Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #41
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Never use AP entering/exiting inlets and marinas.
Also remember to turn off engine synchronizer and radar.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #42

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
interesting...My ancient Wagner just confuses me...cant see me ever trusting an AP...anyone want to but mine? I would like to remove it.

Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #43

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
I was told there might be collectors interested...30+ years old...
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #44

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
A number of years back, I was piloting a relatively new (to me) boat across the Straits of Georgia in a building stern-quarting sea. The boat was a pretty good sized flushdeck with a lot of freeboard and shallow draft and it was getting a bit windy as well. The boat had a bigger than life old Bendix AP box in the wheelhouse. When I bought the boat, the PO told me the thing didn't work anymore and that he had a mechanic disconnect it. I took that at face value and never tried the system or investigated further. Back to the Straits--about the time the swells were in the 4'-6' range and it was getting interesting, I accidently bumped the power switch on the unit--if you have never seen one of these in action mid Straits in lumpy water is not the time to find out it still works. The first thing it was go hard to port, then it went hard to starboard then it centered up. It jerked the wheel out of my hands which hurt my wrist, the boat started a roll and knocked me off my feet. It was uncomfortable feeling the boat try to claw its way around. I was lucky I was able to switch it off and after what seemed like hours, was able to get back to the normal side of dealing with a quartering sea. I learned 3 lessons--never trust what a PO said about equipment on a boat--check it out yourself-- always put the safety pin in the fridge door before you leave the dock--and note to self, pack extra skivvies.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #45
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poach View Post
A number of years back, I was piloting a relatively new (to me) boat across the Straits of Georgia in a building stern-quarting sea. The boat was a pretty good sized flushdeck with a lot of freeboard and shallow draft and it was getting a bit windy as well. The boat had a bigger than life old Bendix AP box in the wheelhouse. When I bought the boat, the PO told me the thing didn't work anymore and that he had a mechanic disconnect it. I took that at face value and never tried the system or investigated further. Back to the Straits--about the time the swells were in the 4'-6' range and it was getting interesting, I accidently bumped the power switch on the unit--if you have never seen one of these in action mid Straits in lumpy water is not the time to find out it still works. The first thing it was go hard to port, then it went hard to starboard then it centered up. It jerked the wheel out of my hands which hurt my wrist, the boat started a roll and knocked me off my feet. It was uncomfortable feeling the boat try to claw its way around. I was lucky I was able to switch it off and after what seemed like hours, was able to get back to the normal side of dealing with a quartering sea. I learned 3 lessons--never trust what a PO said about equipment on a boat--check it out yourself-- always put the safety pin in the fridge door before you leave the dock--and note to self, pack extra skivvies.
Did you buy the PO a drink after that?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #46

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Did you buy the PO a drink after that?

Didn't think it was appropriate to suggest it. PO deceased by then.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Patterson, LA
Vessel Name: Last Tango
Vessel Model: Ocean 40 + 2 Trawler Yacht
Nice ending.

On Last Tango, while transiting the ICW, I turned the helm over to my wife, telling her I would take the helm at the lower helm station. I forgot that I had it on AP. When I got below, all looked fine, I made a fine adjustment to course (to no avail and I didn't check) and made me a new cup of coffee. When I looked forward, we were off course, I knew what was wrong and confirmed by swinging the wheel, and took off to the flybridge. - My wife said 'she won't turn!'

Lesson Learned - Never turn over the helm without ensuring that the new helmsperson knows what is going on. - Our helm on our sailboat overrides the AP. On our trawler it doesn't. ---KNOW your equipment.

Last Tango is offline   Reply With Quote