Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
From Carabelle to Panama City, do most people take the inland ICW route or go outside if weather is nice.

The ICW route looks kind of interesting-- looks like you go through some swamps.

Are the shoals on the outside a big issue?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I have ususally done this the ICW inside route. Easy route and a fair amount of marinas. You can usually go this way in most weather conditions and has some nice things to look at. Also the shortest route. Can make it in a good day. After that you can jump outside at Panama City and run to Destin or Pensacola outside dependent on weather and what you want to do. The inland route is great though. Take it at what ever pace you want to.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #23
Guru

As far as the shoals on the outside I have always avoided going anywhere close to the shore if I go outside between Carabelle and Panama City. I have never ventured in to find out but what is on the charts is enough to keep me out of that area. Panama city to Destin and Pensacola no issue though.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #24
Guru

Ok. Thanks. I like the inside route idea. Want some scenery.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #25
Guru

If you happen to anchor in Saul Creek a little past Appachicola let me know how it is. You can see the reviews on Active Captain. Looks interesting and I always wanted to stop there but never had the time.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #26
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Ditto what Rogerh wrote above (about shoaly places along the stretch around Cape San Blas. The inside route is beautiful and interesting. Appalachicola is always worth a stop. From there, you run short way up the river, then hook a left to follow the ICW. Lake Wimico is a good example of what a lot of the Florida panhandle must have once looked like.

From the lake to East Bay (of St. Andrews Bay) it's mostly a dredged-out ditch. Shoals form on the insides of bends. If you draw four or more, watch your fatho and favor the outside of turns.

An alternative, just past White City heading westbound, is to run down the Gulf County Canal (straight as a rifle shot), come out at the old lumber port town of Port St. Joe, and head west in the Gulf from there. But, paralleling the coast along there the swells come mostly on the beam, so unless you really enjoy rocking and rolling, it can soon get old.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #27

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
An alternative, just past White City heading westbound, is to run down the Gulf County Canal (straight as a rifle shot), come out at the old lumber port town of Port St. Joe, and head west in the Gulf from there. But, paralleling the coast along there the swells come mostly on the beam, so unless you really enjoy rocking and rolling, it can soon get old.
This is a great suggestion. Anchor in St. Joseph bay for a day or two and go scalloping! St. Joe's marina is a very nice stop over if you prefer docks..
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
If you happen to anchor in Saul Creek a little past Appachicola let me know how it is. You can see the reviews on Active Captain. Looks interesting and I always wanted to stop there but never had the time.

Will do. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #29
Guru

Clearwater to Carabelle, then Panama City or Pensacola

Quote:
Ditto what Rogerh wrote above (about shoaly places along the stretch around Cape San Blas. The inside route is beautiful and interesting. Appalachicola is always worth a stop. From there, you run short way up the river, then hook a left to follow the ICW. Lake Wimico is a good example of what a lot of the Florida panhandle must have once looked like.

From the lake to East Bay (of St. Andrews Bay) it's mostly a dredged-out ditch. Shoals form on the insides of bends. If you draw four or more, watch your fatho and favor the outside of turns.

Will definitely stop for some oysters at Appalachicola.

Thanks for all the great details.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
But, paralleling the coast along there the swells come mostly on the beam, so unless you really enjoy rocking and rolling, it can soon get old.
No problem with rocking and rolling. I heard it was one of Cardude's favorite things to do on trip to Key West!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #31
Guru

Aren't you funny Larry.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
No problem with rocking and rolling. I heard it was one of Cardude's favorite things to do on trip to Key West!
Larry you are such a gator. Uh, instigator that is.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #33
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Damn Don-I knew I needed to move back down your way-up here in the PNW, the women come wrapped in about 4 layers of fleece!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Damn Don-I knew I needed to move back down your way-up here in the PNW, the women come wrapped in about 4 layers of fleece!
Don't go on Miami Beach until your doctor has checked your heart.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #35
Guru

Cardude, how are you doing on your journey? Where are you at these days?
Old 07-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #36
Guru

Boat is still Palmetto Fl.

I'm schedule to fly up this Friday the 17th and do the crossing to Carabelle the 18th or 19th or 20th depending on the weather.

Hope to be in Nola by the 24th.

Then maybe another 6 days to get to Rockport.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
If you stop in Appalachicola be sure to eat at Boss Oyster.

Boss Oyster | World Famous Oysters from Apalachicola Bay
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #38
Guru

Clearwater to Carabelle, then Panama City or Pensacola

Love that place. Definitely want to go back. Has been 10 years.

I would actually rather dock after crossing at Apalachacola. More to do. Is that like another 25 miles from the St George Sound inlet?

Is that inlet pretty strait forward? Trying to time it so I hit it around noonish.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #39
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
East Pass is pretty straight forward and very deep. There is a shoal on the Dog Island side that sticks out pretty far, but if you don't hug the beach before your turn into the pass you will be just fine.

Boss oyster is the best known spot in Apalach, and it is good, but try out Hole in The Wall, it's not as touristy and has just as good if not better food.

Sauls creek is very nice, though it may very well be buggy this time of year. There is not a lot of swing room but it is plenty deep.

Carrabelle is a great little twon as well, stay at C-Quarters. It is not so well known as Apalach, but is more of a locals place. The Fisherman's Wife has great seafood and Fathoms usually has a good band playing.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Breeze
Vessel Name: Branch Office
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa Mystic 46
If for some reason you end up outside, in the gulf, west of panama city but east of destin, and are thinking to sneak back in at destin be careful if there are rollers on an outgoing tide. that pass will stand up 4 foot swells to 8 to 12 footers fast. At that point you might want to just keep going to pensacola pass. Also, if the weather is nice, hang that left out of the ditch just past white city, and take that ditch out to port st joe, then punch out there, and go direct to Pensacola. If you need provisions at that point, there is a piggly wiggly two blocks from the port st joe marina. If weather does not look good after you roll out to the gulf at port st joe, then punch back in at panama city. There is a good overnight location just inside pensacola pass, its called fort mccray by us locals, but shows on google maps as robertson island. The north cut is the ICW, but the south is no longer a solid cut, so it gets filled up with weekend boats. Good deep protected water.
cmgreeniv is offline   Reply With Quote