Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 AM   #21
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
After an enjoyable stay in Tarpon Springs with a full load of fuel we are off. With the great weather and a full moon conditions look very favorable for a day crossing. See you on the other side
__________________
Advertisement

Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #22
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
absolutely beautiful up in the panhandle this AM, Destin area. Extreemly clear. Have a great voyage.
__________________

Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloxi Jim View Post
After an enjoyable stay in Tarpon Springs with a full load of fuel we are off. With the great weather and a full moon conditions look very favorable for a day crossing. See you on the other side
Fingers crossed for a pleasant trip across, and let us know how it went after you get over here on my side.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #24
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
Where did you stay in Tarpon?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
We made it. It started out a little rolly with a quartering sea. After a few adjustments to course, speed and trim it was better. After that it turned to glass. We left F &Y fuel dock at 7:10 and were headed into Gov Cut at about 7 pm. I was so glad it was high tide. We had less than a foot under our wheels. Favor the green range markers! Off to eat. Will post mote later.
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
Rogerh we stayed at the wall in town just before the city marina. We did not have pre arranged dockage, long story, and just ended up there. Called the number on the sign and got Sponge-A-Rama. No one else would answer the phone after 5 on Saturday. Had to wait until Monday to refuel but f&y made it worth while
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Great! Glad all was well. Assume you are in Apalachicola now. Nice town. Best way from there (in my opinion) is to take the ICW from Apalach over to Port St. Joe (have to turn down a side canal from the ICW to get to Port St. Joe) and then run outside over to Panama City. Lake Winoma between Apalach and Port St. Joe is shallow, but stay in the middle of the markers and it should OK. ICW from Port St. Joe to Panama City is a very ugly ditch, which is why I would go outside. Also lots of barge traffic and not much room to pass.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
Jim, Glad you made it and all is well. If you get over our way on your way back come and anchor in Boggy Bayou accross from Destin. We also have a nice marina in the back of the Bayou called North Light. We can hook up with you and buy you guys a drink or dinghy up and bring a drink. Rog
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #29
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,607
Glad to see you had a good crossing, we always enjoy Apalachicola and Port St Joe.

I saw this thread late, but, here is an interesting Gulf of Mexico weather site for future voyages. Below the first chart on the "MWX-pro control planel click on the, Regional Annimations Gulf of Mexico wave height icon, for entire Gulf animation out several days

Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)

We are visiting Sandestin, unfortunately by land, there was a pretty bad thunderstorm passing over about 6AM.
__________________
Steve W.
http://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloxi Jim View Post
We left F &Y fuel dock at 7:10 and were headed into Gov Cut at about 7 pm. I was so glad it was high tide. We had less than a foot under our wheels. Favor the green range markers!
That is the second report that I have seen lately that the Cut may be shoaling. I think that since they completed the new bridge over to St. George Island, which has a 65' clearance, and which allows people to enter/exit the ICW using the deep water entrance between Dog Island and St. George Island, that they have been neglecting the Cut somewhat.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Great! Glad all was well. Assume you are in Apalachicola now. Nice town. Best way from there (in my opinion) is to take the ICW from Apalach over to Port St. Joe (have to turn down a side canal from the ICW to get to Port St. Joe) and then run outside over to Panama City. Lake Winoma between Apalach and Port St. Joe is shallow, but stay in the middle of the markers and it should OK. ICW from Port St. Joe to Panama City is a very ugly ditch, which is why I would go outside. Also lots of barge traffic and not much room to pass.
That sounds like a plan. We will re-provision today and leave in the morning
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Jim, Glad you made it and all is well. If you get over our way on your way back come and anchor in Boggy Bayou accross from Destin. We also have a nice marina in the back of the Bayou called North Light. We can hook up with you and buy you guys a drink or dinghy up and bring a drink. Rog
Rogerh, sounds good. We have not laid out a plan from here but will let you know.
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post

That is the second report that I have seen lately that the Cut may be shoaling. I think that since they completed the new bridge over to St. George Island, which has a 65' clearance, and which allows people to enter/exit the ICW using the deep water entrance between Dog Island and St. George Island, that they have been neglecting the Cut somewhat.
I called Tow Boat US for local knowledge and their response was "favor the green markers we had 3 groundings this weekend. They stopped dredging that area I guess they are going to let it shoal up until no one can use it". It's Carrabelle for me from now on
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #34
Veteran Member
 
City: Gulfport
Country: USA
Vessel Name: La Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 1991 48 Californian
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 26
I believe you are right Jwnall!
Biloxi Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #35
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
We touched coming through there about a year ago. We did not know to favor the green side. No damage but it sure got our attention.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloxi Jim View Post
I called Tow Boat US for local knowledge and their response was "favor the green markers we had 3 groundings this weekend. They stopped dredging that area I guess they are going to let it shoal up until no one can use it". It's Carrabelle for me from now on
Thanks for the current info. TowBoat generally knows these things! :-) I passed the info on to some other people. Thanks again.
__________________

__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012