Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #21

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
We may stop to say hello and offer help but certainly understand the hectic presail prep.
If not hopefully we can find each other on the water.

Bill

Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Still no pictures.......

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #23
Guru

City: Tampa
Very cool thread
I've subscribed so I can live vicariously

Quote:
Originally Posted by norumbega View Post
...They wanted to see our passports, my drivers license, social security card and our vessels' documentation...
The documentation I understand.
Passports? Drivers licenses? and Social Security Cards?

If you are a U.S. Citizen, in U.S. waters, you wouldn't necessarily have a passport.
Drivers licenses are issued by and remain property of their respective state of issue, not the federal government.
And a Social Security Card is generally not considered an acceptable for of valid ID since it lacks a photo. Heck, I haven't seen my Social Security Card in about a decade!

The last time I checked, you're not required to have "papers" in order to move freely within the states.

I'm certainly not suggesting anyone be discourteous or confrontational, and I'm happy to hear that they were courteous and professional (it's what I would expect), but the information you mentioned that they requested concerns me a bit.

Quote:
...I think they were also checking for outstanding warrants.
That would be SOP on any boarding I've ever conducted. Quite interesting what you run up on out on the water.

Quote:
It would be nice to have some kind of sticker to show that we passed inspection...they did give us a piece of paper to show if we are approached again for another inspection.
The boarding form will usually do it if conducted recently...unless they're looking for something specific.

Thanks for the thread...Really like the play by play of your travels.

Safe Travels....

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #24

I under stand that the lock at great bridge might be closed for a month or more to replace a valve in the bottom of the lock,they have to pump out the water and buila a coffadam around the valve and replace it, it has broken loose from the cement in the bottom
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Having just transited the ICW I can tell you that there are two places that are extremely shallow and should only be transited with an eye to the tides. First is Jekyll Creek just south of Brunswick, GA. I would only go through at high tide and honor the buoys not your charts. They are frequently moved due to constant shoaling. The other is Little Mud River, also in GA which I would transit at mid to high tide only. FYI, Magic draws 4'2".

Savannah is a great stop however you should be aware that the Savannah town dock, which is located 7 miles north on the Savannah River, can be fully occupied and there is no way to know in advance if that is the case. If it is occupied, you have no place to go except 7 miles back down the river as there are no marinas and no place to anchor. A better choice is Thunderbolt Marina, south of Savannah and a short taxi ride back to town.

If you need any advice on anchorages along the way, feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to help. Travel safe, Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jerry View Post
I under stand that the lock at great bridge might be closed for a month or more to replace a valve in the bottom of the lock...
I guess that would solve my issue of which canal to take! And Hmason thanks for the GA tips. We draw 5'6.

Dave
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Dave,
The Dismal Swamp route could be "iffy" with your draft. Check Waterway Cruising Guide | Home for updates on the GB lock. They are working around the problem by scheduling openings at low tides. Might be worth waiting for the tide. There are free docks at either end of the lock if you can grab one. Easy walk to shopping/restaurants etc. If not, the Atlantic Yacht Basin immediately after the lock is a good place and is a member of the "Buck a Foot" club. Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #28

Howard - thanks for the link. I had been trying to find a scheduled completion date but was unable. It looks like they are saying "around Thanksgiving" which is 2 weeks ahead of when we will be passing through.

Dave
Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Savannah is a great stop however you should be aware that the Savannah town dock, which is located 7 miles north on the Savannah River, can be fully occupied and there is no way to know in advance if that is the case. If it is occupied, you have no place to go except 7 miles back down the river as there are no marinas and no place to anchor. .............
Not true. There is the River Street Marketplace Dock:

River Street Market Place: Dock

Actually two separate docks run by the same dockmaster.

There is a dock at the Hyatt Hotel and one on the other side of the river at the Westin Hotel.

We have stayed at the River Street Marketplace Dock two or three times. Water and electric but no other facilities. You can call and make reservations.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
According to Active Captain there is all within a few blocks of each other....

1. River Street Dock
2. River Street Market place Dock
3. Savannah City Dock
4. Savannah Hyatt Dock
5. The Westin Savannah Harbor - across the river so dingy or the ferry
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Maine
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36' Europa MK II
Happy Holidays!

We're in Vero Beach enjoying the use of a car for our provisioning expeditions before crossing over to West End.

Boat has been a pleasure to live on over these last 3 1/2 months, just the perfect size for two people and a dog.
norumbega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #32
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Happy Holidays! We're in Vero Beach enjoying the use of a car for our provisioning expeditions before crossing over to West End. Boat has been a pleasure to live on over these last 3 1/2 months, just the perfect size for two people and a dog.
Good to hear! Don't expect much at West End, most boring place on planet earth. There restaurants suck, and the mosquitos are horrible at night. I recommend Green Turtle Cay if your going to the Abaco's there is also other great places like Hopetown and Man-O-War Cay.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
Veteran Member

We stayed at the River Street dock....then moved to the Hyatt Regency dock. There is a bolt poking out of the dock at the Hotel that could do serious damage to your boat. I mentioned this several times, but the 'dockmaster' is also the hotel handyman and accounts payable person, so I think the docks are 'out of sight, out of mind’. River street also had no apparent Dockmaster, we signed in with the parking lot attendant. The security gate is very tricky, so get the parking lot guy to show you how it works. River Street was by far the most uncomfortable because of it's location and the wash from tour boats and water taxis. We accumulated a lot of garbage between our boat and the dock, it can smell pretty bad. We'd stay at the hotel docks again, but not ever at the River Street docks.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

West End

We're going to meet some friends in Green Turtle, so our plan is to check in at West End, then over to Great Sail Cay, then to GTC. We stayed in a cottage at Hope Town two years ago right between the two bars....I think they were competing to see who could turn up their speakers the loudest. It went on for the whole week, so Hope Town sadly might not be on our list.

We'd like to hang around the Exumas after we meet up with our friends.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My message about the docks was re:Savannah...
Old 12-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
.............. River street also had no apparent Dockmaster, we signed in with the parking lot attendant. ............
The River Street Dock and the River Street Market Place Dock are owned by different companies but both managed (dockmaster) by a guy named Chaz. Call him on the phone for reservations or information.

The security gate may be difficult, but at least they have one.

You can get reviews of all these places on Active Captain.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Yes, we did call Chaz to make reservations, our comment was that we never actually met him, we were only at that dock for two nights. And we were glad for the security gate although we didn't learn how it worked until our last day the trick is to make sure both handles are lined up, then punch in the code. We're still concerned about the bolt sticking out of the dock at the Hyatt....we hope they address this.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Yes, we did call Chaz to make reservations, our comment was that we never actually met him, we were only at that dock for two nights. And we were glad for the security gate although we didn't learn how it worked until our last day the trick is to make sure both handles are lined up, then punch in the code. We're still concerned about the bolt sticking out of the dock at the Hyatt....we hope they address this.
My guess is that Chaz runs the two docks as a concession, much like the booths in the Market Place. As for the gates (we've stayed at both docks and both gates had problems), the other trick is to reach around and enter the code on the other side and use that handle.

On Active Captain and other sites, some of the reviews haven't been too nice, but you have to understand what you're getting - a dock, power and water in the heart of a major city. If you expect a team of uniformed dock hands to be waiting to catch your lines, if you're expecting tiled showers and heads and maybe a swimming pool and hot tub, you're going to be a little disappointed.

I'm not the most experienced operator in the country, but I have pretty well mastered the art of approaching a face dock (into the current) and putting the boat alongside so my wife can step off and handle the lines.

Savannah, GA jumps on the weekends and especially for festivals.