Alternate small craft ICW route around St. Andrews Sound GA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Has anyone taken the small craft alternate ICW route around St. Andrews sound in GA?* It runs from Jekyll Sound and rejoins the ICW in the Cumberland river.* We will be heading through the area in early December and if the weather is wrong I'd like to use this route rather than transit the St. Andrews sound.* When we came through before it was a calm day and wasn't that rough, but I'd hate to run this route in any kind of wind or sea.*

I had a friend in a sailboat run the alternate route and he said to be sure to do it at high tide, but other than that I know nothing about it.*

We draw 4 feet.

Yes, we have done that a few times. We had no problems at all. I would probably do it at an incoming tide now as am note sure about the water depths.

Thanks!* Rising tide is always a rule with us when in uncharted waters.

In case anyone is interested:

a local told us that at 1/2 tide and rising I'd be OK with a 4 foot draft.* Unfortunately I took the St. Andrew Sound route and it was a real bitch.* I wouldn't reccomend the sound route (which is the magenta line) unless the wind is down or you have a boat bigger than mine.* We took some chop to the beam which tipped over every single thing that wasn't screwed to the deck.* Call me a wussie but it was bad, the ugliest thing I've seen in 12 years in any type of trawler.* The wind was predicted to be 10-15 from the NE and it turned out to be 20-25 from NE.* That extra 10 made the diff I*think.

Yes, Woody, I have made that trip numerous times and the wind is treacherous to say the least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom