Old 05-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Have a great and safe trip!

Hope you catch a few on the way down.

I can't believe you are not going to the San Blas on the way down. Fantastic cruising!

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #22

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Yes, we will cruise Panama from Bocas del Toro to San Blas, then onto Columbia by end of hurricane season. From there....thinking Puerto Rico, then down eastern Caribbean to Grenada or Trini for following hurricane season.

Rods will be out! Sometimes its a little hard depending on sleep requirements, depends how rought the seas are.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Fair winds and calm seas.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #24

Bill,

FYI, Providencia is an island off of Nicaragua. Between Bay islands of Honduras and Panama. It is just north of San Andrea, also Colombian owned.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 05-30-2016, 12:21 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
Bill,

FYI, Providencia is an island off of Nicaragua. Between Bay islands of Honduras and Panama. It is just north of San Andrea, also Colombian owned.
Thanks. The name rang a bell but I didn't figure that out till I saw your SPOT location.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #26

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Bill,

Looks like Sealife in now in Providencia! What a great adventure! Hope to read about their passage soon.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #27

Well, we made it. Only one "pirate boat" scare. Weather didn't entirely cooperate. We have initiated check in. Going to drink lots of rum and sleep now.

More later....

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #28

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Hi Scott,

I love you trip but going this route doesn't that mean that you fight constantly against wind, waves and current?

I keep on following your trip, i am in the progress of planning a (sailboat) voyage from Florida to the dutch ABC islands and Trinidad & Tobago.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #29

Yes it does! Having done everything else in my life backwards it just made sense though....But any easting in the caribbean is a pain anyway. So east thru leeward islands or off South America it all sucks, which is why most sail past Bermuda then turn south to Virgins. The only REAL disadvantage to my route is the north flowing current from here to Florida. Finally done with that. As for wind and waves, we try to do passages when both are as low as possible. Having an efficient trawler has made this much nicer than on a sailboat I assume.

The original reason for this route was timing. My wife got Key West for the month of December as part of the deal to make this voyage. So leaving Key West in January, your options are extremely limited. Fighting East a couple hundred miles with constant cold fronts just didnt make sense. So we dropped south as fast as possible to minimize cold front exposure.

The next trick is getting from Panama to Grenada for next hurricane season. I think we will do Columbia to Puerto Rico and then down windwards. Most seem to think that jump is a bit crazy. Still figuring it out as Colombia seems constantly windy, and that passage will be about a day or twolonger than my wife would like to tolerate....

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Yes it does! Having done everything else in my life backwards it just made sense though....But any easting in the caribbean is a pain anyway. So east thru leeward islands or off South America it all sucks, which is why most sail past Bermuda then turn south to Virgins. The only REAL disadvantage to my route is the north flowing current from here to Florida. Finally done with that. As for wind and waves, we try to do passages when both are as low as possible. Having an efficient trawler has made this much nicer than on a sailboat I assume.

The original reason for this route was timing. My wife got Key West for the month of December as part of the deal to make this voyage. So leaving Key West in January, your options are extremely limited. Fighting East a couple hundred miles with constant cold fronts just didnt make sense. So we dropped south as fast as possible to minimize cold front exposure.

The next trick is getting from Panama to Grenada for next hurricane season. I think we will do Columbia to Puerto Rico and then down windwards. Most seem to think that jump is a bit crazy. Still figuring it out as Colombia seems constantly windy, and that passage will be about a day or twolonger than my wife would like to tolerate....
You realy have the boat for this trip, any kind of stabilizers in use? Because i will be sailing (A gentleman never sails to windward ;-)) i am planning to go through the Windward Passage en-route to the ABC Islands, then to the Lesser Antilles, Sint Maarten, to get to Trinidad.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #31

Yes we do have stabilizers. This boat is a ballasted full keel full displacement round bottom sailboat with a power boat top. So she rolls alot. Unlike a sailboat with sails up. It is a slow roll but my wife still doesnt like it. So I copied Larry M's paravane setup and built the same on mine. Cheapest option and I can use them at anchor. They work great, I would not do this trip without them.

I haven't really looked at your route, but a sailing friend of mine often references a book about sailing routes, maybe Jimmy Cornell? At the end of the day we go where we want, when we want mostly. Because we have found even if you do everything you are supposed to something always goes to sh#!. Hell even catching too many fish just slows you down! Just too many variables out here. Alot different then when we cruising the Chesapeake bay.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #32

I made the sailboat comment based on my previous experience. I have been offshore from Bermuda to New England in a Tartan 37. Just too much exposure to danger and the elements as I saw it. Also very fatiguing compared to sitting in a wheel house watching the screens so to speak. To each his own, but as you can tell by my dingy selection, I just prefer to be "inside".

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #33

I am a real.. real sailor, although i must admit after sailing 40+ years, behind the anchor i often look jalous to the people in their confy trawlers/motoryachts but when i am out on the blue sea i feel sad for them fighting wind and weather. I hang out on Trawler Forum because my age and wife push me more and more in the direction of a motorized water vehicle..

But no plan to sell yet. The Caribbean Hurricane Saeson started last week so i have till November finishing all my little projects to be able to share Christmas with my family on Bonaire and leave with my wife (she doesn't like my boat at all, she prefer planes) to Sint Maarten.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #34

Please explain "fighting wind and weather" as I see it the same way when looking at sailboaters in foul weather gear and harnesses. As I can go any direction at any speed regardless of wind, inside off a wheel house with glass and windshield wipers. I try not to "fight" mother nature of course, because she will always win eventually!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #35

Leaving Providencia very early tomorrow morning for San Andreas should be a 10-12hr run. Still a Colombian island, but need to clear in and out of every port here. Will probably spend a week or so then on to Albuquerque Cays to the south for some more pristine underwater time, before making Bocas by July 1. Having a blast!

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Scott: Do you still an agent to check/out each time?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #37

Yes. Mr. Bush gets $180 USD these days, and San Andreas will be $50 USD (can't remeber agent's name), because we are already in Colombia. Definately worth the stop, wish we could linger a bit longer but want to leave time for Albuquerque Cays since we missed Chinchorro Banks Mexico, and all of Belize's outer reefs. I'm mentally preparing for what Panama is going to get me for in fees!

We have picked up a traveling companion we first met in Isla Mujeres. His wife needs to fly home for emergency medical care for a while. So we will follow him to Bocas del Toro to keep an eye on him, as he has never single handed their sail boat

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
The good part (other than the cost), in Panama, is you can do the check in/out your self and it's good for a year (use to be).
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #39

The only thing I'm watching now is the San Blas situation. They removed the port captain from Provenier, now Portobello is used. Apparently Panama and the Kuna are in dispute. I will watch and wait until closer since it is still changing. We will be in Bocas for at least a month maybe two, because Caroline is flying home for a few weeks.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 11-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #40

After 3 months in Bocas del Toro, Panama, we will begin going east in a few days. Planned stops are: Escudo de Veraguas(offshore islands), the chargres river(jungle river safe for navigation), Portobello(like in the Jimmy Buffett song), Isla Linton(visiting friends), then on to San Blas by December 1st for 4 months. We of course will have the delorme tracker on, use satellite view for more fun, although lots of cloud cover here in Bocas on map. We have loaded 5 months of provisions on board ($4k (lots of rum and beer) and couple hundred pounds). Plan is to be in Cartagena sometime in April.

My wife is still dealing with the picture links in the blog, I asked her to fix the refit first All of the recent post and any going forward will be fine, she just has to change all the past ones from Picasa to Google.

Still have not run across a power boat of any kind actually moving anywhere, a few in marinas, but haven't moved in years. Anxious to see what the first cruising power boat will be! Side note: Richard on Dauntless plans on passing by San Blas in Feb. I gave him an invite to "stop in by boat", we'll see if he goes straight to the canal or not.

www.caribbeansealife.com

Tags
cat, cruising, krogen, lehman, refit