Bahamas (Abacos) 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Gearing up to leave for the Abacos about middle of May. This time planning of taking our time getting over. Probably will stop at Great Sale for a night to break up the day for the dog. Then on to Spanish Cay to clear customs and maybe a night. Probably will hang out for a few nights at Alans Pensacola Cay, Powell Cay, and Manjack Cay. Maybe anchor at Green Turtle a couple of nights then move around Whale Cay Passage to Bakers Bay. So many options from then on that we will just take it on a whim.

Great Guana, Man-O-War, Hope Town, Marsh Harbor, Pelican Cays, Fowl Cay Reef, Little Harbor so much to do! We will be working as hard as we can for you folks to get it all in. Troy has his papers for entry. passports are up to date. Installing the new charging upgrades next week. Things are shaping up.

Oh, did I mention that rum is cheap? I am thinking about the Exumas (where Beach House is) for next trip. The Abacos are just too easy. They are hard to get away from.

Anyone else going over in May and June?

Make sure you post the GPS coordinates of that recliner you left over there in the sand in case any of us want to try it out someday Don :)

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Hey Don,

We are going to head over the last two weeks of June and the first 8 to 10 days of July. Sounds like we may miss you again.

The new boat is in Sebastian, so we are looking at leaving from the Ft. Pierce inlet and going straight through to Grand Cay or Double breasted all in one day. Enter the banks near white sand, clear at Walkers then first night somewhere near Grand. After that take our time poking south down to the hub. We like Carters, Allen's P. Ambergris, Powell and Morraine.

We have stayed at Grand and double breasted, but not cleared at Walkers. Have you? New boat cruises happily at 15 knots, so that first day, about 110 miles, seems really do able to me. Thoughts?

Doug it has been so long since I was at Walkers, and not since it has reopened. That long channel going in is kind of dicey. Grande Cay is a little funky. Are you going to stay at Rosie's? Some of the prettiest water is at Double Breasted, but it is really shallow. When the wind is down we can anchor off and dinghy in. Great swimming.

110 miles will be a long day, but doable. There are a lot of advantages to a 15 knot cruise.

We will probably be headed back the second week of June. Then again maybe not. Enjoy that new boat. Sounds like you have a good start.

Make sure you post the GPS coordinates of that recliner you left over there in the sand in case any of us want to try it out someday Don :)

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Craig, I have the coordinates of the recliner, but if I tell you I will have to kill you.:D That recliner looks better every year!

img_148055_0_d0ff9d94406946a670696d1dd01f31c1.jpg

We may stay at Grand, if we do we will anchor out, that is what we have done in the past. DB is really not much further and I like the anchorages there. We didn't have any problems with getting into the inner harbor there between the sand bars, but we had good light. Lot of current in there as well, we set two hooks.

I have a buddy who told me that for a small additional fee (like $10) customs will come and clear you in Grand rather than Walkers. It makes sense really, since the officers likely live on Grand anyway. I'm kind of surprised they haven't moved the customs office there.

I'm not really comfortable waiting until Spanish to clear, it may take us a week to get there. We have had mixed experiences with Spanish...sometimes the people there are really nice, sometimes not so much. It is always really expensive though.

Don: We'll stop by and say hello on our way by. We're in Puerto Rico now but should be in your area at the same time. :D

Don: We'll stop by and say hello on our way by. We're in Puerto Rico now but should be in your area at the same time. :D

That would be great, Larry. What cruisers you guys are. Are you coming up from Eluthera or going around the Exumas outside?

Don: We're not sure yet. We're clearing in at Mayaguana and we'll figure our route from there. Any suggestions?

Larry, it will depend on how you want to travel. Going inside up the Exuma chain has some great stops with beautiful water. However, it is slower. If you want to get up the the Abacos fast probably the two least tricky places to enter the Sea of Abaco are the passage at North Man-O-War and Whale CayPassage. They are not well marked, so if you want the coordinates I will get them for you.

Of course, Mash Habour is the provisioning center for fuel and supplies. Probably the best fuel prices around. Marsh Harbour Marina usually has a competitive price. Maxwell's if you need groceries. Good selection.

Larry, it will depend on how you want to travel. Going inside up the Exuma chain has some great stops with beautiful water. However, it is slower. If you want to get up the the Abacos fast probably the two least tricky places to enter the Sea of Abaco are the passage at North Man-O-War and Whale CayPassage. They are not well marked, so if you want the coordinates I will get them for you.

Of course, Mash Habour is the provisioning center for fuel and supplies. Probably the best fuel prices around. Marsh Harbour Marina usually has a competitive price. Maxwell's if you need groceries. Good selection.

Don: Thanks for the info. No decisions yet but we'll keep you posted and hopefully we'll get together.

Don- wishing you the best this cruising season! Keep us posted- sounds like wonderful times.

Don- wishing you the best this cruising season! Keep us posted- sounds like wonderful times.

Thanks Tony. We have just had 3 days of almost perfect weather. Temperature in the low 80s, low humidity, and lots of sunshine. Doing projects on the boat doesn't seam bad under these conditions.

I just had lunch today with an old boating friend who lived within sight of your boat across at Waconda Point. He has sold his boat because of arthritis. It made me think a little. He asked if Lou and I were going over to the Bahamas without someone younger along. Of course we are planning just that. Now, I'm not sure how wise it is. I was wanting to hang out around the uninhabited Cays. Maybe not such a good idea. I will just have to thinki about it.

My grandson, Griffin. is going to be working the dock at Lake Shore this summer. His dad did that and lived the summer on our trawler. Probably the best summer of his life.

Have a great season with that great family and great boat. It won't be a late start for you this year.

Don, If you stop at Rosie's and see a big sport fish named Tumbleweed. Walk over and say hello to my friend John. He loves to hangout there.

Sure wish I was going with ya, Don. Maybe next year.

Don, wish I could go this year. Maybe after I retire in '15.
Be sure and check out the Green Turtle Club. They had their free dockage special which we took good advantage of. Free Gombay smashers for 5 days!

We are traveling to the Bahamas with friends on their boat (52' Ocean Yacht) and leaving from Stuart around the 3rd of June. Last I heard we were planning on checking in at Spanish Cay also. We plan on being in the Bahamas for about 20 days so we should get lots of rum drinks in also!
Looking forward to the trip.

We are traveling to the Bahamas with friends on their boat (52' Ocean Yacht) and leaving from Stuart around the 3rd of June. Last I heard we were planning on checking in at Spanish Cay also. We plan on being in the Bahamas for about 20 days so we should get lots of rum drinks in also!
Looking forward to the trip.

You are in for a great trip. The St. Lucie Inlet is far from my favorite. Looks like you will be taking the White Sand Ridge route to go on the Bank. Watch the water colors as the depth finder goes up from around 2000' to 30'. If the sun is right the water colors are spectacular. There is a possibility that we will be over there during the first couple of weeks or so of June. Keep us up on where you are.

Cap. Tim, we have taken advantage of the food/dockage deals at Green Turtle Club a few times. I still wind up with a large tab, but enjoy it. Kevin and the Gully Roosters play Wednesday nights.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom