Old 10-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #101
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I was warned about the limited detail that the Garmin electronic charts gives you for Cuba. And that turned out to be an understatement.

The picture posted below will show how poor the data is for Marina Hemingway when using the Garmin charts.

The picture in my next post is a screenshot of that kind of detail you get with the Navionics electronic charts of the same area.

As you can see by my track in the picture below, according to the Gamin chart, I was docked on the hard.
The reason we always have two sets of charts open and have even searched a third. Every system has areas in which it's great and others that it's poor. Garmin, lousy for Cuba, has great charts of the inland rivers and lakes as we used them coming down the Illinois River. Furuno river charts are much better than they were.

Interestingly too, talking to people about traveling the same areas a few years ago and they couldn't find a decent chart. I'm sure the charts for Cuba will change a lot now.

You sure point out the reason for not completely trusting any chart though.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #102
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Bill, do you have the optional "SonarCharts" on your Navionics? (If you click the blue logo in the lower left corner, you can toggle between charts,,,Govt Chart, Navionics, SonarChart.)

The improved barothymetric data is notable in some areas, not so much on others. As wifi connected mariners frequent the area and Navionics receives more crowd-sourced updates, they're bound to provide better bottom data than the standard charts. I suspect the shoreline presentations will improve as well.

I can't help but think that this will be the way we'll be able to quickly see current bottom changes like those experienced following Hurricane Matthew and places like Cuba that, until now, weren't frequented.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #103
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Bill, do you have the optional "SonarCharts" on your Navionics? (If you click the blue logo in the lower left corner, you can toggle between charts,,,Govt Chart, Navionics, SonarChart.)
Yes I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	57510  
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #104
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
After the latest update I alsohave the ability to create my own depth charts with my Garmin system using their QuickDraw software.

But I have yet to start using it. I think I'll give it a shot on my trip up from Key West to FLL around the first of Nov.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote