Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yes, Cuba has lots of potential!
Yup. It does indeed. Makes me kind of sad, to be honest, because it will eventually become just another tourist trap. I still remember when we, with two other sailboats, came into Varadero, Cuba in 1997 and checked into the marina there after a somewhat traumatic crossing of the Florida Straits. We walked around town (lots of beautiful old 1957 Chevys!), and the people would say in hushed tones: "Los Veleros!" (The sailors). Have to admit that we strutted a bit and felt important. :-)

John

jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
..it seems beautiful from all my time in Gitmo and flying around the island in CG helos...at least the topography.
It's not just the topography, the people are beautiful too! I spent 18 months there in 1959-60.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark Skin.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	22383   Click image for larger version

Name:	cigars.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	22384  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Pensacola
It will be free again and the mutual respect of our people's will be evident. Going to be a lot of cash infused into Cuba when the commies go away. Afraid it will take the deaths of Castro or a coup to make it happen.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Cuba has tremendous potential. I see it every day in Miami.
I would bet that today you can get better Cuban food in Miami than you can in Cuba.
As an example, in Miami you can get really good Fritas. Fritas were a hamburger like street food sold in Cuba. The lack of fresh beef has made them much harder to find in Cuba. We just had a contest to see who makes the best Frita in Miami. El Rey De Las Fritas won. El Mago De Las Fritas was a close second.

El Mago is my favorite.

HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It may take awhile to become "a tourist trap" it is over 600 miles long and over 60 miles wide for most of it...not including hundreds if not thousands of beautiful little islands. It's about 2/3 the size of the State of Florida.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
No doubt the major cities will tourist up once the inevitable end of the travel ban. The rural areas however will remain the same for many decades after though.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Don't forget that this ban only affects US citizens, there has been widespread tourism to Cuba for quite a while now, America is the only country that has placed an embargo on its own citizens visiting.

My local travel agent has brochures and tour information freely available. There are large English and Canadian operations that have resort style set-ups in Cuba for package holidays.I have quite a few European friends who have travelled to Cuba in the last 10 years or so, no big deal.

A quick check on Wikipedia shows that just under half Cuba's exports go to Canada and Holland, so I'm not sure what this embargo is supposed to be achieving, being that it has been in place for 40 odd years now.

Don't get me wrong, I am no supporter of the current regime, I just don't understand the rationale of the embargo. FWIW, I think it is more sensible to follow the route your government has with its dealings with Vietnam. Trade and tourism can cut across government doctrine and heal old wounds over time.

( I promised myself that when I disabled my OTDE I would not get into these types of discussions )
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #28
Guru

"I think it is more sensible to follow the route your government has with its dealings with Vietnam."

That's an argument that is currently dividing the US Cuban community.

There is a very brave young lady named Yoni Sanchez who blogs from inside Cuba about life under the Castro brothers. She recently expressed the opinion that lifting the blockade would hurt the Castro's more than the blockade does.

She writes in Spanish but people all over the world have taken it upon themselves to translate it.
Here is a link to it. Pick your language:
Los idiomas de Generación Y | Las traducciones

"Trade and tourism can cut across government doctrine and heal old wounds over time."

I personally don't want to heal wounds with the current regime.
I just want them to die, soon.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #29
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Tourism is already a well developed industry in Cuba. It is now the number one industry, recently exceeding sugar cane exports. Life over their isn't quite as bad as the US media makes it out to be, especially considering the economic embargoes placed on them, and their lack of petroleum and other resources.

Human Development Index Rating for Cuba is 59th in world, one of the highest of the Latin American countries, higher than Mexico, almost equal to the Bahamas.
Some may not agree with Cuba's political slant, but it seems to be working for them.

If it was within cruising range for me, I'd certainly be planning a visit.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 AM   #30
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
I went down for a month back in 1997 or 98,...can't remember which right now. 4 of us went on a friend's newly constructed 60 foot catamaran. It had its good times, and not so good times. The gov made a real effort to keep the tourist separated from the common Cuba people. The people were very friendly, but there std of living and the farm output was severely hampered by the old communist system.

We stayed at Marina Hemingway on two occasions. it was a fair distance away from Havana. Havana port was (is?) only for commercial vessels. I used a bike to get into and around the city of Havana (and that bike got stolen by a guy who befriended me for most of one day acting as a guide).

Went cruising along part of the coast and did some diving and exploring. But we were trailed by a Cuban gunboat that keep their distance,...just watching us.

I actually came back to Fla and bought a used VW dune buggy with the idea to ship it down there and do a 'land trip' with it. But other matters came up.

Always had the idea of a 'Swiss Family Robertson' tree house on an island in the Caribbean, ...thought one of the MANY small islands off Cuba might be a potential. But didn't see any that looked that good, and way too much officialdom. (I had thought at the time that Pres Clinton just might make a move towards normalization)

I looked up info on Cuba before that visit, and its seems to my recollection that Cuba is very nearly 900 miles long. It could stretch from the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay down to Daytona beach Fla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am no supporter of the current regime, I just don't understand the rationale of the embargo. FWIW, I think it is more sensible to follow the route your government has with its dealings with Vietnam. Trade and tourism can cut across government doctrine and heal old wounds over time.
I had thoughts that Clinton might make a big effort at normalizing our relations with Cuba. I had been working over in SE Asia and saw what was happening with Vietnam ( I was there 30 years before my trip to Cuba).....capitalization was drowning out communisms. Would have worked in Cuba as well. Our USA foreign policies can really be F-upped at times.
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Guru

City: Pensacola
I think the embargo applies to Imports. That is where the rubber meets the road and also explains why they still drive 1957 era vehicles.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #32
Guru

"Life over their isn't quite as bad as the US media makes it out to be,..."

I've seen the empty rafts. People are literally dying to leave.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Big New Marina

Somebody is preparing for the change.....

Big Marina
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #34
FF
Guru

The KEY item embargoed from Cuba is US financing.

They trade with the rest of the world , but mostly on a CA$H basis.

Unlike the Chinese they have no use for tech , only unlimited cash is of interest .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
I Have been to Cuba twice actually four times if you count sailing by

Although tourism is developed I would not call it well developed

Also was interesting to see the note in the latest passage maker about attempted Cuba event
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
I think the embargo applies to Imports. That is where the rubber meets the road and also explains why they still drive 1957 era vehicles.

Don't think the embargo explains the vehicles. Very few American built cars are imported into the other Caribbean countries. The Japanese and Korean companies dominate with a healthy representation from Europe.

Since the other Caribbean countries are able to provide non American cars to their populations the shortage of new cars in Cuba must have another reason, perhaps a decline in personal income. Cuba once had one of the highest standards of living in the Caribbean.

Marty
Bay Pelican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
I went to Cuba (legally) in January this year for 8 days, I loved the place and look forward to a day when the communist regime is done and gone...maybe someday.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #38
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
A quick side note

Diana is currently making her fifth attempt to swim from Hemmingway Marina to Key West. This has never been done. She was 28 on her first attempt. Today she is 64- which is awesome!! If interested, you can follow her here. Diana Nyad - The Swim
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Steve

Thanks after last one I really didnt think she would try again and did not know she was doing it now
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Steve

Thanks after last one I really didnt think she would try again and did not know she was doing it now
Me either! Interesting..........

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote