Old 09-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
To Edna Bay in the skiff

Iv'e been meaning to go to Edna Bay since we moved here 5 yrs ago. It's quite remote and the waters en-route have many kelp beds and rocks. I ran Karheen passage (the 1st leg of the trip) several times in the last few years * ...got into the kelp but hit no rocks. Have only a hand held compass on the skiff. Launch at Winter Harbor, run Karheen p (6 mi), cross Sea Otter Sound (10 mi) and then Davidson Inlet (about 8 mi) to Edna Bay. As we approached I decided Edna Bay wasn't too spectacular but walking around on the narrow roads was wonderful. The smells of the rain forest was a heady and wonderful experience. Lots of berries and ferns and sculptured lush Hemlocks. We walked untill we got tired and went back to the boat. Headed for our friend's cabin on Marble Island (where the Wn state capital marble came from). Lots of birds and sea otters over glassy smooth water. Spent the night w Ed Barnritter in the closed end of his wood shed. The fire went out about 3am and we were a bit cold in the am. Ed fixed us venison stew (very good) the night before and hot cakes in the morning. He took us on a tour of lots of kelp beds in his 12' skiff and some large marble quarries. On the way home we stopped in the middle of Davidson Inlet and just gawked at the marine wilderness around us. When we got close to the launch ramp we ate our lunch on the boat * * *....just didn't want it to end. The weather's changed BIG TIME now it's 35 to 45 mph w gusts to 60 today. I better post the pics before the Hughes Net thing gets rearranged.Posted!
1. * *Approaching Eagle Island that is in the middle between Davidson Inlet and Sea Otter Sound.
2. * *A small rock cliff on the NE end of Eagle Island.
3. * *Looking across the south end of Davidson Inlet. Whale head on the distant right and part of Eagle Island on the right.
4. * *Edna Bay on Kosciusko Island.
5. * *The harbor floats at Edna Bay
6. * *Edna Bay
7. * *Edna Bay
8. * *Our skiff. 16' Crestliner. All welded and a bit heavy for an aluminum skiff. *Wide and quite deep. Power is a 40 hp E-tech w fuel injection and a low (lowest) gear ratio and 2.67-1 gears. I can put 5 people in this boat and pop up on plane easily. The trip was 55 miles, 3 hrs and less than 7 gallons = 2.2 gph at 17 mph.
9. * *Edna Bay
10. *Very old fish boat that probably had sea stories to tell. Wonder how they bent that Bruce?
11. *We left Edna Bay and here we're on a course to Marble Island * *..ahead.
12. *Looking aft (south) toward Edna Bay on the right.
13. *Ed's original cabin where he lives now. We stayed in a larger structure w cabin, garage and wood shed all in one.

14. *In the small bay near Ed's cabins. He took us through the kelp beds in his 12' skiff
to the big marble quarry. The water is quite clear here so it was like going to a natural aquarium.
15. *Looking south down Davidson Inlet. Edna Bay is on the right and the ocean in the distance*16. *The small cove where Ed has his cabin (just to the right of the boat). I met Ed in
Craig when I saw his boat * * *....also a Willard.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 24th of September 2010 06:59:29 PM
Attached Thumbnails
sth71376.jpg   sth71375.jpg   sth71374.jpg   sth71364.jpg   sth71363.jpg  

sth71362.jpg   sth71361.jpg   sth71358.jpg   sth71359.jpg   sth71357.jpg  

sth71355.jpg   sth71349.jpg   sth71350.jpg   sth71347.jpg   sth71346.jpg  

sth71344.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
RE: To Edna Bay in the skiff

Hiya,
** Thanks Mr. Willie.* That's what it's ALL about!**Being on* the water in ANY boat
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

"Wonderful stuff Eric!"* You are living my dream.....not my wife's dream....just mine.
Beautiful photos.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Nice photos.* I'm headed your way in a couple weeks, might have to check out Edna Bay...........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote