Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Portland, ON
Country: Canada
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Cruising the Bahamas

We are planning a 2 - 3 month cruise to the Bahamas. Does anyone have comments on must see locations and places to ignore. We will go to the Exumas in Feb then on to the Abacos. We would like a mixture of towns and secluded anchorages.
__________________
Advertisement

Scotfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotfree View Post
We are planning a 2 - 3 month cruise to the Bahamas. Does anyone have comments on must see locations and places to ignore. We will go to the Exumas in Feb then on to the Abacos. We would like a mixture of towns and secluded anchorages.
You're going to the very best of the Bahamas. For my money Nassau and Grand Bahama Island are not the true Bahamas. Get the Dodge Guide to the Abacos and Esplorer Charts. There are many, many anchorages. You will just use the ones that give you the most shelter from the wind at the time. It will be great cruising.

I think Capt. Chuck on Beach House is staging to go over very shortly. He will probably be posting about his trip. I recommend that you check out Active Captain as they have anchorages and reviews. A good resource.
__________________

__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 734
We spent 3 months cruising the Bahamas two years ago. In our opinion, by far the best places to visit were the Exumas (everywhere!!!), Eleuthera (Spanish Wells/Governor's Harbor), and Abacos (Hope Town/Man-o-War). Would not bother going down to Long Island again. Did not make it out to the Eastern islands but friends who did highly recommended the side trip.
As previously suggested, you really need to get a good cruising guide and the Explorer charts.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Captain K's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
You're going to the very best of the Bahamas. For my money Nassau and Grand Bahama Island are not the true Bahamas. Get the Dodge Guide to the Abacos and Esplorer Charts. There are many, many anchorages. You will just use the ones that give you the most shelter from the wind at the time. It will be great cruising.

I think Capt. Chuck on Beach House is staging to go over very shortly. He will probably be posting about his trip. I recommend that you check out Active Captain as they have anchorages and reviews. A good resource.
Hi Moonstruck--what is Active Captain and where can I find it?
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
This may be it. I don't recall the home page looking like this though.

https://activecaptain.com/
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
magicbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
This may be it. I don't recall the home page looking like this though.

https://activecaptain.com/
That's it. Just click on the interactive cruising guide tab.

Dave
__________________

__________________
Barnegat Light NJ or Nantucket MA
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012