Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Cuba in the Near Future?

I just saw a news flash that Obama will pretty quickly normalize relations with Cuba including resolving financial and travel issues. I presume that will mean that Cuba will be open again for US cruisers. That will be a very cool thing. A lot of cruisers will be heading that way.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
I would agree. It'll be a far trip from Seattle for you, but you can raft up with us when you get there

hmmm.. maybe I leave palm beach and head back south

No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Incentive for us to make the trip!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Very cool developments!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Incentive for us to make the trip!
We make great margaritas!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Still doubt Bacardi will get its distillery back. Will continue to get our rum from Puerto Rico where it has been making rum for the last 50 years or so.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #7

City: Baltimore
the full press release says that travel for tourism will still be restricted. maybe i misunderstood?
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Still doubt Bacardi will get its distillery back. Will continue to get our rum from Puerto Rico where it has been making rum for the last 50 years or so.
Amen...
Old 12-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Bacardi rum is rotgut but those Cohiba Robustos are a nice smoke. IF travel and trade restrictions are relaxed, let's hope the mafia is kept out of the country this time.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
This is long overdue. I hope we can all put this on our cruising bucket list.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I smoked a lot of Cuban cigars my brother brought back from either Spain or Venezuela and I only found one I liked. I prefer Dominican with a Connecticut wrapper. With a Scotch, single malt of course.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Bacardi rum is rotgut but those Cohiba Robustos are a nice smoke. IF travel and trade restrictions are relaxed, let's hope the mafia is kept out of the country this time.
Havana Club rum
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Havana Club rum
Oh I agree! what a difference in taste!!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
My son spent some time at Gitmo doing IT work. The pics he sent home portray another tropical paradise.

A friend spent some time in Cuba on some sort of language immersion/education project. He was not impressed at first and wanted to come home. Said everything is as advertised - a run-down, 3rd world hellhole. But it grew on him the longer he stayed.

I wish I could have visited before the Revolution - from what I understand, it was like Vegas and New Orleans on steroids. At least for us monied gringos anyhow. Not so much for the locals.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I smoked a lot of Cuban cigars my brother brought back from either Spain or Venezuela and I only found one I liked. I prefer Dominican with a Connecticut wrapper. With a Scotch, single malt of course.
100%
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I hear Cuba has a lot of nice beaches. Wonder how the Cuban Americans are taking this...
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Cuba has been on Lena's bucket list. We better hurry up though, she wants to get there before they open up a McDonald's. (She's not counting the one at Guantanamo Bay)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I'm sure there will be those who feel very strongly both ways, especially close to our home in South Florida. For many, it's a very personal issue. However, it gradually is becoming a little less so as a new generation comes along that doesn't have direct memory of the events that led to the embargo.

In practical terms, the lifting of the trade embargo will definitely benefit South Florida businesses. Overall it will benefit the people of Cuba and the US. We have products they'd like to buy but being able to afford them is limited until they well us products we want. The purpose of the embargo had long ago ceased to exist.

In terms of travel and this is where trawlers are involved, I didn't understand the realities until moving to South Florida. Floridians travel to Cuba all the time and take money. Travel from the US is an important contributor to the Cuban economy. The fact of having to go through a third country only increases the cost and inconvenience. So, overall the travel restriction is definitely not 100%. Now Cubans don't have the same ability to travel here. This leads also to a terrible business of smuggling of athletes. They ultimately reach the US but at great risk and having committed a large part of their future income to the gangs that assisted them. Anytime something is pushed underground, protection by the law disappears. On the other hand travel by boat has been restricted and just like the athletes coming this way, those going to Cuba by boat have subjected themselves to significant risk. If you're working around the law, it doesn't protect you.

The embargo came about in 1960. That's ten years before I was born. The average age in the US is 37, but you'd have to be 54 to have been alive then and probably 70 to remember the time. This was a national security issue that no longer exists.

It seems only natural to change. Otherwise it's like the Hatfields and McCoys where the current generation has no understanding of the original issues. I think gradually you could see Cuba again become a great cruising ground. South Floridians go to the Bahamas all the time, but those desiring to go to Cuba if equivalent resources were there for tourists could be huge.

I heard it once said that all that was keeping the Embargo was that Fidel Castro was still alive. Even though he's relatively inactive today, he remains an issue for many. Their families suffered at what they would say "his hands." They took a treacherous trip here by boat. But by sheer aging of the population the group opposed to "trading with Castro" has diminished.

I have Cuban friends. Many go there several times a year and are close to their family. At this time the reason for the embargo is long gone and so it does harm but lacks purpose.

I look forward to the time Cuba is another cruising ground. One of the benefits of limiting Presidents to two terms is that sometimes they feel more free to take care of long term problems that might be politically difficult. As a businessman I look forward to importing product from Cuban factories. I import today from far less friendly countries. And perhaps that's the point. The Cuban people and American people like each other and have always done so.

Again as boaters the potential is one of the best places we could go. Reestablished as a tourist center. it's likely to be one of the most pleasant places to go.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Growing up in Tampa Bay this was a very touchy subject I have been to Cuba several times my land home is in Thomasville, Ga here is a short Video of the trip to Cuba

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #20

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Well said BandB, however I do remember watching the television during the Cuban missile crisis and as a lad of about 10 I was scared to death. Thankfully my children have no memory of that and almost no knowledge of it. The Cuban people are the ones that have suffered and hopefully will now benefit from normalized relations.

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote