Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I guess you accomplish most of the same as lifting it to the deck, but just curious, you have it half way, why not lift it the rest of the way? It's just an extra two or three minutes.

I guess in general for those who do have the ability to lift to a deck, I'm a bit confused as to why they don't do it. Maybe some lifts are more trouble than others but we just don't find lifting it up and putting it back down to be a problem.
Lifting or splashing the dinghy to this height is a one person job with the remote. Lena can do it by her self and it serves our purpose of getting it out of the water.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Lifting or splashing the dinghy to this height is a one person job with the remote. Lena can do it by her self and it serves our purpose of getting it out of the water.
And you have no problem with it swinging?

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
We just spent 5 weeks at the mooring field in Boot Key. During that time I've heard no mention on any thefts. Any problems are known through the fleet the next morning on the daily net. I don't doubt it happened as described. Boot Key is a great place to stay, just be diligent.
I just spent five weeks in the mooring field at Boot Key also and didn’t hear a single word about any thefts. It certainly would be on the net every day if there was any problems.

We did had a 30+kt blow one night and they were pulling runaway dinks out of the mangroves for the next couple of days. KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And you have no problem with it swinging?
No. At a minimum, the stern is secured to the aft cleat. At anchor, the bow is additionally secured to the mid-ship cleat.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Lifting our 700# Boston Whaler is a snap. Settling it into its custom made chocks is another matter. It must be done precisely and I wind up having to lie down on the boat deck to muscle it into place while the Admiral runs the crane. (Trust me, I never lie under the dinghy, just off to the side.)

I am trying to "invent" a means of guiding the tender onto the chocks without the effort I currently need to expend. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post

We did had a 30+kt blow one night and they were pulling runaway dinks out of the mangroves for the next couple of days. KJ
Amazing how many times I've heard "somebody stole my dinghy". On the lake it use to be just "someone stole my jon boat". Then they were located where they'd floated ashore and the person still swore someone had to do it, that it couldn't be they just didn't secure it properly. Now dinghies do get stolen as do their outboards. But most of the time that happens the manner in which they were secured leaves something to be desired.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #27

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I hang mine like Larry on Hobo. The trick is to bring the center of the lift inboard a foot or two. This exerts a inward pulling force enough to keep it from swinging, even with moderate roll.

Scott
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Dye packs are way more fun
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #29

City: Oakland,Ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Lifting our 700# Boston Whaler is a snap. Settling it into its custom made chocks is another matter. It must be done precisely and I wind up having to lie down on the boat deck to muscle it into place while the Admiral runs the crane. (Trust me, I never lie under the dinghy, just off to the side.)

I am trying to "invent" a means of guiding the tender onto the chocks without the effort I currently need to expend. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Howard
I worked a boat that had. A whaler on the deck. Easier than trying to land it precisely on the center of the chocks was to land it off center intentionally, then lift the rail to make the boat drop into place. You're not lifting the entire boat, just tilting it up until it slips into the chocks.
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutarious View Post
I worked a boat that had. A whaler on the deck. Easier than trying to land it precisely on the center of the chocks was to land it off center intentionally, then lift the rail to make the boat drop into place. You're not lifting the entire boat, just tilting it up until it slips into the chocks.
Even custom made chocks are often not made with placing the boat in mind. I'm going to use an analogy to boat trailers. At one time they held boats fine but were a pain to get a boat on. Then there were float on and drive on trailers. Look at how most bass boat trailers are. Aids on all of them to center the boat.

95% of the chocks I've seen were designed to be non obtrusive, pretty, and either removable or at least to look good when no boat was on them. Weaver has some interesting swivel chocks. UMT marine has a tremendous variety of chock styles. Chocks should self position the boat. If you're within a few inches it should slide right into place. The number one issue in design should be the ease of removing and replacing the boat. It's funny that I've seen better working chocks used on swim platforms than on decks. For instance, back to trailers, rollers became popular and there are roller chocks for swim platforms.

Here is one example of a chock for a more complex tender hull than most but one that can't be missed. http://www.umtmarine.com/cranes-chocks/stainless That one happens to be in stainless but doesn't have to be.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #31
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:

Howard
Have you got a picture of the current chocks? It's really tough to envision something when we don't know what your dealing with.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Have you got a picture of the current chocks? It's really tough to envision something when we don't know what your dealing with.
Yes, that would help. It might be a minor thing that can be added.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #33
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I will post a picture of the chocks tomorrow. They are made to exactly match the contour of the Whaler's bottom including the running strakes.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I will post a picture of the chocks tomorrow. They are made to exactly match the contour of the Whaler's bottom including the running strakes.
I suspect that's the problem. It does make them better support and makes the whaler sit perfectly when underway, but due to the design they also have surfaces on which the boat can catch. Anxious to see.

Now, I don't know if it worked or helped or not, but I did see one case where an owner had made marks on the crane as to exactly how it should be positioned to drop the boat.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If your dinghy is of significant value, why not put a Spot Hug under the console, wired to the battery. That way, you know where it is, and if aboard, others can know where you are as well. It has low power draw so would not run the battery down.
findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=113

As far as dinghy chocks, why not put two vertical posts on the inboard side of the chocks and use them to align the dinghy when you're lowering it on the chocks. A mark on the hull of the dink and against both posts and you're ok to lower away.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #36
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
If your dinghy is of significant value, why not put a Spot Hug under the console, wired to the battery. That way, you know where it is, and if aboard, others can know where you are as well. It has low power draw so would not run the battery down.
findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=113
Good suggestion. But according to the web page: "*This product is no longer manufactured,
but is still supported by SPOT."
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #37
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
OK, didn't see that.

I guess you could mount a regular spot tracker device somewhere and hook it to the battery?

There are other sat trackers but none were as inexpensive as the spot hug. Most other systems use GSM radios rather than GlobalStar satellite, so don't work internationally.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #38
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
OK, didn't see that.

I guess you could mount a regular spot tracker device somewhere and hook it to the battery?

There are other sat trackers but none were as inexpensive as the spot hug. Most other systems use GSM radios rather than GlobalStar satellite, so don't work internationally.
The problem with a regular SPOT is it automatically shuts off and you have to reset it. It needs a clear view of the sky. And it can only be externally powered by a USB jack.

The GOST system or something like it might be s better alternative. Or on larger tenders AIS.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote