Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
CA Delta Pics

Got the chance to break away for a couple nights with the Admiral, so we headed to Village West Marina for an nice dinner at Garlic Bros and a fresh load of diesel.* Topped off with $3.46/gal fuel, then settled in at the empty guest dock.

After a nice breakfast at Bob's, we checked out the condition of a friend's boat for him since he got the dreaded call from his marina that his boat was listing.* On our way, we found patches of hyacinth covering the full width of the channel near the Hilton House. We spent a good part of the day dodging the larger clusters.(All turned out to be fine.)*

We then headed to a favorite 'lagoon' on the Mokelumne for a quiet evening on the hook. As the sun dusk fell upon us, snowy white egrets flew in to roost in the surrounding trees by the dozens!* By the time it was dark, there must have been 100-150 white birds speckling the dark trees.* Unfortunately, the pics from my cameraphone didn't capture the moment.* The next morning we awoke to a pleasant surprise of unforecast rain showers.* It was a nice change of pace from the warm weather and besides, the boat needed a bath!

With all the discussion of laptops on board lately, I couldn't resist a panorama shot of my hodge-podge of helm* 'instrumentation' and a couple closeups of the 3 main screens taken at approximately the same location.* I really love the 3D bottom contour display on the Maptech software.* Together, they provide me with all the vital nav and depth info I need.

Finally, sharing a Mokelumne River bridge opening with an opposite direction barge.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 09:51:19 PM
Attached Thumbnails
photo1009.jpg   photo1008.jpg   photo1007.jpg   photo1006.jpg   photo1005.jpg  

photo1004.jpg   photo1003.jpg   photo0995.jpg   photo0993.jpg   photo0990.jpg  

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
CA Delta Pics

One of these days I'll get to the Delta.

Meanwhile, not*in the CA Delta:

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 09:41:36 AM
Attached Thumbnails
232323232fp73462_nu=3363_33__57;_wsnrcg=373955_2__336nu0mrj.jpg  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
RE: CA Delta Pics

Good shots, Al.* Vickie and I will be headed your way toward the end of next week.* Hopefully the weather will continue to shine.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*Mark: What is that photo all about? Where was it taken at? It looks like it has small scale draw bridges?
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
TF Site Team

Carl, I use Epifanes high gloss clear varnish. It's what the PO used and I have just continued the same. I have more work to tackle this fall...thanks for reminding me.

Ray, I'll be out there on 10/22-23 fishing near Rio Vista and spending the night at Delta Marina. If you're in the area, give a shout. I'd love to see your GB 42.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Al,

We'll be in the Delta from Thursday the 20th until noon on Sunday the 23rd.* Not sure where we will be on Thursday and Friday (Giorgiana Slough ?) but will most likely be near the Rio Vista end of*Steamboat Slough on Saturday and Sunday.* I'll send you a PM with my cell number.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Master and Commander

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:markpierce wrote:
*Mark: What is that photo all about? Where was it taken at? It looks like it has small scale draw bridges?

*That's on a canal*in a picturesque Holland*town.* Yes, those are draw bridges.* Shown to "counter" FlyWright's bridge photo.* Didn't get a chance to examine their mechanisms closely, but believe they are powered by human muscle.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Master and Commander

CA Delta Pics

About as close as I've gotten to the Delta so far (west end of Suisun Bay, it starts at the east end).* Isn't that FlyWright taking a photo in my direction?* (Rhetorical question.)* Thanks again for the photos, Al.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 03:45:03 PM
Attached Thumbnails
img_1023.jpg   img_1032.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
TF Site Team

My pleasure, Mark!! My boat's so slow that it took me a long time to find a powerboat I could pass, so once I did, I had to circle and take lots of pics! :-D

It was a fun rendezvous...hope to see you up on the freshwater end of the Delta soon!!

I like your bridge better...

Bridge trivia: How many hp is the electric motor that lifts Threemile Slough Bridge?

(25 hp)
Attached Thumbnails
dscf0815.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Didn't get a chance to examine their mechanisms closely, but believe they are powered by human muscle.
*On the canals in the UK these bridges are called lift bridges.* They are operated one of two ways.* The most common is with a manually-cranked hydraulic pump on the frame that operates a hydraulic cylinder attached between the top of the frame and one of the overhead balance beams.* There are counterweights attached to the ends of the balance beams so the force needed to raise and lower the bridge is relatively low.

The other method is purely brute force by pulling down on the angled balance beams attached to the bridge to raise the deck.* To lower the deck back down, you push up on the balance beams.

Both types are illustrated below.* I did not take these photos but we have*operated*and been through*three of the four bridges illustrated over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
peak forest bridge.jpg   drinkwater lift bridge.jpg   hydraulic lift bridge.jpg   montgomery lift bridge.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Master and Commander

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:

Bridge trivia: How many hp is the electric motor that lifts Threemile Slough Bridge?

(25 hp)
*Not many.* I had guessed 50.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Master and Commander

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
...*My boat's so slow that it took me a long time to find a powerboat I could pass, so once I did, I had to circle and take lots of pics! :-D

*Come to think of it, I've never passed a powerboat going in the same direction, but I have had sailboats pass me.

After our rendevous, I couldn't keep up with you heading to Angel Island.* You were completely out of sight when I turned up Mare Island Strait.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1354.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Master and Commander

CA Delta Pics

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
*Is it the forward-slant windows or the Dutch doors?

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 06:27:30 PM
Attached Thumbnails
sails under suisun bridges.jpg   dsc02698.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
TF Site Team

CA Delta Pics

Quote:
markpierce wrote:FlyWright wrote:
*Is it the forward-slant windows or the Dutch doors?

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 06:27:30 PM

I'd have to give my nod to the forward slant windshield.* That just does something for me I can't explain on the forum!!

We both know no one can compete with a Sail Tug, Mark.* I've given up trying...I only wish that someday I might merit the designation as Master and Commander.*

Senior Member sounds so...so...forgetful...so cast aside...like I should be off drooling in my bilge while forgetting what I intended to do.*** Hey wait a minute...I think that's me!!*

...never mind....

-- Edited by FlyWright on Wednesday 12th of October 2011 09:00:13 PM
Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I love these Delta pics. I've spent a lot of time on the Snohomish River and slough system. Lived on a float house going to college in Everett. When I had gas for the kicker I' buzz every corner of every bit of water available. That would be a trip for us to come down there. Is there any moorage available? Prolly not. Looks to me like the Bay is quite windy. I'm surprised Mark says he's not been to the delta. I thought the Bay and the delta was all there was to it. Let's see more pics.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #16
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
*I'm surprised Mark says he's not been to the delta. I thought the Bay and the delta was all there was to it.
*I've limited my outings to test runs of several hours each.

For the last few months, the Coot has been in the KKMI shipyard in Richmond (they aren't fast) to address a number of issues.* Right now it is on the hard for re-engineering/re-building the anchor-chain locker drain (locker floods when speed exceeds six knots and caused the bow thruster to short out) and trying to solve*a "singing" propeller issue.
Attached Thumbnails
6img_1220.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Search singing propellers on TF. I think we had a thread on that and from by memory and previous experience I think singing comes mostly from too sharp of a trailing edge. For efficiency I think a smooth leading edge and trailing edge is more important than sharpness. Round both and make very smooth. I think that's the best but it's just from memory. Chain locker drains frequently have faired deflectors that help keep the water out. If you have one it may be oriented too far down. But the bow wave rides UP the hull not down. I've seen many of these deflectors angled down. I would guess the open part should be aft.*
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #18
Master and Commander

CA Delta Pics

The drain exit is flared toward the stern but there is no venturi effect.* Water floods in when the bow wave rises above the bottom of the chain locker.* Current plan is to move the exit hole rearward, out from under the bow wave.* ...* The yard is having an expert examine the propeller.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 13th of October 2011 04:41:47 PM
Attached Thumbnails
img_1476.jpg   img_1478.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: -

One would think given the cost of a decent new boat these days that when one took delivery there would be zero defects, particularly design defects. But that is apparently not the case.

When we bought our then-25 year old GB in 1998 we were given temporary moorage in one of the GB dealer's slips in Bellngham. Right next to us was a brand new GB52 which cost very close to if not more than $1 million. That boat had more problems than ours did. A lot of them were minor, but one major one was that the buyer had ordered the boat with smaller-than-stock engines in an attempt to save fuel. As a result the boat did not trim properly for the deck drains. So the shipwright for the dealer spent a huge amount of time reworking and relocating the entire deck drain system so rainwater and spray wouldn't puddle on the deck and not go anywhere. All this work was performed under warranty, but I was amazed at how many problems and deficiencies there were.

A number of years ago I was hired to co-write a coffee table book for a 120' corporate yacht. In the course of my research I asked the captain if it was more work and expense to maintain his boat, which was built in 1966, than the brand new mega-yacht at the neighboring dock. He said no, and that in fact it was most likely much less expensive to maintain his yacht despite the thirty-plus year age difference. The reason, he said, is that all his yacht's problems, quirks and tricks had long-since been exposed and fixed or solved. Where over on the new yacht they were just getting started. He said that the new yacht--- which was built by one of the most reputable yards in the world---- had a permanent presence on board of people fixing stuff. Many of the problems that cropped up incurred massive expenses, like removing generators and what not to be able to get to something.

So there can be more benefit to buying an older boat than just the lower price.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

thanks for all the great photos Al!* Matt and I are already trying to figure out how many months the boat will spend up there next year.* I'm hoping for six.* We'd love to meet your wife next year, as well.* I hope we can meet up again.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote