Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Anchored at Tangalooma Wrecks: Perfect!

Hi all

I am a long time viewer and never a poster but thought i would share where we are at the moment. We left Mooloolaba (Queensland, Australia) and headed to Moreton Island and have been anchored behind the Wrecks for a week now.

The weather has been the most perfect i have ever encountered. Each day has been less that 10 knots of wind, no clouds, 28 degrees C with water temp around 21 C.

Those from these parts will know how good this area can be with great fishing and diving for the whole family. Each day i have caught a nice snapper for dinner and enjoyed diving the wrecks and seeing with my kids the beautiful fish and dolphins which are in abundance.

When we first arrived we were the only boat. Now (school holidays start today) there are almost 20 boats of all types moored up.

So far the boat has performed well and no major problems. I do have an issue with the tender motor and its dog clutch is slipping so that has prevented us from going on the plane in the little boat. I will get this fixed when i leave for Manly Boat Harbor tomorrow morning. The tide rips through this area very fast so we will catch the incoming tide to Manly and gain some free speed (it makes about 2 knots difference to our displacement speed which we travel at.)

Anyway, just thought i would share a pleasant experience with everyone else.

Attached Thumbnails
imag0173.jpg  
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
RE: Anchored at Tangalooma Wrecks: Perfect!

*Google earth, what a wonderful place you have there. What is the story with all the wrecks?
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Wrecks are all former dredges from a long time ago. They could not be sold in working order so the Govt decided to form a partial barrier to the Westerly winds for anyone needing shelter in this part of the Bay. The wrecks were scuttled in a line and there are roughly 13 wrecks. Some have really dug into the sand and are now mostly below the surface. So the actual prtoection in minimal, hence a good weather forecast is required, which is what we have...

The wrecks provide an amazing fish habitat though. What is interesting is the sand spit extending off the Island is moving west towards the wrecks at a rate of roughly 1 metre per year...The channel between the island and the wrecks is getting smaller so will be interesting to see what happens in the years to come. I have been coming to this Island since i was a kid and twenty years ago the swim from the island to the wrecks was a lot further than what it is now!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan

** Thanks, the area is very pretty.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

I found the following on YouTube and now I'd like to visit!
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Ray,
It sure is a great place to anchoer up.
I used to go down the bay a fair bit but havn't been for a few years now.
The wrecks can get very crowded during holiday periods, but the bay is a pretty big area and as long as the westerlies don't blow up there are plenty of good anchorages on nice sandy bottom.
Bohans
have you left Mooloolaba for good or will you be back. I am presently at sea but will be back in about a week, I was going to drop down now that I can get my dinghy off the
top of the wheelhouse.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Benn
We just arrived back at Mooloolaba today. Had a great trip up from Manly where we were berthed while i had some work in Melbourne to do. The kids love it there as the pool and markets are close and it is where i grew up so know it very well.

We saw about 11 whales up close today. they were all headed south.

Beautiful day and we caught the entire run out tide out of the bay and the first of the incoming tide into the Mooloolah river, so am pleased with my planning.

we are permanently back at the Wharf Marina, so feel free to drop in. We are also here or never far away.

What you said about the Wrecks being crowded sure is true. when we left there were 60 boats...They anchor on top of you and it is never good...

Bo