cape horn in a DeFever 40 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfloyd4445

Guru
just read about a couple doin the horn in a d passagemaker. Anyone out there done such a thing? I'm thinking of buying a trawler maybe a defever

Whether or not this couple exists and whether or not they make it wherever they are going, if you are buying a boat to go around Cape Horn then don't buy a Defever. I dearly love my 43 but that's not what it was designed for.

The couple existed, and they did “round” the Cape. Not it the way most sailors think, but rather an overnight passage from the Magellan straights to the Cape and back.

Their story was the cover story of a issue of PassageMaker magazine. I’ve still got a copy.

I looked closely at the pictures of their boat. It’s not a DeFever 40 Passage maker, but rather a Taiwanese plywood decked copy. Such a trip is not my cup of tea, in a DeFever or any other boat.

They have passed on

RIP sailors.

Mike

[
I looked closely at the pictures of their boat. It’s not a DeFever 40 Passage maker, but rather a Taiwanese plywood decked copy. Such a trip is not my cup of tea, in a DeFever or any other boat.

They have passed on

RIP sailors.

Mike[/QUOTE]

what happened to them? The article was from 2003. Ths passage maker is were i read the article.

I'm getting close to buying a defever 40, 1977 with twin chrysler 130 D's to use for fishing and maybe some costal cruising from Coos Bay Oregon to the delta down south of the puget sound area. I really like the lay out of the D 40-41 passagemaker down east models. what do you guys think of them for bar crossings craft? oregon has some nasty bars and so does northern ca.

They died of old age ailments, on land. So will most of us.

Never been to the west coast, don’t know anything about bar crossings.

No DeFever PassageMakers were built with Chrysler engines as far as I know, and I know a lot about the DeFever 40.

Check the pedigree of the boat you intend to buy carefully.

Mike

It depends on the weather. The time I visited Cape Horn, on a cruise ship one January, it was calm but foggy, reminding me of the northern coast of California.

They died of old age ailments, on land. So will most of us.

Never been to the west coast, don’t know anything about bar crossings.

No DeFever PassageMakers were built with Chrysler engines as far as I know, and I know a lot about the DeFever 40.

Check the pedigree of the boat you intend to buy carefully.

Mike

this one may be a downeast model not a passage maker.

u do......big smile....thats gettin bigger....

first question" What is the diference between the passagemaker and the downeast?
2# what do i need to look out for on an older defever 40-41? The one i fell in love with is solid but needs teak deck work and has those twin chryslers

The one i fell in love with is solid but needs teak deck work and has those twin chryslers

My best advice is not to fall in love with any boat until the deal is struck and it passes surveys. It'll save yourself a lot of frustrations. :flowers:

My best advice is not to fall in love with any boat until the deal is struck and it passes surveys. It'll save yourself a lot of frustrations. :flowers:

thanks. thats good advice. I have fallen in love with the basic layout and the basic design of Defevers this size not any particular boat, yet

The on line logs from Nordhavn 46 Egret talk aobut meeting a DeFever in southern Atlantic waters. The DeFever owners were supposedly of sound mind. I read the online logs of a DeFever 49 that went from west coast US to England via the Panama Canal. This past September, a fellow I know delivered his DeFever 60 from San Diego area to Seattle, non stop. All sorts of boats are out there floating around - not too easy to gossip on this Forum and cruise seriously at the same time, which is maybe why it is hard to comprehend a DeFever rounding Cape Horn.

The on line logs from Nordhavn 46 Egret talk aobut meeting a DeFever in southern Atlantic waters. The DeFever owners were supposedly of sound mind. I read the online logs of a DeFever 49 that went from west coast US to England via the Panama Canal. This past September, a fellow I know delivered his DeFever 60 from San Diego area to Seattle, non stop. All sorts of boats are out there floating around - not too easy to gossip on this Forum and cruise seriously at the same time, which is maybe why it is hard to comprehend a DeFever rounding Cape Horn.

no way i would round the cape in anything under three hundred feet long. But i do know that once one really gets to know a particular boat he can make it do things with ease that would davey jones most others. I saw a guy flirting with rocks in a beer can hulled 23 footer off the lighthouse at Coos bay get caught off gaurd and picked up by a swell which deposited him smack on a rock. He didnt sink and appeared to be functional but I'll bet he had a nice dent.

no way i would round the cape in anything under three hundred feet long. But i do know that once one really gets to know a particular boat he can make it do things with ease that would davey jones most others. I saw a guy flirting with rocks in a beer can hulled 23 footer off the lighthouse at Coos bay get caught off gaurd and picked up by a swell which deposited him smack on a rock. He didnt sink and appeared to be functional but I'll bet he had a nice dent.

I've been there several times....on a ship around 310 feet long and there were lots of other vessels around much smaller that I would have rather been on in that area.

How often do you reread your posts after someone comments on them????:socool:

I've been there several times....on a ship around 310 feet long and there were lots of other vessels around much smaller that I would have rather been on in that area.

How often do you reread your posts after someone comments on them????:socool:
I try and respond asap but sometimes i am out of the area or fishing, farming, fixing fences, splitting hives extracting honey etc.
Why?

I try and respond asap but sometimes i am out of the area or fishing, farming, fixing fences, splitting hives extracting honey etc.
Why?

not exactly what I was getting at...thus making my point...rearead your, then my posts.;)

The difficulty in rounding the Horn isn't the Horn itself but the thousand plus miles of very remote cruising down the east coast of South America. There is little in the way of provisions or help down there. As to the Horn, you pick your window. I wouldn't hesitate in our DeFever if that was part of my route.

The difficulty in rounding the Horn isn't the Horn itself but the thousand plus miles of very remote cruising down the east coast of South America. There is little in the way of provisions or help down there. As to the Horn, you pick your window. I wouldn't hesitate in our DeFever if that was part of my route.

u wouldn't.....naw, u would u would sit and watch the weather radar untill u had taken on enough intestonal fortitude then you would have said, YAHOO!!! we're off and push the throttles forward......

I have in the past studied waters for days, rivers and bars mostly, before decideing upon the best way given my equipment and experiance to navigate them. So far this has worked. That said the horn with its fifty sixty foot waves out of the blue has knocked down many a tall ship unexpectedly so it would always be a gamble

To do this in a 9knts vessel, my hat is off to any that have accomplished this feat

No one in a smaller trawler would go out into the Southern Ocean unless they had to...there is an inside Pacific Northwest in places.

My 4 passages between Antarctica and the Horn were like glass...the trip before mine they lost a 39 foot landing craft off a deck some 20-30 feet above the waterline....yes ic can be bad but it also is navigable by smaller vessels if one would rather brave open ocean instead of a calm, scenic inland passage.

Stop in Punta Arenas as their Crab Bisque w/ cheese (like french onion soup made with King Crab) is great and have a beer to wash it down ...it was only a couple of bucks when I was there...even if it quadrupled to $10 it's still a bargain...:thumb:

Last edited:
No one in a smaller trawler would go out into the Southern Ocean unless they had to...there is an inside Pacific Northwest in places.

Stop in Punta Arenas as their Crab Bisque w/ cheese (like french onion soup made with King Crab) is great and have a beer to wash it down ...it was only a couple of bucks when I was there...even if it quadrupled to $10 it's still a bargain...:thumb:

in a heartbeat:) but not likely in this lifetime

Why??? Because you won't spring for that 300 foot plus expedition trawler???? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom