Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 PM   #101
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Westport, CT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,906
You're doin great! And no tows? Soldier on.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #102
Veteran Member
 
City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 63
Mr. RT Firefly -

I've been predisposed reading about the New Jersey greenheads and must have missed your start city and end city. Greenheads don't worry about skinny water as they migrate north. Thanks for the info
__________________

SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #103
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Back when living in South Carolina, I had a skiff with a bimini top. One day looked up and the underside was covered in horseflies. But they were not really bothering me. So I left them alone.

Next day at high noon looked up and there were pinholes in the top!!. Those buggers were eating my bimini top!!
In SC going through Fenwick Cut one day (we had already closed up the helm deck, and turned on the A/C) all the windows were covered outside with green head flies. There was a group of kayakers out that I hoped had a lot of insect repellent.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #104
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
... If you haven't already, buy one of the towing packages and do it NOW!!!!!. ...
Small houseboat being towed through Carquinez Strait for Vallejo today. Wisely/fortunately, the tow is being made during calm conditions.

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:15 AM   #105
keb
Senior Member
 
keb's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
A bitting nat on steroids....


See and I thought you were talking about the Pacific Green Head Eco-nuts. They are less problematic for the community usually and do some community good. You can keep yours in FL. We have our share of no see'ums, skeeters, and biting flys.

Question: are they all over florida?


Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #106
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post

Question: are they all over florida?


Kevin
Portland, OR
No, they are not. In fact, they're far more a problem in South Carolina and Georgia than Florida. And in South Florida not really an issue at all. Basically the less disturbed by civilization, the more owned by bugs.

I will say too that this is part of the choice of "roughing it" or anchoring in remote areas vs. marinas in more populated areas. I was talking one day to an 83 year old who talked about Hollywood, Florida before all the development and said the beach area was nearly impossible to endure at night due to all the mosquitoes. Now it's fully developed and mosquitoes are not a problem. When we cruise, we stay at marinas and rarely encounter problems with flying creatures. We live on the water in Fort Lauderdale and really have no problems with them.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #107
keb
Senior Member
 
keb's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 129
We are contemplating a relocation to sunnier climes in the near future and have been wondering about Florida's bug population. Where we live in Portland we don't really have problem with biting bugs being somewhat elevated and drier, but understand there are always compromises one must make in a change of scenery. But I would rather know going in what I am up against instead of relying on the answers of people who have a vested interest in our relocation if you know what I mean.

What I was curious about was all of the screened-in porches in FL. Is that common all over the state or certain parts say closer to the Everglades?

Ok, sorry about thread drift ... But it can be considered a problem on the ICW can't it?


Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #108
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
We are contemplating a relocation to sunnier climes in the near future and have been wondering about Florida's bug population. Where we live in Portland we don't really have problem with biting bugs being somewhat elevated and drier, but understand there are always compromises one must make in a change of scenery. But I would rather know going in what I am up against instead of relying on the answers of people who have a vested interest in our relocation if you know what I mean.

What I was curious about was all of the screened-in porches in FL. Is that common all over the state or certain parts say closer to the Everglades?

Ok, sorry about thread drift ... But it can be considered a problem on the ICW can't it?

Kevin
Portland, OR
Think of the distance between you in Portland and San Francisco and that gives you a perspective of the area of Florida. Generalizations are very dangerous. Disneyworld was built on swamp and yet has no bug issues. Simply been developed so much. On the ICW in Fort Lauderdale there isn't an issue and I've never found one in Clearwater or Venice or Naples. Okeechobee, yes. In our neighborhood there are all open patios, very few screened areas, no screened pools and pools used regularly at night. When we have large groups of people we'll often leave the doors to our family room from the patio open so it's a continuous area. There's a town 25 miles west of us, Weston. All the homes built there have screened patios and pools. Weston borders on the Everglades. Now, I've been told the bug issues aren't nearly what they were 20 years ago, now that the town has built out more.

I can only suggest exploring very specific areas of interest and spending some evening time there plus talking to residents. Generally you're going to find the more developed the area, the fewer bug problems. Find that home out by itself in a natural area and you're far more inclined to find bugs...and alligators.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #109
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,855
Probably the most problematic insects in Florida are love bugs on your car (they dry like concrete). and Palmetto bugs. Palmetto bugs are cock roaches on steroids. Another less of a problem is the chinch bug in St. Augustine grass lawns. Really nothing that can't be controlled or lived with.

By the way, not much of the Disney site was swamp. I was on site during construction in 1964-66. Our company supplied much of the form material for the concrete foundations. There is another city with tunnels and underground chambers to service the park above. It was an interesting project. I have not been back since before in opened.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #110
keb
Senior Member
 
keb's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 129
Thanks for the suggestions B!


Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #111
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
What I was curious about was all of the screened-in porches in FL. Is that common all over the state or certain parts say closer to the Everglades?
The lanai is simply a screened in porch around the pool and is attached to the covered deck. While I can't swear there are no air born bugs around here in the summer (I summer in Maryland), the screen serves several purposes. It keeps the tree frogs, geckos, birds, and falling leaves out of the pool. It also keeps the occasional escaped pet or toddler out of the pool as well. Pool cleanliness is decidedly better also as less dust and dirt end up in the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150311_122847.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	38158

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #112
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Probably the most problematic insects in Florida are love bugs on your car (they dry like concrete). and Palmetto bugs. Palmetto bugs are cock roaches on steroids. Another less of a problem is the chinch bug in St. Augustine grass lawns. Really nothing that can't be controlled or lived with.

By the way, not much of the Disney site was swamp. I was on site during construction in 1964-66. Our company supplied much of the form material for the concrete foundations. There is another city with tunnels and underground chambers to service the park above. It was an interesting project. I have not been back since before in opened.
I didn't think construction began until 67 as they didn't announce the project or make public the land buying until late 65. (Land buying started in 64, first recorded spring of 65). As to the swamp, just know what I've read as I wasn't yet born. You definitely should go back some time.

Disney did an amazing job of keeping the project a secret while buying all the land under many different names and not recording any of the purchases until ready. Oh, plus lying when directly questioned. No one would ever be able to keep anything like that a secret in today's world. Too bad he died before it was developed.

Maybe eventually we'll pave the Everglades...lol. I say that only because I recently heard an old old old radio gag. The day after a plane did an emergency landing on the expressway, Phil Hendry, a local talk show host who did a lot of fake characters, had a fake Brian Cox (a controversial Miami Dolphin). The fake Brian said he didn't like it. Planes had no business landing on the expressway. You didn't see cars driving out on the tarmac at airports. How would they like it if next time he had car trouble he just pulled onto the runway at the airport. As questioned about what he would do then, he said there was all the land in the Everglades and it wasn't used for anything so they should just pave it all and then the planes could land there all they wanted.

This was before Brian Cox had a post game locker room explosion and Phil Hendry made comments about it the next day that led to a major lawsuit and when the station was sold, one of the conditions was the previous owners were stuck with Hendry, his contract, and all lawsuits and they new owners got no part of him.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #113
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,191
Wifey B: You mean there was a time there was no Disneyworld, back in ancient days? Oh my. I can't imagine. Actually I didn't get to go my first time until 2012 at the old age of 33, but I was like a child. Next you're going to tell me there were times without space travel and before computers and then televisions...boy, how primitive.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #114
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Numbers...
running hours 105.3 hrs
gallons used 426
fuel usage (including gen') 4ghp
average rpm 1750
average speed (including tides+/-) 8knots
aprox. mileage 775 statute
Best we can figure out...
Twin Lehman 120hp. Onan 15kw. Boat weight 25 tons full displacement.
Great numbers!
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #115
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I didn't think construction began until 67 as they didn't announce the project or make public the land buying until late 65. (Land buying started in 64, first recorded spring of 65). As to the swamp, just know what I've read as I wasn't yet born. You definitely should go back some time.

