Is anyone traveling the NY Canals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacchus

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Bacchus
Vessel Make
MS 34 HT Trawler
Wondering if anyone is traveling the NY Canals since the recent reopening of Oneida Lk to Finger Lakes and Oswego sections.
We are getting ready to head E from Finger Lks to Albany and wondering what conditions are.
Don
'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

We were supposed to have been doing the canals this year but had to cancel the trip. From all the status emails I have been receiving from the NY Canal Authority regarding lock and section closings due to high water and current, I am sort of relieved we didn't go.

Everything is open now. However, there are extended areas of no wake zones due to the high water still. This includes the entire Oswego Canal. There is a paddlefest and a triathalon scheduled for this weekend so conditions must have improved a great deal.

I would expect more debris than normal but can't give you any first hand knowledge.

Everything is open now. However, there are extended areas of no wake zones due to the high water /QUOTE]

We are currently in the no wake zone between 24 - 25 - cs1 and water is high but surprisingly clear of debris... so far.

We are just starting out and a week later than planned.

Sorry for the misquote BB...
The update is mine... TF Phone App a little awkward at times

'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Planning to do canal trip

Hi, We are heading up to the Erie Canal from NJ--Last two weeks of July to mid August.

Like the include the Finger Lakes Region-- Let me know how your trip works out. How far East are you traveling?

John and Miri

Sorry for the misquote BB...
The update is mine... TF Phone App a little awkward at times

'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Didn't even notice. Glad you're finding it relatively free of debris. In the same circumstances, the Mississippi or Tenn Tom would be treacherous for a good while.

My Sharon Nad I brought a 4o' Searay from Beaufort NC to Toronto two weeks ago. The locks, yes the locks in the Oswego were full of debris we had to push our way through to get out. the Phoenix lock was the worst. $1300.00 propeller repair at 5knts.

The NY Stae Canals system is my favourite cruising ground but I'd love to see those union lock masters actually do some work. The one at the Phoenix lock shrugged her shoulders at the 6' tree stump in the lock.

My Sharon Nad I brought a 4o' Searay from Beaufort NC to Toronto two weeks ago. The locks, yes the locks in the Oswego were full of debris we had to push our way through to get out. the Phoenix lock was the worst. $1300.00 propeller repair at 5knts.

The NY Stae Canals system is my favourite cruising ground but I'd love to see those union lock masters actually do some work. The one at the Phoenix lock shrugged her shoulders at the 6' tree stump in the lock.

Good point on the locks. I've read of many people encountering debris (mild term, more like trees) in them.

I'll be somewhere on the Erie Canal between Oneida Lake and Buffalo from July 18th till the 24th. Hopefully the coast will be clear.

I'll be somewhere on the Erie Canal between Oneida Lake and Buffalo from July 18th till the 24th. Hopefully the coast will be clear.

Wayfarer...
Passed your way Sun headed E.
Canals were very clean for the rain & hi water we had.
Levels were still hi 24-25-CS1 but not much debris.
Don
MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Thanks Don, good to know. Safe travels!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom