Cruising the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotfree

We are planning a 2 - 3 month cruise to the Bahamas. Does anyone have comments on must see locations and places to ignore. We will go to the Exumas in Feb then on to the Abacos. We would like a mixture of towns and secluded anchorages.

We are planning a 2 - 3 month cruise to the Bahamas. Does anyone have comments on must see locations and places to ignore. We will go to the Exumas in Feb then on to the Abacos. We would like a mixture of towns and secluded anchorages.

You're going to the very best of the Bahamas. For my money Nassau and Grand Bahama Island are not the true Bahamas. Get the Dodge Guide to the Abacos and Esplorer Charts. There are many, many anchorages. You will just use the ones that give you the most shelter from the wind at the time. It will be great cruising.

I think Capt. Chuck on Beach House is staging to go over very shortly. He will probably be posting about his trip. I recommend that you check out Active Captain as they have anchorages and reviews. A good resource.

We spent 3 months cruising the Bahamas two years ago. In our opinion, by far the best places to visit were the Exumas (everywhere!!!), Eleuthera (Spanish Wells/Governor's Harbor), and Abacos (Hope Town/Man-o-War). Would not bother going down to Long Island again. Did not make it out to the Eastern islands but friends who did highly recommended the side trip.
As previously suggested, you really need to get a good cruising guide and the Explorer charts.

You're going to the very best of the Bahamas. For my money Nassau and Grand Bahama Island are not the true Bahamas. Get the Dodge Guide to the Abacos and Esplorer Charts. There are many, many anchorages. You will just use the ones that give you the most shelter from the wind at the time. It will be great cruising.

I think Capt. Chuck on Beach House is staging to go over very shortly. He will probably be posting about his trip. I recommend that you check out Active Captain as they have anchorages and reviews. A good resource.

Hi Moonstruck--what is Active Captain and where can I find it?

Back
Top Bottom