Cooking onboard: A Man, A Can, A Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captrigney

Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
images

We bought this book for our son when he left home. It's long since been tossed into another kind of can.

I am interested in any favorite recepes from the forum galley slaves related to cooking from (mostly) cans. They stow easily, last the season without refrigeration, and can be combined either in a crockpot or kettle in numerous ways to create some easy, hopefully tasty, and relatively healthy meals onboard.

Any Chef Boyardee's out there?

My wife's favorite is curry chicken salad sandwiches using canned chicken. Just add some mayo, curry powder and cut up grapes. I also love canned black beans - add some spices and chopped pepper and onion it goes great with chicken off the grill (combine in a tortilla for a nice healthy meal).

Salmon burgers using a can of salmon.

I love using my canned salmon but usually I end up just eating all the salmon from the jar as is. Its that west coast boy thingy.

However canned pink or sockeye off the shelf is what I had yesterday.

Same mix as beef burgers . Salmon, oats , egg, and what ever kind of seasoning you want.

Tossed into a bowl and mixed by hand. Patties created and cooked. Fry pan , BBQ , or my favorite, splashed over an open beach fire using a discarded steel fridge shelf.

Fast cook med heat.

Real easy to make.

Add some onion, lemon, pepper to the mix, or what ever you like with fish.

Place a pineapple on the fire about half an hour before the salmon burger and slice off some to add. BBQ pineapple MMMMMMMMM

K I am hungry. Not quite outa a can but close.

Canned mushroom soup (without added water of course) spread/heaped on toast; pepper added to taste.

Probably doesn't actually qualify as cooking.

Campbell's Beef & Barley soup eaten cold right out of the can is what I used to cruise on in small sailboats when I was a teenager. Could go for a couple of days on a couple of cans. Have since graduated to Lean Cuisine in the microwave, either at home or in the boat, when the Admiral is not around to provide.

Mmm, Mmm Good!

Attachments

• Campbell's.png
    Campbell's.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 422
We eat like kings on the boat but during storms here in Biloxi (before I had a generator for the fridge) we would use tuna, alfredo sauce and noodles for some bass add Tuna alfredo.

Spaghetti; I use the cheap Hunt's canned sauce, add some of my own spices, then add to ground up frozen sausage. Let the mess stew for a few hours, then enjoy!

To contribute to my own thread:

We have a rendezvous tomorrow at which we will prepare "Chandler Chicken Chili".

One can chili ready tomatoes
One can regular tomatoes
One can tomato sauce
One can kidney beans - maybe two, but we ARE sleeping on the boat:)
Two or three cans chicken breast
One sweet potato chopped fine
Water or beer as needed
Maybe a splash of vodka
Chopped onion for garnish
Taco chips for garnish

Heat until sweet potato is mushy

The Admiral wants to include a can of chopped kale or turnip greens but I'm trying to talk her out of that.

Cooking can be its own adventure!

My wife hates this stuff & I love it! Sandwiches, as a cheese and Spam plate, with eggs instead of bacon, etc. (Or right out of the can!)

Attachments

• Spam.jpg
    Spam.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Spam Ad.jpg
    Spam Ad.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 103
Wolf brand chili the best canned chili out there. Take a can without beans, stir in grated cheese to melt and eat with tortilla chips. Quick, cheap, and good. You can add onions or whatever garnishment you want. Many good recipes with it.

One of the Best Canned Chili Brands in America | Wolf Brand Chili

4 cans Campbels cream of chicken soup with canned chicken added poured over wide cooked noodles make a great chicken soup.

We also have a crock pot on board. Makes a great meal when travelling or at the dock.

Last edited:
My wife hates this stuff & I love it! Sandwiches, as a cheese and Spam plate, with eggs instead of bacon, etc. (Or right out of the can!)
[cue the Vikings...]Spam Spam Spam Spam...

I still like spam fried in an iron skillet for breakfast, a holdover from childhood camping trips. Same problem getting anyone else to eat it tho.

Obviously any canned meals work, from Spaghetti-O's to chili to canned Chow Mein dinners.

Buy pancake mix in the shaker bottle, then wash and refill with mix from a box for future use. Serve with bacon from the non-refrigerated box. You can add whatever fresh berries you might find. You can even make corn or clam fritters, just toss 'em in.

Hormel makes single-serving microwave dinners that don't need refrigeration.

Pop-tarts can be eaten un-toasted in a pinch.

We got good at this in our previous boat with the tiny, unreliable fridge. We're looking forward to expanding our menu now that we can carry more and keep it cool.

Fried Spam on white bread with Velvetta cheese. Now we're talking serious health food. Served with a lettuce leaf to really boost the vitamins:smitten:
images

Last edited:
For folks going off shore for the first time , pick soft food that tastes as good coming up as it did going down!:eek:

When we were cruising, my wife (ex-wife now, unfortunately) used to cut up carrots, cabbage and potatoes into chunks and steam them. Wonderful. You can also steam a whole sweet potato and it tastes as good as baked. Potato salad is always good. Mac and cheese is good and easy to fix.

We also ate a lot of dried beans (after being soaked and cooked, of course).

Y'all can have my share of the Spam, however, and welcome to it. :)

John

We like some of the Hormel ready to eat dishes. 60, or used to be 90, seconds in the microwave. Some of their Spam and sausage ones are good and somewhat spicy. We call the 90 second wonders.

Bob

Hundreds or even thousands of years hence, archaeologists will excavate sites along our coasts. It will be determined that our shores were inhabited as early as the 21st century by a tribe of seafaring nomadic people that had chronic indigestion.:hide:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom