Potassium in bananas is a blessing... I eat two a day, every day.

Due to my workout regime... Speedo looks pretty good! At near 65, 6'1 (actually I've shrunk - 6' 1/2" now) and weighing in at 240 lbs., I'm still maintaining a 38" trim waste. Days of benching 400 lbs. in "World Gym", Kentfield CA are long gone (those were in my 30's). Now I have gym in room down hall from my home office. Good set up of several exercise equipment types. "BodyCraft" exercise platform is the center piece. Can do nearly anything on that I could do in full-on gyms years ago.

BodyCraft Platinum Elite Home Gym

I was always one of those tall, skinny types. On a good day I could do 20 push-ups. However, after over a dozen marathons and countless shorter races my knees finally gave out. So I no longer run 50 miles a week but I still eat like I do.

Back to the topic, maybe they could just toss me overboard for an anchor?

Last edited:
I was always one of those tall, skinny types. On a good day I could do 20 push-ups. However, after over a dozen marathons and countless shorter races my knees finally gave out. So I no longer run 50 miles a week but I still eat like I do.

Back to the topic, maybe they could just me overboard for an anchor?

Kinda off topic again... In "the day" I'd make beer money in pubs by placing $20 buck bet that I could do 60 (or more) full-on pushups (someone's flat hand under chest for touching per pushup) in less that 60 seconds. Don't recall loosing. Today that bet would not be placed!

Back on topic. Bull horns were made for communicating to other boats. At first a cordial request can work wonders! Notice I said at first - cordial.

Just in from our first overnight anchoring and it was great! We thought about staying another night out, but the weather here is going to deteriorate over the next couple of days, so we packed up and came back home. After reading forum members thoughts and past experiences, I wanted to share a few of mine. I did get some sleep - in between checking the anchor and making sure we were not dragging (she held fast all night). When there are no fans, air conditioners, or other noise makers on, you hear many "other" sounds that need investigating. I made my own snubber that actually worked properly. House batteries exceeded my expectations (yes, I checked the gauge every time I checked the anchor and investigating odd slurping sounds). The stars were bright, and the sunrise was amazing. Thank you, one and all for your thoughts and advice, I appreciate all the feedback and will pay it forward to the next newbie.

Congrats. It wasn't so hard was it? Wait until next time, it gets easier until something scary happens! You will always remember your first time. LOL

Wow, budgie smugglers as a mooring real estate defense! Pretty much going "the full Monty".
As to "rights", what happens in practice here fits with Hinz`s observations, I follow the practice myself. Standard anchoring etiquette as far as I`m concerned. You know you`re getting close when someone emerges from an anchored boat to watch from the bow.

Wow, budgie smugglers as a mooring real estate defense! Pretty much going "the full Monty".
As to "rights", what happens in practice here fits with Hinz`s observations, I follow the practice myself. Standard anchoring etiquette as far as I`m concerned. You know you`re getting close when someone emerges from an anchored boat to watch from the bow.

Why not? FF used to share stories from his sailing days in Bahamas. Houseboat rental outfits told customers to anchor near the sailboats as the water was plenty deep. When the houseboats showed up he and his wife would leave the clothes down below and step up on deck to offer a friendly wave to their new neighbors. Although the new neighbors chose not to stick around for some reason.

Craig

"Although the new neighbors chose not to stick around for some reason"

Are you saying FF had ugly bodies? You need to visit the Columbus Day Regatta in Biscayne Bay with all the nudity and hot bodies strippers. Everyone wants to get close. LOL

Back
Top Bottom