Another little trip to the San Juans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
34' CHB
We headed up to West Sound on Orcas Is. I had not been up there before so it was new to us. I wanted to look at Skull Is., in Massacre Bay, great names huh? Has to do with battles fought by warring tribes of local Indians many moons ago. Supposedly Skull Is., was once littered with, well skulls, hence its name. Anyway we went up there during the period of much forest fire smoke and it was much like fog. But we dropped the pick just between the island and the big rock that sits just north of it. Spent two days and nights there and while there the smoke started to lift, then came back but it was still a pretty neat place. I managed to catch a pretty big dog fish on the rod while there but tossed it back, guess they are considered a game fish now or something. Used to be they were bait for other fish, times have changed. I did get a good picture of "Patrick" from SpongeBob Squarepants though!

Attachments

• IMG_5060.jpg
    IMG_5060.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5066.jpg
    IMG_5066.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5086.jpg
    IMG_5086.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5068.jpg
    IMG_5068.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5091.jpg
    IMG_5091.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 98
West Sound is seldom visited because of the lack of a village with the cruising "infrastructure", shops, etc., but we like it for a couple things: the Orcas Island Yacht Club has charming if minimal facility; picnic shelter, showers, open wifi, good dock. Right next door there is an excellent small restaurant.

Bill

I know that's all there but we stayed on the pick the whole time. I love being anchored out.

Back
Top Bottom