Disney did an amazing job of keeping the project a secret while buying all the land under many different names and not recording any of the purchases until ready. Oh, plus lying when directly questioned. No one would ever be able to keep anything like that a secret in today's world. Too bad he died before it was developed.

Maybe eventually we'll pave the Everglades...lol. I say that only because I recently heard an old old old radio gag. The day after a plane did an emergency landing on the expressway, Phil Hendry, a local talk show host who did a lot of fake characters, had a fake Brian Cox (a controversial Miami Dolphin). The fake Brian said he didn't like it. Planes had no business landing on the expressway. You didn't see cars driving out on the tarmac at airports. How would they like it if next time he had car trouble he just pulled onto the runway at the airport. As questioned about what he would do then, he said there was all the land in the Everglades and it wasn't used for anything so they should just pave it all and then the planes could land there all they wanted.

This was before Brian Cox had a post game locker room explosion and Phil Hendry made comments about it the next day that led to a major lawsuit and when the station was sold, one of the conditions was the previous owners were stuck with Hendry, his contract, and all lawsuits and they new owners got no part of him.

Yeah, I was there during the buy up of land. There was much speculation about who was buying so much property. Rumors would be Roy Rogers one day and Gene Autry the next. Disney was working on the design well in advance. Contractors were ready to pull the trigger. I do not remember the exact dates. but we shipped several car loads of 3/4" BBO&ES before we even knew who the owner of the property was. As soon as the land was under option they started things in motion. It moved very quickly. That was nearly 50 years ago. Long time. I was on the site. It was a long drive into the construction area at that time.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #116
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You mean there was a time there was no Disneyworld, back in ancient days? Oh my. I can't imagine. Actually I didn't get to go my first time until 2012 at the old age of 33, but I was like a child. Next you're going to tell me there were times without space travel and before computers and then televisions...boy, how primitive.
Do we even let people under 40 read this forum?

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Billyfeet's Avatar
 
City: Jupiter, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 179
As stated in previous posts Florida is a large state with many different terrains and insect realities. But for someone contemplating a move from Portland, OR to the Sunshine State I would suggest spending a week in Florida during the months of either June, July or August prior to making permanent arrangements to live here. Bugs are a minor annoyance compared to the heat and humidity. You won't have to worry about those screened porches because you will be in an airconditioned box of some sort for the duration of summer.......
Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #118
keb
Senior Member
 
keb's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 129
We have spent some time in the Keys, Central America, Jamaica, the DR and the Southern US in there more oppressive heat months. While it can be a little uncomfortable, we like the heat. I have also spent time in remote Alaska during the summer and had to live wearing a mosquito net hat. (never thought I would see so many mosquitos in one place and one time) It's not anyway to live. I will take the heat ANYDAY. And after 57 years in the gloom of the NW, it's time for a change. Also considering off-shore, but want to check out FL first. We do plan on visiting a few areas, but also wanted to get first hand knowledge from all of you fine FL folks here. We're not the golf course, yacht club type, but we don't want to live in a swamp to get away from everyone but the gators either. We just average folk looking for a slower pace of life. We hope to spend most of our time on the water, but we are considering a land base as well.
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #119
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,855
Florida is hot, but bearable. I didn't know what heat and humidity was until I moved to Savannah, GA. That is unbearable without A/C.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #120
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyfeet View Post
As stated in previous posts Florida is a large state with many different terrains and insect realities. But for someone contemplating a move from Portland, OR to the Sunshine State I would suggest spending a week in Florida during the months of either June, July or August prior to making permanent arrangements to live here. Bugs are a minor annoyance compared to the heat and humidity. You won't have to worry about those screened porches because you will be in an airconditioned box of some sort for the duration of summer.......
Nope, I like the 75-85f weather her in the PNW during the summer with very little humidity. You can keep that southern stuff......
__________________

__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012