Cdn dinghy in US waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
From Canada: I will be traveling the NY canals and the ICW this summer/fall in my Albin 25. Tagging along will be my hard shell 8.5-ft dinghy c/w 2.5 hp motor. The dinghy has a number on the side - NJ #### AA but I do not know the make and do not have a Bill of Sale although I could always type one up I suppose. In Canada, a vessel under 10 hp is not required to be licensed.

Are there national or state requirements that mean I should licence this dinghy in Canada?

Registration requirements vary by state. Rather than meet the state requirements, it would probably be easier to license it at home. With a Canadian registry, I doubt that the local water cops would show much interest.

You don't want to have it tagging along in the locks, get it aboard. We never use our dinghy in the canals, it's on the roof and our mast is down, so it stays there until the mast is raised. Never really had occasion to wish it was accessible.

Safe travels!

thanks Maerin. I will have it on the swim platform on weaver davits.

without a bill of sale you will not be able to register it in Ontario. Best action is to remove the NJ numbers and put a Canadian flag decal on with TT ######. And carry the Cdn boating regs showing that under 10 hp is exempt. USCG stopped me in Wilson NY and it was fine with them.

Back
Top Bottom