Current ICW trouble spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RT- I guess this thread will do. Don't you feel you are being a bit harsh towards the bridge attendant?? After all. They are just humans like us......

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

RTF- Where exactly are you? In the Norfolk area? Important part of a travelogue.

Is Gennie runable?

Ski, there are no pictures, so it can't be real.:D

Maybe a little thread drift but the local news talking heads have reported the Fort Pierce Inlet is closed due to a barge sinking. There was no indication when it may reopen.

I just happen to have found a picture someone snapped when RT was not expecting it.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424921756.340954.jpg

Watch out for them pesky paparazzi Mr Firefly and enjoy the boat ride.

Back in my industry days we had a maintenance term.. "RTF".. Run To Failure. I have to keep knocking that out of my head when I see a post from Mr. Firefly.

And beware the paparazzi.

Good travels!!

Photos!!

Location would certainly help! Weather here in eastern NC has been and is again today, miserable.

Cruisersnet (Salty Southeast) sent out an alert yesterday on the Fort Pierce inlet issue right after it happened.

Location would certainly help! Weather here in eastern NC has been and is again today, miserable.

Cruisersnet (Salty Southeast) sent out an alert yesterday on the Fort Pierce inlet issue right after it happened.

Capt. Tris Colket who was quoted in the Cruisersnet report is the captain that looks after Moonstruck in my absence. A great guy with the busiest charter boat in the area. This is costing him money.

Maybe a little thread drift but the local news talking heads have reported the Fort Pierce Inlet is closed due to a barge sinking. There was no indication when it may reopen.

Sure looks like one of those derelict $1 barges. It was mentioned as a live aboard and clearly was not a commercially viable barge. In the keys especially, but in other areas too, often vessels of various sorts are left at marinas on just ditched somewhere. When left at the marina then it's their obligation to dispose of it safely. However, if they can sell it or even give it away then that shifts to the buyer. They was one that didn't make it a mile before it sunk. Clean up costs for it were estimated at $500,000. Obviously the boat in this situation was not able to operate under it's own power, whether a temporary or permanent situation. Perhaps it was an ebay or Craigslist special.

Regardless the loss of life is sad and the cost of dealing with the vessel is quite high. Unfortunately Florida has more than it's share of vessels like this one and is still searching for a solution.

Good Luck RT, but without Pics, me thinks you and the admiral are hold up in north country still........

Flowers and trees are blooming here in the lower Columbia River....

Now where are those RT pics and position indicators......

Greetings,
End of day 3. NO issues, no cataclysms, no groundings. Strong north winds gusting to 40 kts, hence, following seas and waves in the neighborhood of 2'-3' BUT 62 miles with a 10 AM departure (had to wait for better visibility). With the following seas and wind we averaged 9 kts (about a 2 knot boost)-bunus!
As to our location, in order to maintain my enigmatic anonymity suffice as to say, we're about 50 miles (statute) north of the NC/SC border.
The generator is starting and running like a new one.

hmmmm, sounds like Carolina Beach.

Hmmm. I'm at mm 280, state line is 340. So he is at Wrightsville Beach, but then his math would be off by about 8sm. CB would be about 50sm.

Safe travels!! Weather looks to be incrementally improving.

Did you go outside? If the ICW, there is not much in the way of following seas, or seas of any kind on that stretch, almost all ditch. Not to mention winds have been northerly and that trip is east to west. Mysterious indeed!

Greetings,
Mr. c. "Mysterious indeed!" No mystery at all although I did not mean to imply ALL the day was following seas with the conditions I mentioned. Crossing the sounds, we did experience a bit of a bumpy ride but the remainder was as you mentioned, ditch. Apologies for any confusion.

Greetings,
Fine end to day 3. 70 miles (statute) with an 08:30hrs. start. Saw a few dolphins but none played in the wash/waves. Severe shoaling just north of green 61, Camp Lejeune. Two temporary nun bouys on east side of channel VERY close to shore. CAUTION. CAUTION, CAUTION!!! Fresh oysters, roast chicken, mashed 'taters, gravy, sweet snap peas and cookies and cream ice cream for desert.
Fresh banana bread tomorrow AM, courtesy of friends along the way. Life is good. Might consider wearing shorts tomorrow....I know, I know, too much information...

th

Sh*t. You gotta let that go... The meal sounded great though!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

OK, yesterday report was 50sm from NC/SC border. This report was Camp LeJeune.

You are going the wrong way. Turn around.

OK, yesterday report was 50sm from NC/SC border. This report was Camp LeJeune.

You are going the wrong way. Turn around.

In keeping with his "enigmatic anonymity", he is trying to confuse the innocent and guilty alike.

Maybe with this winter even the eager beavers won't start needing tow service till later...but the boss was promised April 15th to start my watch.

Probably more than a few markers missing in action this winter!!!

Greetings,
NO intent to confuse any of YOU. I'm the one confused. OK. NOW we are sitting in North Myrtle Beach as I key. FOR SURE!.. Good day today 79 miles in 9 hours untied to tied up. Ran the tides for a boost of 1 knot+. I think I'll quite reporting and do a final post when we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale. I don't recommend posting when very tired or very drunk and I don't drink. Out.

Greetings,
Tied to the Mega Dock in Charleston SC. Lay day tomorrow to change oil and clean up. First time we could take off the winter coats and hats. No shorts yet (sorry about post #47). Visitors PM first please.

Greetings,
Tied to the Mega Dock in Charleston SC. Lay day tomorrow to change oil and clean up. First time we could take off the winter coats and hats. No shorts yet (sorry about post #47). Visitors PM first please.
I was just in Charleston last Thursday / Friday for work . This was my first time there ( don't get out much ) . Cool place and great food .

Looks like he's navigating the trouble spots quite well. Hell's Gate and Mud River to go.

Greetings,
Mr. t. You give me way too much credit. The Admiral does ALL the navigating. I just follow orders/direction and try to provide a good home cooked meal at the end of the day. Yup, Mud River and Hell's gate yet to come. Take her slow, watch the tides and the depth sounder like a hawk. The magenta line is only a rough GUIDE.

I agree that cruisers.net or waterwayguide.com are two good places for ICW info. Waterway guide also has fuel prices.
BUT For A Basic Guide To Travel The ICW Get Skipper Bob's Anchorage Guide.
Mile by mile it will provide you all the information you need to safely proceed. Don't be fooled that it is only 1/2" thick.
If you are under way I think Alligator Marina has copies. The guide is about $16.00. A life saver..
And no I do not work for the publisher.

Greetings,
Advice to proceed through areas at low tide suggest we may run Mud Creek one to two hours after high tide Sunday. Comments? I'm against it, Admiral says no problem. I'm nervous.

Greetings,
Advice to proceed through areas at low tide suggest we may run Mud Creek one to two hours after high tide Sunday. Comments? I'm against it, Admiral says no problem. I'm nervous.

Pay attention to the Admiral they usually know what they're talking about;-)

Back
Top Bottom