Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #1

City: Boynton Beach, FL
Cruising to Cuba?

I'm interested in cruising Cuba... whenever I can go ...legally...
So I'm doing my homework now. I figured I'd share whatever information I gather with everyone on the forum. So I'm planning a free webinar where I'll be asking questions of some boating-industry folks that are familiar with the ins and outs of Cuba cruising.
What questions would you want to ask them? I'll try to include your questions in the webinar as well. When I get it planned I'll post it for everyone to join (it'll be free).
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
The boating club TMCA (Texas Mariners Cruising Association) Is planning a cruise with over 100 folks, many using their own boats this summer. The paperwork is fairly straight forward but restrictions are there for duration and returning to the US before going anywhere else. I can't make it this year but am hoping to visit before too long.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
The stumbling block for many can be insurance. I've been there 3 times in the last 20 years and in each case the boat was uninsured while in Cuban waters.

Insurance is more readily available now but you may have to change policy holders to get it. And some companies will not issue a short term rider for say a one time trip.

Here's one way to keep track of many things involving Cuba.
http://cubajournal.co
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #4

City: Gainesville, FL
You might contact Ken Fickett at Mirage/Great Harbour. He's been three times and is pretty well versed on Cuba. Mirage's main number is 352-377-4167. Also, if you go to Free Cruising Guides, you can download Frank Virgintino's Cruising Guide to Cuba for free. Peter Swanson (past editor-in-chief of Passagemaker) is also a Cuba cruising aficionado and has done several lectures on the subject at TrawlerFest. These can be downloaded at Peter Swanson's Cuba (2 webinar recording package).
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
This blogger has information on their recent trip.

Commuter Cruiser — Info for Part-Time Cruisers and More!

As Capt Bill pointed out, everyone needs to make sure of their insurance. In fact, that's an issue in other countries. You need to just know anywhere you aren't covered. Also be very careful to comply with all US and Cuban requirements as if you're not there legally, it doesn't matter whether the policy covers the area or not, that automatically makes you not covered.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote